Qualified to teach

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by townguy, Sep 29, 2010.

1. townguy

townguy New Member

Sep 29, 2010

I want to go into teaching and hopefully work my way into administration someday. My issue however is that even with a BA in Business Adminstration and a masters in Sports Administration I'm still not really qualified to teach anywhere. After 6 years of school I really don't like the idea of more school to obtain a teaching degree but it looks like this might be my only option. I know there are many online programs and was hoping I might get some insight on some decent online programs to look at to pursue an education degree. Thanks

3. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Oct 12, 2010

I know there are a lot of on-line programs, but you might want to look at an alternative program. That's what I did and it turned out OK for me. Different states have different rules on them, though. Mine was much cheaper and allowed me to work and be paid as a first year teacher for two years while I qualified for a license.

4. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Oct 12, 2010

I think this is one of the problems with K-12 education requirements for teachers. College professors need to be experts in their fields, no teaching classes needed, but of course teaching is a part of their duties but they don't go through extra programs for it.

If you have a degree in a certain subject, you should have to take some education classes and have training indeed, but to go through a 40K program has made a lot of people change their minds. There is no program that can teach you how to teach, nor or there any strategies that will work in every scenario. It's really an art..

I had so many years of schooling and I was so burnt out that I barely made it through my program. Had to switch from brick and mortar to online.

I'd definitely do as Kate said and try alternative if that's possible in your area. It's gotta be hard to take on more student loan debt.

Online is very expensive and still very hard IMO. Well at least Drexel was. I'd recommend Drexel University as an online program. Still lots of work though. But they're very organized and professional.
    Good luck.

5. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Oct 17, 2010

I don't know if you're still checking this post, but my alt program was cheap enough that I was able to pay out of pocket on a first year teacher's salary.