Quantitative and Qualitative Research Articles

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ms_chandler, Sep 12, 2009.

1. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Sep 12, 2009

For my grad research class, I have to find an article on quantitative research and another one on qualitative research. I haven't done research since 2002, so it took me awhile to even get on ERIC through online access.

Anyways, it can be on any topics, but I am not having success. There are thousands of articles, even when I pick a topic, and I can't tell which ones are truly research.

Can anyone help me please? Thanks!

3. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Sep 12, 2009

ERIC isn't always the best source for research articles. Usually, if you are a student you can access research journals online, full text. That's your best bet. Is the article ON qual and quant research or articles that USE qualitative and quantitative research?

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2009

I just took that class (I think). Are you going through walden? I found my articles in their library (usually education research complete database).

5. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Sep 12, 2009

I used my school library resources as well... had to do the exact same thing. good luck!

6. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Sep 12, 2009

One article has to use qualitative research and the other has to use quantitative research. It can be on any topic, just as long as one of methods is used.

So, besides ERIC, what would be best? I am using my university's library resources, but I have no idea which one to choose out of all of them. I only have used ERIC, and that was back in 2002.

(No, I don't attend Walden. I attend a brick-and-mortar university in my area.)

THANKS!

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 12, 2009

Have you searched Google Scholar?

Or, maybe going to the library and looking at education journals would be easiest.

8. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Sep 12, 2009

Go to your school website, then to the library page. There should be a log in/access for scholarly journals. There are TONS of scholarly education journals. Hopefully, your school has a link for "education journals" because there are hundreds of different education journals.

9. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Sep 13, 2009

...What rachaelski said. :)

Some of the databases (not journals) i use to search for journal articles are Academic search Premier, Psychinfo, ERIC, JSTOR (for old articles), and Education Abstracts.

You might also want to go into the library, find a librarian, and tell her what you need. They are always more than willing to take the time to explain to you what you need to do, to get the info that you are looking for.

Good luck!

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2009

Like I said, I usually use education research complete.

11. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Sep 13, 2009

I had no problem finding research articles on ERIC and JSTOR. Perhaps if you pick a general topic (language testing, reading, dyslexia, science) then you can start by searching for a research journal and then find articles in it that interest you.

12. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2009

I feel your pain! I'm in grad school--got my undergrad degree 30 years ago! We didn't even have computers then! I sound like a relic! But yeah, that's exactly what we had to find--qual. vs. quan. ERIC is good if you can find articles that there is a full-text format for! Good luck!