Question About Behavior Management

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Emilylaurel, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Emilylaurel

Emilylaurel New Member

Sep 1, 2011

Hello!
    I am a Pre-K- 3rd grade education major getting ready to start my student teaching in the Spring. In my Classroom management class we were asked to post a question on a teacher message board to help us get real advice from experienced teachers.

After talking to other teachers and follow different blogs, I have learned about a lot of behavior management systems. The one that I have liked the best so far is clip chart. I like the idea of showing children that they can "come back" from bad behavior by making good choices.
    Is anyone using this type of system? If so what do you really like about it and what problems have you encountered?

3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 1, 2011

While that does work for a lot of students, there are those who abuse it. It almost inadvertantly teaches kids manipulation.

But, then again, I teach ED, so perhaps my viewpoint is a bit different.

4. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Sep 1, 2011

A frequent way to deal with problems associated with kids "earning back" reinforcement is to allow them to only earn a certain percentage (e.g., 50%) of their points/tokens back, which allows for both correction of misbehavior and loss of points.

Another way is to restart the interval of reinforcement more frequently, but allowing for no redemption. So, instead of allowing kids to trade in points or land on their final color at the end of each day, points could be traded in at the end of each class period (or a behavior sheet marked with a certain color at the end of each period). That way, kids have a chance to earn and experience success throughout the day even if they start rough, yet they still receive the consequences from earlier in the day.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2011

I use the system and find that it works well with many of my ED students. It encourages the students and allows students to see that good behavior is rewarded.

The problem that is encountered is the students that try to move up and down often. I nix this early and let students know that if they move down and back up, they still receive the consequence.

6. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

Sep 1, 2011

I use this system and I like it. My problem is that I forget to have mine move up. I move them down and when they're down, I do my best to acknowledge their better behavior.
    My other kiddos that are always on task or being good, etc...well, I often fail to acknowledge them. :( That is my own fault though.