Push Gift Ideas

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Securis, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 18, 2014

So some time at the middle to end of June I get the awesome responsibility of becoming a dad. I'm pretty excited to say the least. I was straightforward informed of a tradition that I had not previously heard of. A push gift. In for a penny in for a several pound bouncing baby is what I say. Any suggestions?

3. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Jan 18, 2014

I hate the words "push gift." :eek: If you want to buy something as a gesture of love for your wife or as a beautiful reminder of a special experience that is one thing, but I think it is silly to give a woman a gift for delivering a baby. The baby, to me, is the gift.

4. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Jan 18, 2014

I think if you push something that size out of your vagina that you deserve gifts!

OP, does she like jewelry? I would suggest a necklace or earrings. My brother-in-law gifted his wife with a bracelet but then again she is a big jewelry fan.

Or what about a nice couple's massage for later on?

Congratulations!

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 18, 2014

My dad drove all over to find yellow roses for my mom when I was born. There's no way he would have referred to the roses as a push gift.

If the wife wants something, get it for her. But please don't call it that! Eww.

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2014

I gave birth before I had ever heard the term "push gift"- I'm not a fan either- however, my DH got me a ring with the birthstone of my baby several months later. I just wouldn't have wanted to think I was somehow "paid" for giving birth. It was just a thoughtful gift.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2014

I have never heard of that term, but I wear a band with my daughter's birthstone and diamonds in place of a wedding band. My husband bought it shortly after she was born, and I call it my "Mommy ring." (I was going to give it to her when she turned 21, but I got quite attached to it. Fortunately, she let me off the hook!)

8. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Jan 18, 2014

I absolutely hate the idea of this and the terminology. Some women (not all) have taken it to the extreme. Healthy baby and healthy momma is the object to delivery. This is not a throw off on your wife OP, just society in general!

Off the soap box, if she has a Pandora bracelet, how about a charm to commemorate the birth of the baby?

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2014

I just heard of this last week on a pregnancy forum! The baby is enough of a "push gift" for me. I would never expect a gift.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2014

I think the term is kind of crass and vulgar. Gross. "Here, sweetie. You just pooped out my baby. Here's a necklace."

If she wants a present, I guess get her something. Does she want a present? What sorts of things does she like?

11. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 18, 2014

I have to say that your prudish opinions about the term have made me a bit irate. Thank you for stamping on the spirit of the thread until it has become an ugly thing. If you have nothing specifically and only positive to add about something that will be a miraculous and wonderful event in our lives, I can't use it. Take your ewes and baaah right on down the road.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2014

Wow. I don't think I've ever been called a prude before in my life. I've been called plenty of things, don't get me wrong, but not a prude. Thanks for that. It's a first!

13. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 18, 2014

A piece of jewelry with the baby's birthstone would be nice. Or even a gift basket of things for relaxing like comfortable PJ's, a robe, lotion, tea, etc. A Pandora bracelet like someone mentioned would be nice. You could get a charm or two and keep adding to it for your anniversary and other important milestones.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 19, 2014

The wanting to give something is fine, but I'm in sympathy with those who find the term "push gift" regrettable.

The OP has requested that the thread be closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.