Quality furniture?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Nov 10, 2013.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2013

I have been very unhappy with La-Z-Boy furniture over the past several years. Their seat cushions and backs don't keep their "life" past a couple years. We had a loveseat that looked sad and pathetic after three years. Sure, I'm not light as a feather, but especially without children and guests, the thing should have held up much longer. I mean, my mamaw and papaw's furniture is much older than I am and looks fantastic. (They really don't make things liked they used to!) Anyway, I chalked it up to the fabric type so I replaced it two years ago with another loveseat with seemingly more durable fabric, and just this weekend the piping has popped out of the cushion. Additionally, the arms on both pieces are horrible in that they appear soft and rounded, but if you lean on them you'll be met with hard, cornered wood. We have one piece from them that still looks nice, but generally speaking, I am not impressed.

Point is, I am looking for a sectional (probably...but a couch and chair-and-a-half or chaise-type piece are also possibilities). Any recommendations for quality furniture?

3. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 10, 2013

I don't know if they have this near you but what about Ashley Home Furniture. It is not "quality" furniture but all of it has stood the test of time with us. We got the recommendation from my brother who has two kids and their stuff looks brand new, years later

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2013

I've been to an Ashley store a few times...but I was strongly advised by a friend who is an interior designer to go a different direction due to quality issues. But I am glad to hear they held up! If I could get good stuff at a more affordable price, that's awesome. :)

5. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 10, 2013

I was told that also but I saw my brother's (white!) couch after two kids and took a chance. We have a dog who is one the couch scratching all the time and you would never know. Honestly, our furniture from Ashley is holding up better than our super expensive bedroom furniture from some high quality place that I forgot the name of (Tom's Price?). Good luck!

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Nov 10, 2013

I would recommend Ethan Allen. I purchased my bedroom set from them 35 years ago and it looks good as new. My family room furniture also was purchased there about 15 years ago and is just starting to show some wear and tear.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 10, 2013

None of my furniture is newer than 20 years, so I'm not much help I suppose. I have pieces from Ethan Allen, Bassett, and Broyhill.

I keep having new foam put in cushions because I can't find a sofa style and quality I like. It's just me and no pets, so I'm not hard on furniture.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2013

Thanks, ya'll.

Ima, do you just have a local shop do that?

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 10, 2013

My EX's aunt & uncle do upholstery work. They have a shop in Harrodsburg.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2013

I don't think it's in your area, but our sectional is from Badcock. It's holding up really well. We do, however, have the hard armrest issue (though the cat seems to prefer those spots for lounging).

You're right about quality - I have a Thomasville wall unit and kitchen table/chairs from my grandmother. Both are around 70 years old and in far better condition that our newer furniture.