Pythagorean Theorem and Systems of Equations

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by TxMaThTeAcHeR, Dec 19, 2010.

1. TxMaThTeAcHeR

TxMaThTeAcHeR Rookie

Dec 19, 2010

Happy Holidays Everyone!
    So I am looking for a couple projects for my students to do the last two days before christmas break. One of my classes is working on Pythagorean Theorem - I have a project I normally do with this topic, but we need compasses to do it, and I currently don't have any at the school (I'm the only math teacher, so no one to share resources with :( ). So looking to see if anyone has any tried and true projects that don't involve writing papers... and somehow involving art? Same with systems of equations. I have a project I normally do, but just looking for some other ideas if anyone has any good ones :)
    Thanks everyone!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2010

We have our students use three squares to prove the Pythagorean theorem. All they would need is a ruler, scissors, paper (construction paper works best) and tape. It's pretty easy to do and fun for the students.

4. G00d d00bie

G00d d00bie Rookie

Dec 22, 2010

Ok, mopar. Now for systems, you might use cups and tiles in a cheap y = y solution to solve for x.
    For most any topic you can play a game of pin the tail on the donkey. Groups use their group numbers in a problem. While two group members work out the answer with their group number the third is directing the fourth who is blind-folded to the board where circles are identified as belonging to specific groups (e.g. group 1 circles have no.1 above them, group 2 has 2 above them, etc.). After the solution is obtained the first two may join in trying to give directions or keep quiet if they realize the additional confusion isn't helping. They have to get the right answer in the right circles.
    Pin the tail gets really noisey with groups trying to out-shout each other.
    After each round, show how the general answer is obtained.
    I didn't have a lot of time for games this year. I had 30 hours less instructional time this year than two years ago - only 35 minute classes compared to the traditional schedule.
    Hey - aren't they supposed to have a certain number of seat-hours?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010