Put on the "do not use" list.. Really upset..

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by ilvoelv, Dec 23, 2011.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 26, 2011

I want to add that as a military family, we have opportunities to hear our children or friend's children "hate" the place they are living all the time. I'm currently living out of country. All of us adults are mindful of the fact that we are guests in this country and we don't want to offend our hosts. Not everyone heeds it as nicely but the thought is explicitly told to us. That doesn't mean people don't privately grumble for whatever reason. Kids, on the other hand, they tell it like it is. Some love it here. Many, just want to be back in the USA where the rest of their families live or their old friends. Most make new friends and thrive but even if they do that, they still become homesick and want to be well... home. I hear it all the time. I'm sitting here wondering if they'll ever know just how lucky they were to be able to travel the world at times because that's how I feel, but that doesn't make their feelings any less valid or any less wrong or right. Their feelings are what they are. Telling them to believe otherwise doesn't help things at all. We can help them see the positives where they are, but they aren't listening to us if we aren't listening first to them.

2. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 27, 2011

That's an excellent point.

We had a brother and sister from England at our school after I finished my Student Teaching and the brother was very much like the student in the OP; very angry about being away from his whole situation. His parents were divorced and dad had moved them from England to Florida first, then to our district. All this kid wanted was to be BACK with his childhood friends in England. He DID make friends here as well, but he also was very rebellious towards the teachers and admin. It was the only way he could "lash out" at a situation over which he really had no control. He would also make remarks about hating America and Americans in an attempt to get a rise out of the teachers or his classmates.

The brother was really a good kid, when you got to know him, but boy, it was very hard to reach that point because he went out of his way to defy any authority figure in the school. Dad eventually took them back to England shortly after the beginning of school last year. Hopefully, that helped get the brother (especially) a little calmer and more cooperative in school.

3. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Dec 27, 2011

You will find other schools to work at - and hopefully something Full Time. :) One district I subbed at two years ago challenged my unemployment pay - and lost. It's obvious they've blacklisted me. I get no calls, and important paperwork regarding criminal status was not sent out.

4. subczy

subczy Rookie

Jan 23, 2012

Update us please! How did it go and what is the status?

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 23, 2012

I just found this thread today, and I'm also wondering if you're ok.

6. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Feb 6, 2012

Bump! I'd like to know as well.