Purse Thefts

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Falcon Flyer, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Mar 5, 2012

Over the past two years, my school district in Texas has had a rash of purse thefts. I'm writing this because I just had my purse stolen TODAY. Is this a problem in other schools? I usually lock my stuff up, but didn't today. All it took was about twenty minutes at recess and it was gone.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 5, 2012

Thank God, we don't have that problem at my school. *knock on wood*

I do know schools that have had that problem though. My cooperating teacher always locked everything up before we went to lunch.

4. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Mar 5, 2012

That's awful Falcon. I hope you weren't carrying around too much cash...

Hopefully it will be recovered with at least your IDs and whatnot. Sometimes that happens, since the thieves are usually only after cash and credit cards.

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Mar 5, 2012

We had a thief in our school. Stuff would turn up missing all the time. Teaching supplies, CD players, yearbooks (I had a students' yearbook stolen from my room overnight), kids' belongings, Pampered Chef orders, etc.

The one that baffled me the most was a "me bag" that a kid brought in from home. It was sort of a show and tell. It was full of his favorite stuff. I had it behind my desk. We went out to recess and when I came back it was gone. It was not stolen by one of the kids in my class and who else would have even known it was there? It's not like kids were roaming the halls by themselves and going into empty rooms.

A teacher I worked with for one of my practicum experiences had her purse stolen. I ended up student teaching with her and I later realized she thought I was the one who did it. :huh:

6. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Mar 5, 2012

After they installed cameras in the hallways, the stealing stopped.

7. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2012

I'm sorry that happened to you. Do you think it was one of your students or a faculty member?
    I keep my purse in the department center. I'm probably one of the few teachers who does lock it up. I'm not suspicious of other teachers, but the department center isn't locked because students come in to talk to their teacher all the time.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 5, 2012

We don't have that problem luckily. I'm probably to lax about that myself. I can't lock mine up anywhere, but just kind hide it the best I can.

I remember the news last year or the year before these people just went class to class at one school when there was a program or something and ended up using the teacher's credit cards to spend over $20,000 at Wal-Mart. Stealing from teachers, c'mon...don't they know we're already poor! ;) I make it a habit to check for my credit cards throughout the week, because I probably wouldn't even notice that was gone for days-I don't use it much during the week-maybe to get gas or something.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2012

Theft is a big problem at my school. My classroom door is locked 24/7, even during classes. No one is able to enter my classroom unless I (or another student) let them in. Unless they have a key.

I keep my purse in a filing cabinet behind my desk. I don't always lock the filing cabinet, but I figure that the locked classroom door is enough protection.

Of course, one time I caught the custodian stealing stuff. I caught him red-handed. He offered to pay for the stuff he had taken. I was disgusted and reported him. Nothing happened. Now I leave absolutely nothing at school overnight that I couldn't live without.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 5, 2012

At 1 school I worked at it was a problem. I just kept my purse locked up. At my current school, just every once in a while it happens. Although, someone broke into one of our cars, during the middle of the day!

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 5, 2012

I keep my purse locked in my desk drawer or file cabinet. I also lock my classroom door if I'm not in the room.

We don't have much of a problem with theft.

12. Good Doobie

Good Doobie Rookie

Mar 5, 2012

As a Chemistry teacher I am used to locking up everything. I have come up with efficient ways to lock up and systems to check.
    I have heard about kids who think they own what you or the school has. They actually believe it is actually theirs and believe it always has been theirs.
    This makes me think of the differences in students.
    I have had lots of students during my over 30 years of teaching. I have had students from New York to LA to Florida.
    If I try to give something to some students, some won't take it, or if they do they feel they should pay. If I try to give to others, they will just take it without saying Thank you, no happy smile, nothing.
    I think the later are usually from the poor families. Some of their parents come defending their child trying to make the point that we should all learn what it is like to be poor.
    But I have never been able to identify with them. I was brought up on a farm - worked my way through HS and college in the northeast. I always feel obligated to pay for what I get, and I do not like it when others try to make me feel guilty for getting a teacher's salary.

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 5, 2012

Oh, that's awful! I'm so sorry! I hope you figure out who did it.

We, fortunately, do not have a problem with students' stealing our belongings. I keep my purse hidden, although, most of the kids have figured out where it is. Luckily, they are too short to reach it and someone would tattle for sure!

14. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Mar 5, 2012

I stopped putting anything important in my purse years ago. I keep all of my stuff in my pockets(pants, jacket, sweater) during the school day. The purse is a decoy, with nothing really important in it. I may look lumpy, but I don't have to worry about things getting stolen.

15. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Mar 5, 2012

I don't even carry a purse. I have a messenger bag (that I use to carry papers and teaching material) with my wallet in it and my wallet doesn't have cash or a checkbook. My messenger bag goes where I go because I can't lock anything including because of floating teachers during my breaks.

16. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Mar 5, 2012

We had three people come in as a group one time and ask for information about the school. One asked for a tour. As the secretary was showing them around, the other two stole her wallet from her purse (which was under her desk) and an entire purse from one of the classrooms on the first floor that was empty at the time.

My purse is in the locked drawer of my desk and the key is in my pocket during the day.

17. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Mar 5, 2012

Wow! We don't have any problems like this.... But these stories are making me think twice about where I store my purse.... I can't believe the story about the visitors! :O

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2012

How disappointing. I'd feel violated. Sorry this happened to you.:(

19. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 6, 2012

That is terrible! I'm sorry to hear it and I hope you are able to recover your things. :( I've never had anything like this happen. I work in a "good" area and keep my things out in the open, but all of my previous volunteer work was elsewhere. I did keep my stuff locked in a closet because I was told that things might be stolen otherwise, but I never actually heard of it happening. I carry a tote bag with everything I need in it, including my wallet.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2012

I'm so sorry that happened to you!

My purse is out, on the desk during class. I'm not particularly careful about it, but have never had an issue.

Now a kid's I-phone lying on the floor would probably be an entirely different issue.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2012

I don't take a purse to school, just throw my wallet and phone into my tote. I almost always put the tote into one of the drawers of my file cabinet, but it's never locked, even when I'm out of the room.

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 6, 2012

I don't even bring my purse into the school. I keep it locked in the trunk of my car. I have a make up bag and spare change in my school bag. That's all I really need during the day.

23. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Mar 6, 2012

Update...my purse was recovered. Yeah! My husband used the gps tracking in my phone to locate it. Turns out it was stolen by a known purse thief who had been going from school to school stealing purses. The craziest part about the story is that she was arrested at her own mother's funeral. I got my purse back that afternoon. I'm still missing a camera (with about 300 pictures on it) and a few dollars cash, but everything else was there. Mostly, I'm just happy justice will be served. I tell you one thing, though, I'm never leaving my purse unlocked again!

24. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 6, 2012

We don't have a stealing issue at school. I was amazed when I started working here and the kids would leave their gym bag, purses, cell phones, etc in the restroom floors for 2 hours after school during practice. I am not saying nothing ever gets stolen, but it is a rarity. I keep my purse in my office and always shut and lock the door when I leave the room. My classroom is also right outside the school office so the secretary can see anyone enter or leave my room.
    At my first school, we started missing things. I stopped by the school on a Sunday morning to pick something up I needed and caught the janitor digging through my desk and trying to get into my lock box. Stood at the door and watched him do it. I was at school bright and early Monday morning to report it to the principal. When I left there the next year, that janitor was still there.

25. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 6, 2012

So glad it was recovered!

26. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 6, 2012

I'm glad you got your things back and that it wasn't a student!