Question about breaking a contract

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Bbiek001, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2014

Incredibly well said! :thumb:I agree whole heartedly!:wow:

2. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 3, 2014

We hired a teacher last year who worked for 3 weeks in another district before being hired at the last minute at my school. She's an older woman who had taken some years off and decided she wanted to go back, so she went back to the district she'd previously worked in. That district was previously one of the best in the state, and it's now been completely taken over by "reformers." They now have one of the highest turnover rates in the area, and it's been in national news for all the crap they are pulling. We started really late last year, so she'd already worked there for several weeks. I don't know how much my admin knew about the whole situation, but given that we all know how horrible that district is now it might have made a difference. Our new teacher orientation last year was practically a reunion of experienced teachers who had come over from this district, wanting out so badly that they were willing to take huge pay cuts and work with a much tougher population in lower performing schools. Honestly, I don't blame her for getting out while she had the opportunity.

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 3, 2014

19 years ago I broke a contract after teaching a week. I had very real reasons to do so. That was in January. I subbed the rest of e year and got a job for the fall. I've been teaching, and loving to for 18 years. It's not a career killer, but you need to be prepared to explain your reasons.

4. Bbiek001

Bbiek001 Rookie

Aug 3, 2014

Now you are just talking semantics. I would never leave this district. This is the district my children as well as nephew and niece are going to go to which is one of my main reasons I want to be there to help foster their education.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2014

My two cents- the situation you just described is vastly different. There was something wrong with the other district. I quit a job last year, too, and ended up with a maternity leave. However, the school wasn't doing things legally, basic supplies were missing, etc... There were a lot of things wrong and I wish I could have told all the parents to pull their kids. Oh, the P had previously been fired from another district due to embezzlement.

Leaving just because you prefer another district is another story. ESPECIALLY after the year started.

After my nightmare, I'm all for watching out for yourself when needed. But leaving a perfectly acceptable position after they've started, possibly effecting students, is plain selfish.

6. Bbiek001

Bbiek001 Rookie

Aug 3, 2014

I know most people do not qualify my reasoning as a real reason to do so, but I would only leave my current district for this district. It is the district of the town I live in, grew up in, and will live in the rest of my life. My whole family lives here and so will my parents for the rest of their lives. I am only tempted to leave due to it being as I have stated.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 3, 2014

You would leave the district if you were non-renewed or fired. It happens.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2014

I'm going to side with gr3. You may not plan to leave, but what if lay-offs happen or you are nonrenewed? You can't predict the future. There is a district near me that had to lay off all the way to 20 year veterans due to enrollment/budgets. I bet they never thought they'd be facing lay-off with 20 years of seniority.

9. Bbiek001

Bbiek001 Rookie

Aug 3, 2014

Realistically, the school year has not started and would be the day before school starts. I was only hired last Thursday and have yet to be contacted about what I will teach grade and subject wise.

10. Bbiek001

Bbiek001 Rookie

Aug 3, 2014

This is a very large district. They never let anyone go even when the job market was bad, and the job market has increased tremendously in the last two years. Obviously, if those things happened though I would deal with it as it comes. Also, per their bargaining agreement you are given first dibs at any other jobs that pop up in the district.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 3, 2014

Teachers get fired. Teachers get non-renewed. Teachers get destaffed. You could get an administrator that doesn't like you, or that you don't see eye to eye with. You could get an administrator that doesn't think you're effective. Things happen, and as such a late hire, you'd be the first person cut for any type of budget reason.

You need to do what you need to do, and it sounds like you've already decided. I wish you the best, but there are risks involved, and I'm afraid for you that this will be a difficult year if they don't offer you a job.

12. Bbiek001

Bbiek001 Rookie

Aug 3, 2014

Also, once again to clarify I know this is a bad situation to put my current district in. I know that doing this looks bad on my record. I came here for advice from people that have done this or the perspective of someone who is an administrator on this topic. I did not come here to get told what a horrible person I am. That is what it feels like most people on here have edged me toward. The difference in starting salary is 10000 which while monetary should not be your only concern that money can help me provide for my family, help me pay off loans, and invest in a house for my future. Sorry to make all of you feel so overwhelming mad at me. My apologies.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2014

In the last 12 years, the district I referred to earlier (laying off 20 year veterans) has closed 32 schools. Only 15 remain open. They've lost 2/3 of their schools, students, and teachers in a 12 year span. I bet 20 years ago, no one predicted that a district with nearly 50 school operating would shrink to 15.

14. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 3, 2014

I'm not mad at you, I don't think you're a terrible person. You asked a question, and I answered it as best I could. I can only assume everybody else did the same. I don't agree with the decision you're making, but I'm me, not you. I'm not going to sit here and judge you, but if you ask me for my opinion, I'm going to give it. I hope things turn out for the best, no matter how they end up.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2014

We would be extremely supportive if you were in a bad situation. Since you are not, it makes things very different. There are people on this forum that have been trying to get their first job for 3, 4, 5, or more years. You throwing away a perfectly good job will likely make quite a few people very unsympathetic.

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 3, 2014

You've gotten advice from at least one poster who has left mid-year. If you only want to listen to their advice it's up to you.

17. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 3, 2014

I don't think anyone is saying that you are a horrible person. We are just trying to point out realities that you might not have thought about, such as being non-renewed or fired.

Good luck with your interview.

18. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 3, 2014

Bbiek001, you don't want the opinions of the teachers who have lived these things. Why not call the administrators of the two schools involved and get their opinions? They truly are the only ones that matter, when all is said and done. Current job may consider you fickle and unsuitable, getting you out of that situation, and hopeful job may consider that you have broken a contract, making you undesirable for their needs, or, it may not matter to them, other than they may not be too happy with your presumption that you will be hired. Funny how that rubs some people the wrong way. Personally, I find you so focused on one district for a lifetime to be kind of freaky and close minded, but I am happy to be on the opposite coast with some variety in my life. Really, you don't need to talk to us, you should be talking to the people this is most going to impact beyond yourself. As I pointed out before, you have made your decision and you are looking for blessings that are not likely to come from here.

19. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 3, 2014

They don't let teachers go who underperform? They don't let teachers go who can't manage their classroom? They don't let teachers go who make many waves with staff or buck the system?

What do they do with them? Put them in roles that "don't matter" or leave them in classrooms to continue to be a problem?

Doesn't sound like a dream district.

20. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Aug 3, 2014

Which HR did you talk to, "dream district" or the current one? I hope you didn't mention anything to your current HR about doing this. :eek:

21. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Aug 3, 2014

I was offered a position at my Dream School for my first teaching position. I had subbed there for two years and did one of my internships there. I really thought I would be happy there and never leave. It turned out though I was wrong. I was miserable the entire year. There are so many aspects to a school that you don't see when you are a sub or student teacher. I never had to deal with administrators giving other teachers preferential treatment, teammates who talked about me behind my back, or expected to walk into a classroom with nothing but desks, and no other materials and being told to go by them myself. I left this school as soon as my contract was up and took a job somewhere that I would have never been interested in and "Guess What?" I was really happy there. If I didn't have to move out of state for my husband's job, I probably would still be there. You need to be open to a variety of opportunities and not burn bridges this early in your career because a Dream district may not be as good as it seems.

22. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2014

Since you posted this thread at 6pm yesterday, you have had over 1,100 views and 60 replies:whistle:...If you are surprised by the "passionate responses" to YOUR question, imagine what those others 1,040 viewers are thinking and NOT saying! :eek: Appreciate what we've offered. You will ultimately do what you want. On A to Z, if you ask, we will answer.

23. comaba

comaba Cohort

Aug 3, 2014

The whole discussion may be moot, since there's no guarantee that OP will be offered a job at the 'dream district'. If they know that he's already under contract, I think there would have to be a very compelling reason to offer him a job with the risk that the other district may not release him from his contract.

At any rate, CA ed code allows a district to suspend a credential for one year.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=edc&group=44001-45000&file=44420-44440

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  24. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 4, 2014

If OP is still reading this thread, I certainly hope that the above is one that comes through loud and clear. OP wanted to know what it is like for the admin, and you have answered beautifully and eloquently. I do believe that OP is going to do just what OP wants, but so many people have tried to explain why the sneaky interview is rubbing everyone the wrong way, and you have answered that beautifully. Well done.

25. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 4, 2014

I would be too worried about taking the time off from the district I signed the contract with for the first interview, and then possible a second interview and demo. What if all that time off during the first few days of school causes them to let you go? And with no guarantee you'll get the job with the "dream" district, what would be your options then?

26. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 4, 2014

Found out this morning that a teacher can break their contract up to two weeks before the first day of school. Today would've been the last day someone can resign (since kids return on August 18th).

27. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 4, 2014

OP,

I can understand a bit what you are going through as your situation sounds so similar to mine. While looking for my first teaching job, I had a dream district. I was so excited when I got an interview with that district. While waiting for that interview, I had other interviews, and one called me and offered me a teaching job. I did tell them I was interested, but I would need to call them in a few hours to give them my answer. Others soon asked me, Are you crazy? Take the job before they give it to someone else. I called hours later and accepted my first teaching job. (I now realize, I was lucky it was still there.) It was so hard to call the school in my "dream district", and tell them that I had already been hired, and I would not be attending the interview.

My first year was like many other first year teachers. Full of ups and downs, but nothing too bad. At the end of the year, I was able to get excellent recommendations from my P and VP. I got a call from a school in my "dream district". I not only got the interview, but a day later I got hired. I enjoyed my many years there before I decided to move to a private school.

I learned it is easier to get a job at your dream district once you have a year of experience and a letter of recommendation from a P where you taught, not just student-taught. Some things are worth waiting for. If you have an interview with your dream district with no teaching experience, how much more likely you will get it if you have one good year under your belt.

I hope my experience can help you some with your decision. I realize it is difficult to wait. I know it was for me. I learned though that "Heaven comes to those who wait."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.