Question about BC

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mstnteacherlady, Sep 18, 2009.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Sep 18, 2009

Ok, my regular women's doctor recently moved to a different state to practice closer to family, so I have been moved to a new doctor. I have my first appointment in a month (the absolute earliest I could get in because of the combining of offices). I am really wanting to talk to the doctor about birth control when I go, but thought I'd ask this here to see if anyone has had experience. Can you come off of birth control quickly or is it a med that has to be monitored and decreased over time? My df and I are wanting to go off the bc when we get married, so I want to go ahead and be thinking about it. I definitely plan to talk to the doctor before doing anything, but wondered what others had been through.

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 19, 2009

If you take a pill or use something like the Nuvaring, I believe you can stop when you want (read the directions though to be sure when) but something like a shot, etc would be "in you" for awhile and you might have side effects until it wears off. I wouldn't want a shot for that reason.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2009

You do not have to be weaned off, but it can take a few weeks to get fully out of your system. I'm not sure if that varies by bill or by just a person's chemistry, but it does.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 19, 2009

My doctor told me to start taking folic acid right away (can get in a woman's multi vitamin, I asked for prescription because I have an intolerance to zinc). And when you stop BC to wait three months before trying so that it is out of your system completely.

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2009

JamieMarie, My dr. advises the same thing. I think with any form of hormonal birth control, they "advise" waiting several months before getting pregnant. I know it can, and does, happen earlier, but it's best for your body and for the baby if you prepare your body the right way.
    Kim

7. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 19, 2009

I've been off it 7 months and I am still not "normal". We also aren't pregnant. Definitely start taking your vitamins now though.