Q. Why do you want a position with ...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by chasisaac, Apr 9, 2012.

1. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Apr 9, 2012

On application: Why do you want a work for ______ school district?

Uhm . . . because you have a job opening and I want a job?

There is one district I can answer that question and this because I live in that district.

What do you say, I have heard good things about your SD from parents. You use technology (how lame is that).

Any suggestions.

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 9, 2012

I think they want to know why you want to work for THEM. They want someone who is a good fit for them and really values what makes their district different from the others.

To answer this question, I peruse the district's website, the school's individual websites - any websites I can find. I also look up data about the school -demographics, API (is that a CA term?), test scores, etc. I find their vision and mission statement and see how it aligns with what I believe. I find things they are proud of and mention those. Are they having great success in raising achievement of their English Learners? Are they piloting a new, exciting technology program? Are they really focused on character education? There is SOMETHING unique about that district, and they want to know that you value that about them as much as they value it about themselves! They want people who don't just want to teach, but who want to teach for THEM.

Hope that helps. :)

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2012

I think you really have to do your homework.

You have to hit their website, look at their numbers, look at sites like Great Schools. You need to know about their literacy program, how they do at state testing, what separates them from all the other districts out there.

They don't WANT someone who wants any job. They want someone who wants THEM.

5. dragonflym

dragonflym Rookie

Apr 9, 2012

Yes, when I've been applying I've looked at the websites and seen how well their teaching philosophy mirrors my own. I think it's difficult to work someplace where you don't quite fit or where you're looking to work only for the paycheck. I think that you have to look, as yellowdaisies and Aliceacc said at what is it about their district that makes you want to work for them. Good luck on your search! :)

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2012

What do you do if their website just isn't that informative? I've had this problem with pretty much any school I've applied to. School mission statements pretty much all say the same thing worded differently. I've never found anything about specific learning programs, curriculum, character education, etc. on a website.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 9, 2012

On the school's own Web site, I'd look for a statement from the principal, mottos, photos that show projects or other activities at the school, and the like; if teachers have blogs that are public, I'd look at those, so it might be necessary to page all through the Web site and check out the pages not just for the grades I'm applying in but also the other grades.

I might look at the district Web site for clues: if teachers at school X are involved in learning or implementing something at the district level, the chances are decent that that program is happening at the school, and in any case it would be worth knowing about. I might also search for the school name on the Web site of the county or state office of education.

I'd look for articles about the school on the Web sites of the local media outlets. I'd check out the demographics: it's amazing what you can find out about a school by checking realtors' Web sites.

I might even look for references to an elementary school on the Web site of the middle school and high school it feeds, and I might also search the Web pages of the local schools of education.