Put kids in after-care so that I can sub?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by thesub, Mar 11, 2009.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Mar 11, 2009

A few weeks ago, I had posed this question and I got feedback that it was upto me to make this decision.

So I am deciding to put my two kids in after-care - it will be $325 per month. No neighbors will watch the kids for 1/2 hr while I finish subbing and get home.

We can afford this money although we have to watch our finances, what with the bad economy etc. My husband has a good job and we are ok money-wise.

If I don't sub, I am totally off the radar and stop networking. I am hoping to land an aide's job, save some money, get experience and go thru teacher certification.

What do you all think? Am I making a stupid financial decision?
    On a good week, I could sub 3x/week. Our district has too many subs and I have to watch Aesop like a hawk and get on more preferred lists.

THanks so much for any opinions. Although I have made my decision, I just need people to tell me that this is ok. I go crazy at home thinking about all the sub jobs and face-time I am missing.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2009

I think it is best to sub to network and get your foot in the door.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2009

Do you have to pay whether they're there or not?!? I know my neighbor was a teacher when I was younger. We would watch her kids for a little bit in the morning to catch the bus...only about 15 mins or so & then in the afternoons for about 30 mins to an hour after school. Are there any reliable teens in your area that might be able to do this or young moms, or grandparent types?!?

5. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 11, 2009

$325 a month for half an hour of care, three times a week seems really steep. That's about $55 an hour!!

Is there a reliable high school student in the neighborhood you could pay $15-20 bucks a day to meet your kids when they get off the bus and watch them until you get home?

6. thesub

thesub Comrade

Mar 11, 2009

I tried a couple of high-schoolers but they backed out at the last minute - they are too busy.

I will keep looking for cheaper options, I guess.

Thanks for your reply.

7. thesub

thesub Comrade

Mar 11, 2009

I know but honestly I don't know what else to do. I did try a few high-schoolers but they could not come regularly. I think I will try the after-care option for one month and see if I at least break even with my sub salary.

Thanks.

8. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2009

It sounds like a good plan if you just need to break even. I think professional after care is better than a high school student. I don't have children, but I now-a-days wouldn't trust leaving my kids with anyone except family or professionals or a friend I knew very well.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 11, 2009

Mine is only 200 a month for before and after school care.

If you can cut the cost, that would be wise but overall I'd do it. Some months you may break even and some months you may not. When you aren't subbing, you could still use YOU time sometimes. That's an added bonus.

My first year as an aide, I literally broke even. I did it for the experience. I never regretted it. Make sure your hubby is really behind you on this one though because it isn't the soundest financial decision and you don't want it to become a bicker point.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2009

It sounds like a good idea. If you don't network and a position opens up, you won't be known; therefore, the opening will likely go to someone who is already known in the district.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2009

What about a kids' friends mom or something that is there with their kids after school? I watched some friends of ours child for 1-2 hours after school for a few months 3-4 days a week. It was nice to get the little extra money. You would have to pick up your kids from after care... I would check. You never know if there are moms at home they may be willing to watch and for a lot less, especially if you provide snacks or whatever.

12. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Mar 13, 2009

I paid for extended day last year....about $300 for 2 kids, but this year is doubled so I couldn't see payingthat much just to sub as so far is hasn't got me anywear. I only sub at my kids school now and I bring them with and nobody has said anything YET. Teachers aren't allowed to bring their so it is obvious and I'm sure some teacher say things but I'm only getting paid a fraction of what a teacher would make.

I would pay it and see how it works, you can always drop out if it doesn't work out.

13. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Mar 13, 2009

You bring your kids with you when you sub and they are with you the entire time you are there? How old are they?

14. artjen

artjen Rookie

Mar 14, 2009

I personally wouldn't pay that much money for just a tiny bit of after-school care. I would do everything I could to try to find someone nearby that could help. Maybe you could post an ad or something for a teen to help out? But ultimately it is your decision and if the after-school care is the only option then that is what you have to do.

15. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Jun 4, 2009

They are in 1st/4th grade so they hang out for 15 mins or so before 1st bell and then they get dismissed last so they come back for the after school for a few minutes