putting computers on a kidney table

Discussion in 'General Education' started by animalclass, Jul 11, 2009.

1. animalclass

animalclass Companion

Jul 11, 2009

ok so i had this really good idea, im thinking of pushing a kidney table againsed the wall and putting computers on it, the cords will go through where the instructor sits, the think is i have 5 computers. do u think i can fit 5 flat screens on a kidney table?
    has anyone put computers on a kidney. anyone have pics please.
    i will find out next week if it will work

3. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

Our kidney tables are specifically for guided reading (and nothing else, or we will get it) so I haven't tried this. You might be able to fit them on there and the idea with feeding the cords through the little sitting area is a good one. Just make sure the flatscreens are not to close to the edge probably so that they don't get knocked over.

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2009

I probably will work (I had 4 non flat screen comps on it several years ago). I often put CPU's behind flat screen (you can also sit screen on top but them kids will play with cpu more.

Drawback - this takes up alot of room. I did like that the cords feel behind into the little cutout. I got frustrated after a while with it.

I am so excited. My new school has THE lightest comps on Earth and they are on actual computer desks from the kids height.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2009

kidney tables ARE NOT guided reading tables. I hate using kidney tables for gr(horshoe). I feel like I'm a million miles away from the kids. I like the actual gr tables where you sit way into the cutout - hands on right there at each child.

I think kidney table are cheaper and older.:2cents:

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2009

Perhaps I feel this way because I teach 5th, but I love my kidney table (and it would be taken away from me if I used it for computers). There are only 2 in my building, and there was a drawing to see who would get them (yeah me!).

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2009

I know when I ordered mine last year there were two kinds. One is a kidney table----small curve for the teacher to sit and then there is another kind with the long cut out for the teacher to sit. Does anyone know the name of that kind? It's not called a kidney table but a lot of people call both that. (BTW--I didn't get the long, deep cut out one because I worried I wouldn't fit comfortably in it! LOL)

8. animalclass

animalclass Companion

Jul 11, 2009

heres the thing, im moving in with another teacher to team teach and she has the computer tables sticking out back to back, she has a kidney and if i bring my kidney for the computers they will stick out less and we will still have a gr kidney

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2009

The deep cutout is technically a horseshoe table
    The shallow cutout is a kidney table

typically the kidney tables are cheaper

I can't stand kidney tables for guided reading, but that me....and just about every other teacher I work with.
    When you are working with really small kids they seem too far away.

10. animalclass

animalclass Companion

Jul 11, 2009

when i work with 3rd graders i want them to be FARTHER away lol

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2009

Horseshoe! Yes! I also prefer the kidney because I don't want my 5ths that close either! LOL

12. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2009

;)yeah I guess your right. But I don't know. Have you ever seen what comes out of a 5 or 6 year old's nose? Anyways, I guess it's just a personal preference. I don't like that much room between me and the kids - at least during guided reading.

13. Susan82397

Susan82397 Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

We were told not put computers on them due to safety issue. Those tables were not meant to support that kind of weight (or that's what we were told anyway!).

I've always had a kidney table, but my new classroom has the horseshoe table. I think I'll like it much better.

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2009

I would think with the flatscreens it should be fine, but not sure. Never thought about the weight.

I do know at my old school they had us use the crazies things for computer tables. I see comps set up on table that bowed in the middle because of weight. But when I used a kidney table this never happened. However, I didn't leave them like that for long because it was too awkward for me.

15. animalclass

animalclass Companion

Jul 11, 2009

we have to fit 36 desk and this is how she currently has them
    [​IMG]
    and there not gonna fit flat because were moving a cabinet there like this
    [​IMG]
    btw we got new flatscreens, those are not the computers, plus it will be lower so you can see the board more and it wont stick out as much

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

I'm not sure how much 5 computers weight, but my kidney table held 135 lbs up.

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2009

I think the kidney table idea would work ok with 3rd graders, but not much higher than that if you are sitting 5 children.
    Animal class...that's tons of desks for that siaze room. It's too bad they couldn't give you a larger room to teach in. I haven't been back to the other thread, did you decide which teacher will be moving?

18. animalclass

animalclass Companion

Jul 11, 2009

were gonna decide for sure last minute but right now im moving there because the air is silent and better and the tv works, im gonna replant my plants, were going this week so if i remember my camera i will post pics

19. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 11, 2009

I hate kidney tables -- they waste too much space. However, while horseshoe looks nice, if you are a person "of size" you don't quite fit (or feel quite trapped) and in our case, working in an inner city environment, we have some students who don't bath very often, and I'd perfer them to be a bit further away. I know that sounds terrible, but sometimes the smell can really get you -- especially if they haven't brushed their teeth! (Yes, I give them a new toothbrush and make them go brush if it is too bad.) It isn't usually the kids themselves that smell in 2nd grade -- it is their unwashed clothes -- and they have no control over the fact that Mom or Dad or Grandma is sending them to school in an outfit that hasn't been washed in months.

I perfer to keep a bit more distance. A quick hug is no problem, but 20 minutes of them right up in my face is a bit much, sometimes. Does that make me a horrible person?

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

Rain~that doesn't make you a bad person. I feel for those students, but I would probably want distance as well

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

While 5 computers may fit on a kidney table, I'm not sure how much room there would be. I like the students to have room by the computer to put notes or instructions for an assignment or the rough draft of a story they are publishing.

22. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

I agree, Jeannie---if I am doing a group, I would much rather sit in a small circle with them. However, tell that to my district! They must have come across some research that states that kidney tables help students perform better on DIBLES (ha, ha, ha...)

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 11, 2009

We teach about hygiene a lot in my school. I can't tell you how excited some of these students get when they are provided with travel sized hygiene products to take home. Some of the first grade students walked around with their pack for the whole day and the grade 6 boys were all smiles the day they got theirs (I wasn't too happy b/c we had a month of boys wearing too much Axe:D).

We keep shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, soap, toothbrushes and toothpaste in a staff bathroom with a shower and we do have our students shower and clean up if necessary. We had a couple of girls where it was in their schedule that they showered once a week. We also have a small office full of donated clothing that is available for students along with a washer and dryer available for us to use if students want to go home in their school.

24. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

Proud, that is AWESOME that your school has taken such initiative to give kids some hands-on experience with hygiene. We also have the same issues but only a few teachers really try to help. We have a shower and a lot of kids could really use one but for some reason it's never been used. I wish we had access to a washer/dryer! Just goes to show that there are some things a standard will never cover that are important life skills to learn.

25. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

i like this computers-on-the-kidney-table idea and i think i'll try it myself... all of our internet connections are along the same wall and the cord mess drives me crazy. i've always preferred working on the carpet with my reading groups, it's much more relaxed and they think it's fun reading time vs. sitting at my desk. every classroom at my school has a kidney table as part of a guided reading initiative years ago and we're not allowed to get rid of them even if we want to.