Question about asking for Letters of Recommendation

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lisabobisa, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

Feb 4, 2013

I have my first job that I enjoy 75% of the time. For the most part I enjoy working with this population of students and parents, and most of administration have been good to me, but there are some things I don't like about the situation. (One BIG one being that I really really really dislike the cold.) I realize I have it great compared to other young teacher graduates my age who have been looking for jobs for years.

But this isn't my dream job or my dream location, and I'm young with no kids or family to hold me back from finding my dream job or my dream location. And because it's a "dream job" it's also kind of a long shot.

Having said that, I still would like to try for it, but I'm not sure how to go about asking for letters of recommendation from my current administration. I'm searching for a specific job in a specific location, and would only leave if that dream job did come up. I would not leave in the middle of the school year, this would involve a lot of time on my part as well as a move cross-country.

How can I ask for letters of recommendations without offending the administration at this current district?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Feb 4, 2013

If you could, wait to you renew your contract. Then I would sit down with them and let them know that you would like to explore the possibility of relocating. Most administrators will understand that. Even if you can't wait until you sign your contract it shouldn't be a problem. I have seen teachers not offered a contract because they were in an area where it was hard to fill certain positions late in the hiring season and administrators knew they were looking and wanted to fill the position as soon as possible.

4. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

Feb 5, 2013

Thanks! I didn't even think to bring it up when I renew my contrast.

5. redtop

redtop Companion

Feb 5, 2013

Let me ask a related question.

Some of the applications I have filled out for my wife ask for references. (Her administration knows she's looking.) In one case, I filled out an application yesterday for a district she probably doesn't want to teach in, which has no openings anyway. And they said "To be considered you have to get your references to complete these forms."

That seems like an awful imposition, because she could apply to 20 or 30 or 50 school districts. "Applying" meaning throwing her information online in case anyone looks at it. I just changed jobs, and my employer did reference checks, but it was the last stage of the process, after they had all but decided to hire me. Nobody in my field does reference checks until they're very serious.

[Sidebar, yes I know I have an attitude here, another school district had in big bold letters on their website basically "DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT APPLYING UNTIL WE HAVE YOUR ORIGINAL TRANSCRIPTS." Yes, I am doing handsprings to spend $25 to send you another set of my wife's original transcripts, so you can take someone with a Masters degree and 8 years experience and pay her $46,000 a year. Ooohhh, we're so eager to work there that of course we will send you original transcripts when you could learn the same thing from her own copies and then get the originals if you actually make her a job offer. We feel so privileged.]

Do we just blow off districts asking for this until they at least actually have a job opening? It doesn't seem fair to ask her principal and vice-principals to fill out these forms dozens of times.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2013

I wouldn't blow off any possibility...but I wouldn't have my spouse fill out job applications for me either.