Puppy selection drama

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Sarah5483, Jun 1, 2009.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 3, 2009

Cassie - I respect your decision as well. But I never said that breeder dogs were better than shelter dogs and that's why I don't want one from there. There are just certain reasons of why I chose a breeder dog, over a shelter dog, and that wasn't one of them. I never meant to suggest anything about breeder dog owners being more caring than shelter dog owners, because that's purely absurd. There are loving shelter dog owners and loving breeder dog owners as well as (unfortunately) neglectful shelter dog owners and neglectful breeder dog owners, and all of that in between. Owners are all types of people.

SilverSpoon I know what you're saying about the genes, and loving animals as much as I do, I do know this about dogs. Rottweilers are known for hip dysplasia, as well as other big dogs...Pugs are known for problems with their eyes...etc etc etc. My point is, I know exactly what the dog is and what I will possibly encounter even if it is a genetic disorder, which I never ruled out that a purebred wouldn't have. I guess instead of saying "less chance of running into that situation", I should have just put I would have knowledge before hand on what type of meidcal situation may arise. But who ever knows with any animal what could happen, so I guess it's all a risk.

2. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 3, 2009

Thank you. I should have just quoted you, but I didn't continue reading further and had some things to say. I couldn't have said it better than this, and now I probably got myself in deeper with what I've said before this...somehow.

I'm not saying anyone said this of me or people who choose breeders, but I feel as if I'm being put on a different page of perhaps not caring as much for dogs cuz I want to somehow 'choose' or 'create' my own 'perfect' breed. Or that I am materialistic for wanting a certain look in a dog, and I am SO opposite from materialistic. But it's just certain dogs looks I fall in love with, as well as the personality that is associated with their breed, plain and simple!

Since the option of dog rescues has come up, how do the rescue places accept dogs? Because I know I have gone to some rescues and question if that dog is really, for example, a chihuahua...because it will look pretty different. Just wondering!

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2009

Shelter dogs are already born and in need of a home. Yet, instead of adopting one of those, people purchase dogs from breeders to satisfy a particular need or desire which perpetuates the cycle of dog breeding when at this time it's somewhat unnecessary. If people would stop purchasing from breeders and instead adopt shelter dogs, the population of shelter dogs would decrease.

Children in the foster care system or comparable homes are already born and in need of a home. Yet, instead of adopting one of those, people give birth to their own biological children to satisfy a particular need or desire. If people would adopt those children already alive and in need of a permanent home opposed to give birth to a baby, the population of those without a permanent home and family would decrease.

My point is that it’s not fair to criticize those purchasing from breeders unless you are also willing to criticize those who give birth to babies when there are already so many in need and already so many aborted each year. You all really don’t think it’s similar? That’s fine of course, it’s just weird (to me) because it’s so clear in my head. The two situations certainly are not identical, but I see the connection.

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2009

I don't think that anyone (at least I am not) saying there is anything wrong with purebred dogs and that if that is what you want then get it. If the purebred dog is born, then it too deserves someone to love it. To me a dog is a dog and they all deserve someone to love them. What upsets me more than breeders breeding and selling a dog to someone who will love it is the person who does not spay or neuter a dog when they are not going to be responsible for its reproduction. I have had many mutts that I have loved but we also had a white lab that was absolutely the best dog that we ever had. He followed my husband everywhere. Her would jump in the pool for a swim or run thru the sprinkler like a kid when we would water our vegetable garden. He was only 4 years ofd when he died and we all miss him to this day. He was also unwanted as a puppy. He had been given to an older couple as a Christmas present and he was registered. Maybe I am cheap but I am not going to pay thousands of dollars for a dog when there are so many out there that we can give a good home to and my children can enjoy. As soon as we fix the fence in our yard this summer, I plan on adopting 2 or 3 adult dogs from our local shelter.

5. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jun 3, 2009

Well said.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2009

I understand what you are saying, but I think what makes the two situations different, and incomparable, is that in one case you are talking about a HUMAN bearing a CHILD by their own choice (usually) and in the other you are talking about a DOG being impregnated by a breeder because s/he knows s/he can make money off of the puppies. In one case YOU are bearing the child/pet, in the other someone/thing else is. That's why I think its apples and oranges.

And for the record, I don't judge people who have their own children, but I would prefer to adopt and wish other people would consider that over having their own child.

(Not trying to be snarky or argumentative either, and I don't think you are either, Just me!)

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2009

NOT true. We went twice and they had no puppies.

And, just for the record, my son is adopted. Not because I wanted to be Mother Theresa, but because that's how we chose to become parents.