Put your name on your paper PLEEEEEEEEASE! lol

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by pamms, Oct 19, 2009.

1. pamms

pamms Comrade

Oct 19, 2009

How can I get the kids to put their names on their papers? I've tried different things, and sometimes I can go around the room and check each paper to be sure they have names, but sometimes that is just not practical, and, quite frankly, I don't think I should have to do that at this stage of the game! ;-)
    If we work on something together and all get done at the same time, it's fairly simple. The problem comes when kids are working independently on papers, especially when they may have 2-3 papers to do and they just turn in their papers when they are done. Later, as I grade them, I often find a couple with no name (and maybe a couple missing altogether). It is so frustrating!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 19, 2009

I asked a kid to make a poster that I display on the front wall of my room. It's a white piece of paper, 11 x 17, with horizontal blue lines and one vertical pink like--just like a sheet of notebook paper. At the top right, the student wrote

NAME
    PERIOD
    DATE
    ASSIGNMENT

So the poster looks exactly like what their paper should look like. Since I've put it up, my no-names have diminished to almost nil.

4. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Oct 19, 2009

Beyond just a heading poster, you could make one about checking their work. Maybe titled, "Does your assignment have everything it needs?"

Name?
    Date?
    Teacher?
    Etc?

That way before they turn anything in you can just say: "Check your work!" They will learn to make sure they didn't forget anything. If they turn it in without a name, I wouldn't grade it. Make a no-name folder, or something.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 19, 2009

I had a huge problem with this with my 6th graders this year. I have them all highlight their name before they can turn it to the box. It takes a little extra time, but not too bad, and it has solved the problem.

6. kellyrosebud

kellyrosebud Rookie

Oct 20, 2009

I heard this great idea and it's worked wonders....

I told my students that we had a "new kid" named "Fred". Fred never writes his name on his paper. Every time I get a paper from "Fred" (aka any nameless paper) they lose a class point. The first day, I stuck every nameless paper on the board with a giant note. "WOW! Fred loves school sooo much, he did this assignment 7 times! Great Job Fred!"

Now, they usually check each others paper and say "Don't give Fred points!"

ohhh....and the best part...
    We're decorating our classroom for Halloween and some of my kids made tombstones saying "RIP Fred, for stealing our Class Points"

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2009

kelly, that is just too great! What are your class points used for?

8. pamms

pamms Comrade

Oct 20, 2009

Thank you

Yep, I have the lined paper poster with the sample heading and I have a reminder note in bold print right by the tray where kids turn in their papers that asks them if they put their name on their paper.

I like the highlighter idea and Fred. lol I'd like to know more about your class points!

9. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Oct 20, 2009

I take a class dollar for no name or # and that seems to help. I also started taking for leaving a question blank on a test. They simply don't pay attention!!

mjhoudek likes this.
  10. GTR3

GTR3 Rookie

Oct 21, 2009

Call me a BIG MEANY but if I tell them twice to put their name on a paper and they turn it in without it then I put a big zero on it and throw it in the trash right in front of the entire class. It will stop soon enough! I do explain that any paper without a name goes in the trash both to the class and at open house. I should not have to worry about a paper with no name.

11. kellyrosebud

kellyrosebud Rookie

Oct 21, 2009

We reach a class goal and have a themed party. ...game board party, pj, etc. Every time we reach a goal (100 in the beginning of the year, then 500, then, after they start learning multiplication, I make the goal more like 1,000 and use multiples!!)

12. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Oct 21, 2009

If it's something like a test or a big grade, I tell the students to draw a (shape, cursive letter, whatever) next to their name. This usually reminds them to put their name on it moreso than, "Remember to put your name on your paper."

Homework without names? I make any student who doesn't turn in homework lose 10 min of recess/assignment and they have to work on it again. If I don't see a name on a paper, I don't know who turned it in, for all I know a second grader came and did it. Therefore, I can't mark a grade down for you and you'll be staying in at recess.

I find that the teacher's who check back and "gently remind" the students to write their names are usually the ones who are still doing that in May.

13. tgim

tgim Habitué

Oct 24, 2009

Ok - call me superstitious, but I am worried that just responding to this thread will bring back the problems I had w/ this last year. Knock on wood (sorry, more superstitions), this year I haven't had nearly as much trouble w/ this issue. Here are some things that have helped:
    --"name, tear, tuck" = name on first, tear it out, tuck your book away;
    --"name check" = I tell them we need to do a name check, and I ask a student to give us a phrase or sound or exclamation all students get to yell out if they have their names on their individual papers;
    --"check your neighbor" = look at your neighbor's paper to make sure he/she has his/her name on it;
    --"name expert" = the last no-name-culprit has to stay in at recess to check through a stack of papers in which there is a no-name paper, use a checklist to check off students, and find the newest no-name-culprit (not what I call they publically - just in my head);
    --"paragraph writing" = when you have a 3rd no-name paper, you also have the joy of writing a paragraph explaining why it's important to put your name on you paper, complete w/ a main idea sentence and three (or the number of no-name papers) detail sentences to give reasons for including your name on papers. This paragraph goes home for a signature; if one reaches a 5th no-name status, it is also signed by the principal (only twice last year did this happen).

My kids are thrilled to have highlighters, so I may try the highlighter trick in addition to having them highlight the item number for all tests - just to show they checked it over. (I used to write "I checked it over." on the board and they had to put this on each test to show they did check - until I had students asking me to write it on the board as soon as a test was handed out so they could go ahead and write it - totally missing the point of CHECKING IT OVER!) :woot:

14. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2009

Kids love to lord it over each other, and the assistance is FREE.

1. Have one kid pick up the papers and check for names at the same time. The kid picking up the papers will quickly point out the missing name to the student (trust me).

2. Tell all the students to check their neighbor's paper for the name before the papers can be turned in.

Either method works great for me. And I don't have to do the work -- the kids do it for me!

15. Adamston3rd

Adamston3rd New Member

Oct 28, 2009

WHen I grade a stack of papers and find some without a name, I grade the paper but put it in the lost and found (a folder in the back of the classroom). When I hand out missing assignment printouts and a child knows they turned that work in but didn't get credit for it, chances are it is in the lost and found. They may get their paper from the lost and found, staple it to the missing assignemtn sheet, have a parent sign it and turn it in for a 10% penalty. That usually does the trick

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 29, 2009

Make name stickers for each child (on the computer) and let them place stickers on their papers instead of writing their names.

Have them write their names in a certain color ink or marker. Try and use that color for only that purpose, or else, choose holiday colors or monthly colors.

17. kim@kto5

kim@kto5 Rookie

Oct 30, 2009

I like the "Fred" idea. I also like the idea of giving them incentive to put their name on their paper, so if they put their name on their papers all week, all month, etc. without being told, then they get extra bonus points. You can turn this around too, and if they don't put their names on their papers, then they lose points. You can include this on a reminder note too at the front of the room, on whiteboard, etc. and remind them once at the beginning of the week but then tell them they must remember for the rest of the week (then let the point system kick in).

18. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Oct 31, 2009

I do this too. I have very little problems with kids putting their name on their work. But as kids get started with their assigment, I ALWAYS say: "STOP! If your name and date is not on your paper do that RIGHT NOW." Making the kids STOP and really think about their heading seems to be the best advise because for those who just get into the assignment, it makes them go back and get that done first and foremost.

19. HugsInOK

HugsInOK Rookie

Nov 1, 2009

I also have my kids highlight their name before they turn in their papers. It really works well.

20. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 10, 2009

I'm probably mean too, but I take off 5 points if they don't write their name. We also do daily language and math papers. I don't grade all of these, but once a week I grade one of each for 25 points each. If there is no name I just throw it away. The first few times I took all of their papers right after they passed them in, stood at the trash can, and threw away all the papers with no name. (There were probably close to 10.) It very rarely happens anymore.

21. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 19, 2009

I have them highlight their names as well, and it seems to work.

We had an incident recently where I asked them to hand in a routine assignment for me to check over and only about 5 studens wrote their names on it. In class the next day, we clapped for each child who wrote their name on and the rest of the class just got an assignment back - not necessarily their own. I just handed the papers back, and they had to continue on which ever page they received. That definitely left an impression on them, because they did not like finishing someone else's assignment!!

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 19, 2009

Good one Miss Scrimmage!

23. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 22, 2009

Thanks, cutNglue. It has really made a difference! When I hand out assignments now, someone always says, "Put your name on. We don't want to have that happen again!" I think they've finally "got it"!!

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2009

I've put highlighters on each table for kids to highlight their names on their paper...my second graders LOVE using the highlighter so it's somewhat effective in helping them remember to write their names on papers.

25. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Nov 25, 2009

no name...no recess

When I take papers out of the inbox before recess I often call the names from the work. Anyone whose name isn't called doesn't go out. They do the work over during recess and always have their name at the top.

26. beachteachde

beachteachde New Member

Mar 4, 2013

point system?

Kelly I love this idea but what do the kids do to earn points?

27. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Mar 23, 2013

I am student teaching right now. We give the students reminders on in-class assignments and such. Thankfully, we don't have a huge problem (most of the time) with those things (though there are usually one or two we can figure them out). With homework, since it is mostly just checked but not graded, we throw it out if there is no name.

28. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Mar 26, 2013

I struggle with this constantly with a few chronic no-namers. I put their names in the "name jail" and they have to then write their names 25 times.
    I have partners check their partner's names, have kids highlight, touch their names at the top, etc, and STILL have those that forget!

29. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2013

I give out zeros. Granted I have older kids. But I'll go "oh, looks like this person wants a zero on their paper. Cool"

I always give the kid a chance to put their name on their paper and get credit, but I give them a really hard time first. So I don't have too many issues.

30. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Apr 4, 2013

I use the highlighting method and it works wonders. If a paper comes my way without a name it's an automatic 5 point deduction.