Put in another room with craziness "help!"

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by OUteach2, Aug 14, 2019.

1. OUteach2

OUteach2 New Member

Aug 14, 2019

Well I started out in the 12 month class room as the lead teacher. I was hired as that rooms teacher and was in that room all the way till they turned 18 months than they put me in the 18 to 24 month class as I was told for the summer because I would not have any new kids till the new school year. I went with it knowing I would be going back to MY ROOM come august. Well the lead teacher in that room NEVER stayed in her room. At first she would be there for circle time and than leave for the rest of the day to help with after schoolers. Than summer camp started and I hardly saw her at all. Ok at this point I was getting mad, she would tell me what to do and leave, like it was MY responsibility! I started say this is not even my class but she was putting me on demand to do what she wanted. Now I'm STILL in there and 2 weeks ago they told me I would be going back to my room when school started and school started back this Monday and it seams they have put someone from the baby room in my room and she took my place. Now I'm stuck in a room I don't want to be in. I wasn't hired for that Room/Age group I would have never took the job if it was for that age group. I had 2 year old's for seven years I didn't want 18 to 24 month old's. And they are out of control!!!!! climbing on tables, climbing up book selves, throwing toys, messing with the doors (and hanging on the door bar, parents come in and out this door to access the other rooms..UGH) crawling under the table, running back and forth screaming, pulling down the play kitchen. you name they are doing it!!!! I'm at my wits end!!!! I asked for help in the afternoon and I got "NO!! your in ratio you can handle it". Yeah don't get me started on Ratio. So now I'm stuck in a room I cant stand being in and they replaced me in my room.
    What do I do?????
    BTW,I have only received good reviews from my director so its not a demotion, I don't think. And no one has come to me to explain what's going on.

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Aug 14, 2019

It sounds like there’s a lack of communication overall in your center. Can you not just go to the director and express your concerns and desire to stay in your previous classroom and age group? If that’s not a possibility, then you may either have to look for other positions or decide to try to help the children in your current classroom be successful. Remember that climbing and exploring at that age is appropriate. Most toddler rooms have some kind of climbing area, just for that reason. There’s a Facebook group called “teaching toddlers and preschoolers” that may be super helpful!

Obadiah likes this.
  4. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Aug 15, 2019

It sounds as if the children are over stimulated. First step, if possible, and if not, it should be, get rid of the bookshelves. Secondly, it's going to be difficult to change learned behavior, but it must be changed. This type of environment is to the developing brain as excessive static is to trying to listen to the radio. It's hard to advise without actually being there first hand, but if I might venture a guess....is there a TV playing in the background? If so, I suggest that it goes, too. That's just useless stimulation for kids younger than 2. Another possible distraction is background music. Modern rock music might not be advisable, at least until behavior is more conductive to learning. If background music is used, I'd recommend simple and quiet Baroque. Another part of the problem is that students at this age are still playing coincidentally rather than cooperatively; hence, the chaos that can develop. Rather than groups of children playing, you have several individual children playing. I agree with Preschool0929, it would help to have the room organized with specific types of equipment to explore in specific places. If throwing objects is a problem, Nerf balls might be a solution. Toy kitchens are nice, but small plastic objects are a bit dangerous for this age without enough supervision, but yes, toys that mimic adult activities are possibly productive. The key is for the toys to restrict dangerous or destructive use. I would avoid prizes for good behavior like the plague. The students are to play/learn constructively in order to play/learn, not to get a piece of candy. Candy and table sugar--it might be advisable to limit this, also. It doesn't cause "hyperness", but it does act as a drug. Same thing with chocolate--the caffeine takes longer to exit a child's body than an adult's. I'm writing for all readers, since many other teachers might have the same situation, not just the OP, so please don't take anything I say personally. But in writing to a general audience, I would highly advise rarely raising my voice, if at all. Think Mr. Rogers. Escalating the environment by raising my voice will do just that--escalate the environment, the very thing the teacher is trying to de-escalate. Quietly reconstructing the activity is more productive than yelling. Just some thoughts that I hope might help. It's unfortunate that you are stuck in this room, but if you have to teach there, hopefully things become more peaceful.

bella84 likes this.
  5. pabef

pabef Comrade

Aug 20, 2019

I would definitely have a sit down with the director to express concerns and ask why you weren’t returned to your classroom.