Question about aides serving on school committees

Discussion in 'General Education' started by thesub, Sep 2, 2016.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 2, 2016

Hi: I am a p/t aide in my home school district (my kid goes in this district) and today was our staff orientation day. The P said there were several committees which needed members. I do have the time and I want to serve on one committee to participate more in my school. But other aides are against this. They ask am I crazy to work outside my contracted hours since I have to attend meetings? Very few aides in my school serve on committees.

Are there any aides here (esp. p/t) who served and had a good experience?

Thank you all so much,
    thesub

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 2, 2016

In my district. paras aren't allowed to do anything work-related on campus outside of their contract hours, since they are considered hourly employees, not salary employees. I can't speak to your specific situation because I don't know what your contract looks like, but if a para in my building with a kid in the school asked my opinion on joining committees, I would tell them to become more active in the PTA.

4. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 2, 2016

gr3teacher: My kid goes to the junior HS and I am in an elementary school. I get a cheque every 2 weeks and I work 4 hours daily, so am I an hourly or salaried employee?

Thank you,
    thesub

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2016

The frequency of the checks is less of an indicator. Do you have a contract? That said, ask the school admin if you are welcome to join these committees or are they looking for certificated teachers as members. It may be that you would be welcomed, or there may be rules that exclude you, but asking is by far the most productive course of action. My hat is off to you for even wanting to be a part of a committee, since many teachers dread it with every thread of their existence. If you are excluded by virtue of not being certificated, how about asking what you can do to be a more active participant and supporter of the school? You might find a different activity besides PTA that would allow you to grow in your position and make you feel closer to the school family.

6. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 3, 2016

vicilyn: good to hear from you! Since I missed the boat for any sort of teacher certification, I'm wondering is it possible to grow in an aide job, without certification? At the staff orientation, there was no indication that aides were excluded from these committees but you never know. I'm also wondering if the other aides are wary about these committees, maybe I should think twice.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2016

If you would like to be involved, ask admin. The other aides may just be there for the pay check. Not picking on aides - some teachers are there for the pay check, as well, and they avoid committees like the plague. Wherever you are "potted" for the time being you can do one of three things: wither and die, remain precisely the same, or you can grow. Decide which path you want to follow and make your choices based on that conscious decision. Just remember, there are lots of ways to grow, and you can wither on the vine by being disconnected from everything. The middle choice may seem ideal, but in life, if you aren't growing, you are just slowly dying.

Admin may say no one has ever asked to join before as an aide, but if nothing else, you have planted the seed of an idea that you can be more than aide with time and support. The worst answer is no, not getting fired. No isn't that big of a deal, is it? Try it! :hugs:

8. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 3, 2016

Thank you, Vickilyn. I will ask the P in the coming weeks. Your students are lucky to have you as a teacher.

9. renard

renard Companion

Sep 4, 2016

You need to ask admin. I know that I was asked specifically by admin to be on the literacy committee (since I am also a qualified teacher), but other non-teacher aides were also asked. My P was very big on everyone participating. Correct, many aides will have an issue with this - it's a draining job with little pay. You'll find long-term aides very strict about duties, and that's probably from their long-term perspective that is valid too. It's up to you.

10. renard

renard Companion

Sep 4, 2016

Not really. It's a bit dead-end in that sense. There are "better" aide jobs than others (such as braille, ASL, ESL, second languages - as opposed to very challenging high behaviours/profound disabilities/diaper changes). These are based on skill, obviously. There's no guarantee - I worked in second languages one year (easy peasy), and profound disabilities the next (if you're good at your job, they will also give you more difficult work). Teacher qualifications are really the only way to move up. There are supervisor aides in some districts, but that's after many years of experience.

11. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 4, 2016

12. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 4, 2016

Thank you, Renard. I will be cautious with regards to school committees.
    I am a volunteer ESL tutor in public libraries, so sometimes I feel I am "teaching" a bit:)).

Enjoy the long weekend!