Puzzles, Manipulative, Classroom Supplies

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by msaly, Jul 30, 2012.

1. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

Just moved from the west coast to the east coast and sold pretty much all of my toys/manipulatives, puzzles, etc. My new classroom has VERY little supplies. It has a few things for dramatic play, 2 or 3 puzzles, and a few art things. I am in need of Science and math center items, manipulatives, puzzles, other toys, etc. Does anyone know of a website with used or cheaper options? I have looked at craigslist, and haven't had much luck. I can order online at lakeshore, however I need quite a bit of stuff, and I have to spend my own money.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 30, 2012

If I were you, I would go to Dollar Tree first and get whatever I could use there. Then, fill in with the better quality stuff. I would also shop the thrift stores.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

Garage sales

5. christine89

christine89 Companion

Jul 30, 2012

Dollar Stores, Garage Sales, Thrift Stores should all give you some great cheap finds!!

6. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Jul 30, 2012

I don't know if every area does this, but in my area, there are several Facebook for sale groups where members post things they want to sell. I have found a lot of items for my classroom on these kind of groups (books, toys, storage boxes, etc). The way they work is kind of like an online garage sale. You tell the seller what you want to buy, they hold the item for you, and you meet up to buy the item. Usually if I don't know the person, I always meet in a public place, like a Walmart parking lot or something, rather than going to a persons house.

7. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

I checked the dollar store, they dont have much toy/manipulative wise. I already have posters/etc. I did find a 1 game and 2 puzzles. However I forgot about goodwill! I will check to see if there is a store close to me. I have checked garage sale postings too, there are a few this coming weekend. I will check facebook too! Thanks for the ideas!!

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 30, 2012

Try to think about around the house things that the parents and other teachers could start collecting for you. Milk jug lids are great counters. Kelly's Kindergarten has awesome games to print out and lots of ideas for games using dollar store or Big Lots items. http://www.kellyskindergarten.com/

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2012

Check with some of the old teachers who are there and see IF they can spare some of their goodies for rotation until you get some of your own. It does not hurt to ask.
    Meanwhile.....
    -Have the children make their own puzzles; Write their whole names in bubble letters, have them draw pictures of themselves and families OR whatever they want to draw. Make sure you date them. Ask them how many pieces they want their puzzles cut into, laminate them, and cut into the # of pieces they wanted. You can pretty much know who needs more pieces than the number they want, so use you judgement, and suggest a higher number, if needed. I've had children tell me, "TWO!", and I was like, "Not happening! You can do a higher number of pieces!":) Place them in ziploc bags, label them, and they are ready to go. IF YOU PREFER, you can do the names on one side and the drawings on the other side. That way you have 2 puzzles for each child! Have them color their names, or if you prefer you can print their whole names above the bubble ones. Let them color the bubble letters and don't worry if they can't stay in the lines. It's a development mark at this time of their lives, SO it's all good!:cool:
    -Sorting games...Plastic eggs in egg cartons; have 2 of each color in a carton and have them place the eggs in pairs. You can also use them as a game of SPEED SORTING where 2 or more children can have a race of pairing up/snapping the plastic egg halves, and placing them in the egg cartons in matching pairs in the egg cartons.
    -Scooping beans from the left to the right in bowls. This reinforces the reading; from left to right, when they start to read.
    -Water pouring; Have a small water pitcher half way full with water available on a tray, with cups marked 1/4, 1/2 and full. Have the children practice pouring the water. They would love it!
    -Have a lot of Math folder games available for table time. These can be easily made by cutting out pictures in catalogs, laminate them and use, OR make matching shapes, matching number ones.
    -Have memory games available for them. This is a hit with my Pre-K class! You can just use small flash cards, pictures from books, make your own; using 3 x 5 cards or smaller ones, laminate them and you've got it made in the shade.
    -Sink and Float...You know how to do this.:)
    -Shaving cream on trays for writing names, numbers, letters, and drawing pictures, shapes, or whatever...
    -Magnet tray; magnets, and have the stuff that they need to see if they can be picked up by the magnets in a ziploc bag; paper, paper clips, nails, pieces of wood, bottle caps, plastic things like legos, and blocks, etc.
    -Last, but not the least; smelling containers; use film containers. Check with a photo developing place; Fotomat, any one else? Who still uses these places anymore?:) Cotton ball inside, a drop of vanilla extract, perfume, or whatever you'd like them to smell. Mark the containers with what you have in there, so they can learn to recognize the words, and start to read them, etc.
    When I remember anything else I missed, I'll key it to ya.
    Good luck, and enjoy your new school!:D
    Rebel1

10. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2012

Any luck on your search msaly?
    Rebel1

11. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jul 31, 2012

Thanks for the great ideas Rebel!! I was panicking after I saw my empty classroom and I am thankful for everyones great ideas!

I make a matching/memory game with the kids pictures on it, but I love the idea of making puzzles! I also have some file folder games, and I found a magnet set in the closet :)

Great idea on the scent containers!! I usually use plastic baby food jars, but I mentioned your idea in passing to my mom and she told me my dad has an entire shoe type box of undeveloped film in film canisters that I can have!!

I asked the other teachers if they had any extras, and 2 of them told me they didn't, that they took things from another room because they were short too, I asked what room (thinking it was an empty classroom) and it turned out to be my room :( I talked to my boss about it, and she gave me a small stipend to use to get basic things, she said normally we are responsible for extra things we want in the room, but she wasn't aware how empty it was. I am going to try goodwill sometime this week- and I found a facebook group like saralynn suggested and I am waiting to be "accepted".

I'm sure my room will turn out great :)

12. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 2, 2012

I have definitely BTDT. I spent one summer stocking an empty classroom from Goodwill, eBay, garage sales, and Craig's List. Hitting those retiring teacher garage sales right after school is out is always a sure bet :) I have several cheap and easy DIY ideas for your science center. Maybe you can find some other ideas on my center photos page. Best of luck!

13. msaly

msaly Comrade

Aug 3, 2012

I found someone on craigslist who had a box full of peg boards, color games, 2 learning board games, a ton of puzzles and books all for $10! I have a list of garage sales to go to tomorrow and saturday! I found 2 retail goodwill stores, I will try next week if I dont find anything at the garage sales!

Thanks for your links Vannapk! Im going to check them out now!

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 3, 2012

Did you try Jem? She has a great used online store. It is called Sprout.

15. msaly

msaly Comrade

Aug 3, 2012

ill check it out! thanks!:)

16. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 3, 2012

Oh! Jem has had some stuff that was sooo hard for me to find in the past!