Putting Out Fires

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Batman15, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Batman15

Batman15 Rookie

Sep 25, 2012

Well, to get right to the point I am teacher 6th grade and I am a first year teacher sharing a classroom. Dismissal has been a mess to say the least. Kids are running around screaming and to top it off two kids started fighting today. There were two teachers in the room doing the clapping, and saying "voices off" but the kids just were not listening. They were so hyped up about the fight it was chaos. I knew we needed help and the AP eventually heard the noise and calmed the kids down. It was just a mess!!!! I chose not to scream today because it didn't warrant much success the last time I tryed it. I think it has alot to do with the routine but still my biggest thing is calming them down if it does get that crazy. Does anyone have any suggestions for calming the storm?

3. Rox

Rox Cohort

Sep 25, 2012

Can you call students one group at a time? "Row one may line up now." Do you have a signal for students to be quiet? (raising your hand, clapping, or a special word like "Freeze!") How did the AP calm the kids down?

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 25, 2012

Two kids fighting? I'd yell in my deepest angriest voice: "KNOCK IT OFF RIGHT NOW!"

If it's done right the bellow would freeze them all in their tracks. If it doesn't work, calling the P or AP would be the preferential choice.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 25, 2012

The best way to avoid fights is by keeping the kids seated at all times and not allow them to be out of their seats more than one at a time, and not without permission.

For dismissal I would keep them in their seat up to the last minute and then dismiss a certain row, or 4-5 kids at a time. I could start with the quiet ones first, leaving the talkers last, to the point of dismissing them a few minutes late.
    Towards the end of the day the kids will be excited, so it's even more important to keep them in their seats quietly.
    Once there is a fight, there are very few things you can do, so it's best to make sure it won't come to that.

6. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Sep 25, 2012

I would make sure the kids know that YOU dismiss them, not the bell and that they will not be dismissed until they are seated and quiet. If that means they stay after school for 20 minutes, then so be it.

I had to do this ONE TIME at my old school. The kids stayed after 15 minutes. The next day, they were seated and quiet before the bell even rang.

I also like the suggestion that was given about dismissing them by rows. Maybe the quietest row can get dismissed first or something like that.

7. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Sep 25, 2012

Why?

8. Batman15

Batman15 Rookie

Sep 26, 2012

Why? They have no system to get their stuff and wait to be dismissed. They get their school bags and start shoving each other...It is not my responsibility to dismiss them, but I have a desk in the class so I feel obligated to help out when things get rough. The AP is coming in to show the homeroom teacher proper dismissal procedures, which I hope will cut down greatly on the discipline problems at the end of the day. As far as the fighting I like deep voice idea.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 26, 2012

To me, if you are a teacher, and you are in the room, then it IS part of your responsibility. Work with the other teachers to establish clear and consistent routines-then follow them.

10. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Sep 26, 2012

Ask the homeroom teacher if you can plan how to have a smooth dismissal together. She might appreciate it.

About the kids being all riled up because they saw a fight, that is not an excuse for them to act up in turn. They can control their actions but decided not to.

I agree with the other suggestions here to have them pack up one at a time, return to their seats immediately and STAY there, and to wait for AN ADULT to dismiss them (not the bell.) If they can't follow those rules, then have consequences for them - those don't end because the day is almost over. They're in 6th grade, so don't hesitate to apply the consequences the next day.

I would also incorporate some literature (adult read-aloud) or light music to keep them entertained. You could even read riddles to them or logic questions.

11. Batman15

Batman15 Rookie

Sep 26, 2012

I agree completely that it IS my resposibility and I have been helping out.....also that IS why I am coming on here for suggestions.....Planning is a great idea..besides the homeroom teacher and I have a great relationship...we are both just new to teaching and need to be strict when things start up like that...I didn't mean to put it on the homeroom teacher like that because I do feel responsible for what happened...

12. Batman15

Batman15 Rookie

Sep 26, 2012

All the advice and ideas are appeciated I feel ready to go tomorrow

Thank You

13. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Sep 26, 2012

Agree. As you have figured out fighting and other big problems are almost always a result of smaller problems left unattended. Dismissing one at a time could take a while especially if you wait until each student has gathered stuff and out the door. If you dismiss by rows or groups they will still push and shove unless how to line up has been taught to your standards. Do not assume because they are sixth graders line up does not need to be taught. For sure they already know how to line up. They have been doing it since kindergarten. The real question they want to know, "Do we have to line up in your class?", will either be a priority or pushed to the back burner. If not a priority for you and colleague it won't be a priority for students either.

I don't think yelling should ever be a discipline strategy. Many of these kids, especially discipline problems, come from homes where yelling is the norm. Do you as a professional want to model the exact behavior, yelling, which most teachers are trying to train their students to avoid as the go to technique when solving a problem?

14. Kate N

Kate N Rookie

Sep 26, 2012

Having a behavior plan is essential. Are you doing your part in having clear rules and solid preparation before the day begins? are your activities rich and challenging? About the students: Students know when things are out of control. You can have a class meeting and revisit the problems. Ask the students to agree on the behavior that is not negotiable. Ask them how students can show each other respect. Can we agree on staying in our seat until an activity has changed? Can we agree on raising hands before we speak? Can we agree that touching other students is unacceptable? Then make an issue of showing the typed out class rules that are posted right up front. I always add to mine - everyone will agree to do their best work each day. Believe me the problem will not just go away. Can you take time to revisit the Harry Wong classroom rules page online and get refocused? Give a behavior grade each week. Send the information home and get parent support.
    Don't beat yourself up - just get refocused and tackle it tomorrow! :)