Putting on coats

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by RedVac, Oct 27, 2010.

1. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

Oct 27, 2010

Do you all teach your preschoolers how to put on their jackets. As my group of 3's really struggled with this today I thought I should really take them in small groups and teach them. Often times parents will just do this for kids at this age, but it is a skill they need for preschool. I can find a ton of information on themes, ect. but teaching social skills and independence is something I struggle to find info for. Thanks!

Heather

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2010

I don't teach PS, but when I used to sub...the students were taught to lay the coat on the floor, then they stand by the top *where the hood is, squat to put their hands through the sleeves and flip it over their head....

of course its easier done than written here...do you know what I'm talking about? Or maybe someone else could explain it better...it works awesome though!

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 27, 2010

PC, that is what I was going to suggest.

6. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Oct 27, 2010

I teach 3's and that's how we do it. We call it the Magic Trick.

7. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Oct 27, 2010

That is how to do it. I also teach the kids who cant ever find their sleeves to "go fishing for their sleeves" by trying to find it and pull it out. I also mentioned this concept to parents via newsletters and at our conferences to let them know that children at this age should be doing these types of things on their own.

8. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 27, 2010

I use that method, and call it Flip Flop, Over the Top!

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 28, 2010

I'm always called it "Superman"

10. Ms.Titwillow

Ms.Titwillow Rookie

Oct 28, 2010

I didn't know anything about Montessori before I worked at my current school. There are a ton of independent skills taught via Montessori such as using a sponge to clean spilled liquids, brushing your hair, pouring liquids into containers, getting lids off and on, beading for dexterity, cutting plastic vegetables, and so on. For the kids who can't sleep after 30 min they work on a 'job' that they like until the sleeping kids wake up. It's great practice for them...and yes, one of the jobs is putting on a jacket!
    Just youtube Montessori and you will find more ideas than you know what to do with!

11. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 30, 2010

Yes, when I taught 3s I taught them to put on their own coats and to zip them up. IN the winter they put on their own snowpants and boots as well. They would get their hat and one mitten on but needed help with the last mitten!

12. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Oct 31, 2010

My center doesn't push the idea that the 3's are independent and put on their own coats. They wait until they are 4 yrs. old before they make them do that. I think that it would be a good idea to start this since I am teaching alone and getting on their coats and boots in the winter will be a chore up here in Vermont.

13. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2010

We call it "Up and over" to put your coat on.

Our kids are able to put on their own snowpants, snowboots, coats, hats and in most cases gloves as well. Practice, practice, practice!

Give yourself plenty of time before you need to be outside, and let them work on it until they get it and hen do it over and over again. Many of our children only took a few weeks to get it, although I do have a very young 3 yr old who is still working on it.

14. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 1, 2010

annetxa.....are these 4's that are being asked to learn to put on their coats putting them on behind their backs? If so than this up and over way will still allow them to learn the "big kid way" at 4. My small ones do the up and over way and then they learn to put their coat on the big kid way later. We are a very mixed group....so it pays to have steps. My twos can slip into their own shoes (obviously not tie), pull up and down their own pants/snowpants and put on their own hats.

15. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 1, 2010

haha I live in the south and I the kids would not even know what snow pants or boots (at least snow boots) were lol!!

16. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 1, 2010

:thumb:

17. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 1, 2010

I often have to remind parents that their kids CAN do these things themselves... and I know they are capable because they do them every day at school. It's better when I teach the KIDS to say "I can do it myself, mom..." I have lots of parents who "baby" the kids "because it's easier..." It sometimes takes a bit of coaxing before they understand that...

yes, it will take longer RIGHT NOW but once they can do it, that frees you up to help with younger siblings or to get yourself ready.

It's a process.

18. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Nov 4, 2010

Yes, you could say that they are putting the coats on behind their backs...We split off into 3's, 4's and 5's and I notice that the 4's and 5's are getting on their own coats while my group is still struggling..

19. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 5, 2010

This will help a lot....my two's can do it......go for it!

20. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 6, 2010

I teach first grade and some of my kids NEVER want to take their coats and sweaters off. Even when it's 75 degrees outside and they're about to go to recess. Even when they go to pe where the teacher has them running around being active :eek:

They'll come back to me all sweaty and asking "Can we stop at the water fountain Ms. Em? I'm so hot!" :banghead:

Then there're the ones that NEVER want to wear their coat even in the winter when it gets down into the low 20s and teens. :rolleyes:

21. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Nov 6, 2010

My only expectation for my kids is that they give some effort.

The lack of willingness to try is what bothers me most about my kids. If they give some effort, but still aren't able to do it, then I'll step in to give them a hand. I know that if they are willing to keep working at it, they will eventually get it. It doesn't matter to me if they accomplish it at 2 years or 5 years old, just as long as they are giving effort.

22. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

Nov 6, 2010

Thanks for all of the great replies! I agree, I always tell my preschoolers to TRY-i will help if they try. We went out yesterday and it took 20 minutes to get coats, mittens, hats on 16 3 year olds. It was worth it when we got out and I know it will get better with practice.