Question about Conceiving??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mrs.teacher5, Dec 17, 2008.

1. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

Dec 17, 2008

So we have had many posts about pregnancy/conceiving. I am wondering (of course only if you are comfortable :)) how long did it take you to get pregnant and how old were you the first time? It seems like it takes a lot long to get pregnant than it used to.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2008

Well, we tried for 9 years, then adopted my son.

Six months later I was pregnant, and again 3 years later.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2008

I got pregnant at 18 the first time my then BF now DH and I had sex. We miscarried. When I was 22, we decided to try again (though it was a if it happens, it happens kind of thing). I got off the pill in March, and in June we were pregnant. Then again when I was 26, though we lost her last year.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 17, 2008

I didn't get a chance to renew my patch perscription this month, and dh refuses to take any chances. Luckily he's been on a business trip for a week and I'm going home for Christmas for a week-otherwise it would be a long month! So in his mind, it happens immediatley. ;) No amount of protest will sway him.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 17, 2008

First time p.g. - got pregnant while trying hard to NOT get pregnant - I think it was the anniversary trip!

2nd time - another surprise!

3rd time- got preggo on the very first try

Was in my 30's each time.

I have read it is harder to get pg after being on the pill for a long time.

If you are very regular, you can time it pretty easily. Then you just have to hope it happens!

7. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Dec 17, 2008

Sigh. I'm 33 and have been trying for just over a year. No luck yet. Annoyingly, my period comes later and later each month, leading me to get my hopes up for nothing.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2008

I was 22 when I got pregnant the first time. We were not trying because I had been on BC pills for 5 years and even though my husband still does not believe me, I never missed a pill. We had only been married 6 months when I found out I was pregnant. The 2nd time I was 25 and we had been trying for a year when I got pregnant. After the 2nd baby, I never went back on the pill and we really did not take any precautions and surprise a year later, I was pregnant again. We learned our lesson that time and I talked my doctor into a tubal ligation even though I was only 27 and he will not normally do them before you are 30 years old.

9. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Dec 17, 2008

I was on the pill for about 6 years before I got pregnant. Got pregnant at 22 within 2 months of stopping the pill. Got pregnant again at 24 as soon as I decided to stop using the diaphragm (wanted to get pregnant again). Then got pregnant again at 28 while I had an IUD in me--that one was ectopic and I needed surgery. Then my hubby got a vasectomy.

10. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 17, 2008

Does it really take longer to get pregnant if you're on the pill??

I hear a lot of people say yes, but then there are others who are pregnant within a few months of going off.

My boss went off the pill earlier this year and was pregnant a month later! My husband seems to think it will take almost a year after I'm off for me to get pregnant...but I guess it just depends, huh?

I'm 26 now. I plan on getting pregnant with our first no later than 28. I want to have our first before I'm 30.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2008

I think that things happen when they happen, especially things like this.

Hoping for a time frame is one thing. But my experiences have shown me that this is something we cannot control.

12. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 17, 2008

I got pregnant right before my 26 birthday (I found out about a week after my birthday). :) I took us 20 months and 3 rounds of Clomid to get this little one, due in April. :) I really didn't think it would take this long, but my cycle got messed up after going off the pill. I was only on the pill about a year and a half (hubby and I waited until marriage for that kind of thing), but everybody reacts differently to it!

13. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2008

I do agree with this. I would have never dreamed of getting pregnant at 22 but it happened and while I was on the pill. The pill actually helped me get pregnant because I have hormones that were out of whack (real technical term). Being on the hormones on the pill got me pregant long enough to get the doctor to put me on stronger hormones to carry the pregnancy through. After many many blood tests, it was decided that I have a condition that causes my hormone levels to be lower and the older I woud get the harder it would be to get pregnant. I wanted children when I was in my 30's and my doctor told me it would the older I was the harder it would be for me to get pregnant. So we had 3 children and we are all growing up together

14. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 17, 2008

I agree it's not something we can really control. But I like to have a plan in mind, so I plan on going off the pill sometime around 28...and if it doesn't happen til I'm 30 then whatever...I'd just be happy it happened! :) But I still like to have a time frame in my mind, yet I realize things will happen when they do...and even if it's before...I'd still be just as happy! :)

15. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Dec 17, 2008

It really depends on the person. If you have had regular cycles your chances are better for conceiving quickly. I was on birth control for about 10 years and my cycles were back to normal right away. Some people take a while to get back on track after BCP, however.

16. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Dec 17, 2008

When I was 19 I was told that I would not be able to concieve naturally. Never used birth control and was living with boyfriend. Married boyfriend, stilll never needed BC and really wasn't even thinking about being a mom, when at 25, HELLO! Preggo! :)
    At 28, we decided to have another--after using BC since 1st was born. Went off pill July 1st. Got pregnant July 18. Yep--knew instantly. Hubby had been gone and this was his first night back, and I left the next day for a trip. Only possible time! :)

It's all on God's time table.

17. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Dec 17, 2008

I was 22 and I was not trying to get pregnant, it just happened.

18. Live4Learning

Live4Learning Rookie

Dec 18, 2008

I was 22 and we were trying. I was off the pill for a month before we conceived. I had been on it for 3 years. We figured we had a good 6 months before it would happen, but God had other plans. I am now 24 and thinking about trying for baby #2. Hubby wants to have our babies before he turns thirty. He's 26. I want 3 children, so basically he told me I have 4 years to have 2 more babies, lol. If that's the case I may only end up with 2 little preciouses! God willing I have the 2nd one of course. Nothing is guaranteed.

19. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2008

This must be a male thing because my husband said the same thing. We made it just under his time limit--my 3rd was born in June and hubby turned 30 in September!:)

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2008

My hubby said he wanted our first one before he turned 30. Well, he got his wish because she was early and was born in December and his bday is Jan 2.

21. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2008

First wife got pregnant each time she quit the pill. We had two.
    Second wife got pregnant immediately after stopping and we had a boy. Then while NURSING and taking low dose contraceptives she got preg. with our daughter (now 19 mos. old). She was 33 and 36 at both times (me 48 and 51).
    The boy is wearing me out. My first two were much more laid back. So they are 24,19,4 and 19 mos.

22. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Dec 18, 2008

I was 22 when I got pregnant (with my first and only child). We had only been trying to conceive for about 2 months, but I was charting, so I knew just when to try. ;0)

And I saw some questions about it, so I'll ago ahead and add that I had been on the pill for 4 years. I went off of it and got pregnant 3 months later.

23. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 18, 2008

You know this, but I will state the obvious. If one really wants to get pregnant, get the ovulation predictor test. It will tell you the exact day to get pregnant! Or anyway, the exact day you have the best chance. Worth any amount you spend.

24. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2008

If you don't first succeed....... try and try again.......:p:p

25. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Dec 18, 2008

I was off bc pills for one month the first time, but 7 weeks later that ended in a miscarriage. 5 years and a few months later I finally got pregnant again and had her at 7 months in November. She is now 3 weeks + a few days and almost ready to come home from the NICU:) I was 27 the first time and 33 this time. I would like to have at least one more (minus the pre-eclampsia) and probably will start trying again towards the end of summer.

26. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Dec 18, 2008

Wow, djmondi...congrats on your little girl coming home! That's great news!

27. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 19, 2008

Here is a random thought - if you want to be pregnant or are pregnant, you must read Childbirth Without Fear. It made a huge difference in my pregnancy. The doc who wrote it did studies of poor pg women. He mandated "2 egg and a quart of milk every day" which practically did away with pre-eclampsia in these women!!

28. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

The egg must do something special because I drank at least a half gallon of milk every day during my pregnancy! My husband was ready to buy me a cow:) I have just started going back to drinking a "normal" amount of milk each day - that was my biggest craving.

29. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2008

I was off the pill for one month when I got pregnant with my first. With my third child, I was off for about six months b4 getting pregnant. I think it may have something to do with the chemistry between partners and what is going on with your body.

My SIL did not use anything and it took her 5 years to get pregnant, then she had a second child one year later.

30. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Dec 20, 2008

I had my first at 23 after being on the pill for 3 years. Went off and was pregnant a month later. I had my second at 26, weren't really using any birth control then. They were both too easy!