Question about contacting individual schools right now

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by John Lee, Jun 16, 2013.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 16, 2013

For schools that have been out of school a full week now (i.e. school year ended June 6), what would be the best way of making specific contact? Ideally of course, you would have liked to have done it in-person when they were in-session. But it is what it is, and I do still want to make that impression (i.e. personal contact beyond general application).

Would schools that let out over a week ago, still be there (i.e. office)? If not, I would suppose that no one would be there to, to open/read regular mail. I could e-mail individual Principals, but again... do P's generally check on their e-mails right now? Compounding the situation is that a majority of those schools switched or have new site principals!

Wow... simple question, but I gave a long-winded background. Hope someone can help. :thumb:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2013

Schools in my district are generally shut down for the month of July. There are a few essential personnel around, but most folks, including admin, won't be back until August. It's best to get in touch with schools right away this week if you want to have the best chance of contacting a live person. I'd recommend calling as a first option, then email.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2013

Most schools with openings are going to want to wrap things up soon...stop by with or mail your package to every school within a reasonable commute distance.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2013

Schools in my area are open all summer for administrators. The district offices are also open. That may be the case in your area.

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 21, 2013

1) I've recently found that I just missed online deadlines for a couple of districts. In e-mailing these districts (asking if I can apply in-person), they've notified me that it is indeed too late. Would visiting schools in these districts then be a waste of time?

2) In visiting schools, can one be a bit less formal than a shirt and tie (for men)? I mean... shirt/tie makes me up-tight (somewhat defeating the purpose). And I also sweat like a hog in my monkey suit. (I also don't have A/C in my car, and it is now summer here.) Is it bad manner to show up a bit less formally, like a button-up short-sleeve shirt and pants)?

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 22, 2013

1) I wouldn't waste my time. They told you it was too late but keep checking over the summer just in case they re-open.

2) I'm in Florida so most men would wear a polo and khakis.