Q about Scholastic book orders

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Oct 4, 2008.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Oct 4, 2008

Do any of you guys buy books through your monthly book orders? I've only got ten kids and none of them have sent forms back to me. I'd still like to order some books for my classroom library but I've never ordered through Scholastic before. Is it a painless process?

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 4, 2008

Yes. I order a lot. I often only get 2-3 kids who order each time, but the points will add up. I also always order something, often it's the 1.00 books. I'll order either a class set or a book club set of 6. I have many, many chapter books for book clubs this way. I can't use them now, but will again when I teacher intermediate again.

One (sneaky) thing I have done is give the kids time to LOOK at the book orders. They will start talking about the books and go home and ask for them. Sometimes they will start to circle things, and that's ok with me! You can also send home the Click (I think that's what it's called) which are computer and audio items.

Another great thing is to do math with the book orders. We have done Classrooms Care and they would donate 100 books to charity. I had the kids go through the orders and determine how much 100 books would cost. They get good and buy the sets of 6 and things like that, but it's good math skills. We connect this to charity, so it's not like they are thinking about how much money THEY would spend on books.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 4, 2008

We're doing the classrooms care thing now, too. I have 13 kids in class and usually have $50 or $60 orders. The points sure do add up. One year my kids didn't order much, so I ordered personally. There's no difference from ordering for students. It's simple - and there's no shipping charged.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 4, 2008

I order books almost every month. Either I find something new to go with something we teach or I buy more copies of class favorites. Kids love to read the books I have read to the class, but I try to keep one "good" copy of books that go with our learning objectives. Scholastic books are a great way to get extra copies for the class library. I also order my students a $1 book for the Holidays and you earn points if you have to pay for them, or you can use bonus points!

6. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Oct 5, 2008

Ha! Ha! Ha!

I, too, am sneaky and let the children look at the book orders in class. We spend about 5-10 minutes and I let them share with their friends something they found in the order. I also type up a "Mrs. so and so" recommends books so and so. Or I'll say "Michael, look on page blah, blah. Did you notice the Naruto book there? Don't you like Naruto?". That gets them excited.

I told them I didn't like Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and guess what? 2 children ordered it.

I get sooooo excited when the catalog arrives. I get to see all the neat books offered and great teacher deals, too. This is how I am able to build up books in my library. Such excitement!!

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2008

:DIt works! I did this for the September flyer and got over $118 of orders. I forgot to do this for my October order, and I only received a $21 order. :(boo hoo.
    :love:

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2008

It is so much fun! I'm like a kid in a candy store! hehe
    If you have an order under $20; you will have to pay shipping. BUT, if you fax in your under $20 order, it's free!
    Zoom, have you tried to set up online ordering? This is my first year to do this and it's FUN! Don't forget...the Sept. flyer gives you $20 of free books with the first $20 order; after that; you will receive $10 of books each month with an order over $20! I believe you can use the Sept flyer up to 3 months later (Dec.).

9. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Oct 5, 2008

I aklways buy books for my classroom thru the book orders. My last one I only had a $9 order so I had to get to $20. I changed grade levels so that isn't too hard to do.

I really like the idea of giving the kids time in school to look thru the book order. Sneaky!:)

10. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Oct 5, 2008

How long does it take for book orders to come in, typically? I mailed in my form.

11. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 5, 2008

I have collect quiet a nice collection of books for my classroom library and small groups as well as a couple of sets for large groups through the monthly book orders. The kids get really excited (I am sneaky also) and love to look at them when I pass them out. Some students order some can't but I always make sure I have at least the minimum to be able to use the coupon (usually order more than enough). They are a great way to collect a quality children's library and also the bonus points add up very quickly. I have gotten some very nice items through the book clubs' bonus points for my classroom.

12. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2008

We sound like we're all brainwashed by Scholastic, don't we? :haha:

I love Scholastic and order every month even when my students don't. Plus, I give flyers to friends with preschoolers and they often order, too. I've even given a flyer to my principal and she ordered for her young daughter. Don't forget school secretaries!

Much of my school library and my son's personal library are through scholastic. I used to always order from the Honeybee catalog to get board books for my son.

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2008

:DMy sister and another friend have accessability to my online ordering. :love:

14. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2008

not sure about mailins, Lou Reed. Just a question...why didn't you call the 800 # and place an order? It's really quick that way. My stuff arrives in days! This year, I am doing fax orders (when my order is under $20) and online ordering. Very quick with the online ordering too.

15. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 5, 2008

I placed an online order that I wanted to get before the kids were out for the break. I forgot to place the order on the Friday that I had the orders due. Ended up not placing it until late on Saturday night and with having them express it (Red Apple) I had it before lunch was over on Thursday. I thought that was an awesome turn around time since they probably didn't actually process it until Monday.

16. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 5, 2008

i love scholastic! i also let my kids browse the flyer before it goes home, and each month i order a free book for the kids who buy a book, I usually get a 1.00 book and use bonus points for it. this gets the kids to want to order~ and i love their faces when I give them a free new book! what better way to encourage reading?

17. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 5, 2008

oh I wanted to add that if you google scholastic book coupons, you can get coupon codes for more free books :)

18. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 5, 2008

great idea mom2ohc I have given mine books before for special events (holiday break, birthday) but I like the idea of giving them a new book when they place an order. Hmmm, will have to keep that in mind for this next time.

19. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 5, 2008

:) do you order online? pc72058 I think is a code for a free book :)

20. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2008

GREAT IDEA!

21. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2008

Rats! Didn't work for me!:mad:

22. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 6, 2008

Ok, I will check it out at school tomorrow, I know i have a code

pc71449

23. Lilymax

Lilymax Rookie

Oct 8, 2008

I have a question, and I find that Scholastic is slow about responding to email questions.

Does anyone know if you can order online from two different catalogs/grade levels? I teach elementary art at a homeschooling academy and want to order books for my sons in 1st and 5th grades (plus earn books for giveaways, etc.). I looked around online but it appeared that I had to choose one grade level (SeeSaw, etc.) before starting the ordering process.

If I were to place orders for September's $20 deal, from both Arrow and SeeSaw, would I be able to get two of the $20 deals since I would spend twenty from each catalog?

Gee, can you tell I'm totally new to this? LOL Thanks in advance for any advice.

24. forkids

forkids Cohort

Oct 8, 2008

Lilymax, yes you can place orders from as many different catalogs/grade levels as you want and get the $20 deal from each one - I do it all the time. Just click on "add another order" or something like that to input the catalog numbers and start more than one order.

25. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Oct 8, 2008

I have set up online ordering. It is great.

26. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2008

You can put up to 5 catalogs on a single order. When you first log on to start a new order, it will ask you to enter the catalog codes. You can get them from the back of the catalog (above the mailing address) or from a small box at the bottom (or maybe it's the top) of the student order form.

27. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 9, 2008

pc70045, that one for sure!

28. Lilymax

Lilymax Rookie

Oct 9, 2008

Thanks SO much for answering my question...that is very good to know! Going to place my order over the weekend.

29. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Oct 13, 2008

If you go here:

http://teacher.scholastic.com/clubs/seesaw/index.htm

You can print out a letter to parents in both English and Spanish that explains ordering but also recommends some books and gives you a place to recommend too. I did it this time and had many kids order the books I suggested! The link above goes to SeeSaw but you can choose the catalog you use from the left hand side of the page.

30. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Oct 13, 2008

What have you purchased with bonus points from their bonus catalog? I thought about the kid couch and the tabletop easel, but I wonder how good of quality they are.

31. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Oct 13, 2008

I have another trick! I look over the flyer, find a book I already own and read just enough of it to the kids to get them interested in it, then I point it out in the flyer! Nine times out of ten several kids will order it (and read it!)

32. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Oct 13, 2008

Thank for the free book coupon! Please let me know, if there is any others.:atoz_love: