Pushy Aide

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by sciencegurl, Sep 21, 2009.

1. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Sep 21, 2009

I have an EBD aide in one of my science classes. This is one of my best classes. They are hard workers and usually on task. That said, today they were doing a lab and some finished early. They could work on a study guide if they finished early (not due till Wed). While I was helping others at my desk, she was walking around and basically yelling at the kids who chose to be done with 10 minutes left rather than work on their study guides. I don't have an issue with her requesting that the kids work on their study guides, but I did have an issue with the tone she used. She also threatened 2 other of my students with disciplinary referrals because they were goofing off (I actually was trying to deal with this one already, but she kind of over stepped me). I have issue with anyone disciplining my kids other than me (kind of feels like when my sister attempts to put my kids in a time-out when I right there). Anyway, what are your thoughts? I definitely want my kids to respect the aide, but feel like she is overstepping a bit. FTR this is my first year in this school, but I've been teaching for 10.

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 21, 2009

Kindly remind her that it is your class and that she should go to you with any problems. I have a big problem with aids over stepping their boundaries.

4. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Sep 22, 2009

She may have thought she was helping you by dealing with discipline issues and keeping students on-task while you were busy at your desk. It seems your approach and hers don't match, so have a nice chat with her about how you would like things to be handled; open by thanking her for helping out while you were busy, and go on from there to explain what you would like done. She will hopefully be open to your style of discipline.

Please allow her to discipline students or, no, they will NEVER respect her. As a special ed aide in several busy classrooms, I do need the option to discipline students because they will not listen to me if I run to the teacher with every issue. I follow each teacher's classroom policy and try to be fair and calm. One of my teachers told me today that we are in this together and she can't see everything and neither can I, so together we make a good team. That made me feel great and self-confident, and like she trusts me to use good judgment with our students. The children respect me because they know I can follow through on what I ask them to do.

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2009

It might come across "nicer" if you give her steps to follow for discipline. The steps can ultimately lead to you doing the actual discipline. Then tell the students how it's going to go. Ms. B has a clipboard. If she writes your name down I will be assigning detention, etc. And, I'd be blunt - explain to the aide that most of your students have problems focusing so it's really important for her to keep her voice very low so it's not a distraction.

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2009

I have to respectfully make a comment here. This is a slippery slope you're describing. If the aide is not "open" to the teacher's style of discipline they will be modeling that attitude for the students. Ultimately, the teacher is the leader of the classroom team. And as a leader, it is incumbent upon the teacher to create a classroom management plan that includes the aide as a team member.

In my opinion, creating a set disciplinary plan that includes specific procedures for the aide to follow, will result in the students having respect for the aide's authority within the context of that plan.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2009

I agree. You might also want to sit down with her and together the two of you can lay out the roles and responsibilities that she, as an aide, have. Make sure that both of you agree to it and can stick with it.

8. glaciergirl

glaciergirl Rookie

Sep 22, 2009

I agree. The two of you should sit down and discuss how all discipline is going to be handled, how you run the class, etc.