Punished for doing job?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mrachelle87, Apr 4, 2011.

1. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 4, 2011

I work hard. I have my lesson plans that are due on Monday turned in on Thursday/Friday the week before. I plan lessons that make my students excited. Parents send me notes telling me how much their child loves school and me---usually after a year of hating school. I am at school 15-30 minutes earlier than required each day. I volunteer for duties to help others. I have wonderful test results. I design my own curriculum because the school doesn't want to purchase me any. I spend my vacation attending workshops without asking the school to pay for them. Last year I attended a workshop on my birthday (a Saturday).

But for all of this, I feel that I am punished. Teachers that don't do their jobs are given new rooms with upgraded facilities. They are allowed to be out of their room in other teachers rooms visiting when students are suppose to be in their care. They are late each day. They never volunteer to help others, but we are expected to bend over backwards for them.

I will be looking for a job in private business this summer. I have decided that I am tired of feeling unappreciated. I want a job that I can leave at quitting time and not pick up until I get to work each day. I want a job where I don't have to fight administration for what is best for kids or to have them tested or serviced. I want a job that I don't have to watch what I drink or where I go in case one of the parents are there to report me for acting human. I want a job that pays better for the degree I have. And more than anything, I want to work in a job where people who don't do their job are fired. :(

Am I the only one that feels this way?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2011

No, mrachelle, I'm wanting to get out as well. I'm sorry that you're feeling this way because it sounds like you are a great teacher.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2011

You definitely are not the only one.

Taking my GRE in August - application to grad school goes in before December.

5. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 4, 2011

Are you looking for a non-education job, or a job in education that is not part of the public school system?

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 4, 2011

The education profession is losing a lot of good people for exactly those reasons!

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 4, 2011

It is sad, but I think I need to leave education. I can't handle the politics anymore and watching kids suffer. I am going to look in the insurance field and possibly taking classes to get my paralegal degree. The sad part is that I am National Board certified (twice), I am trained in Math Their Way, Math Their Way of Thinking, Saxon Math & phonics, Payne Institute (all their courses but one), FOSS, Love and Logic, AIMS, All Kinds of Minds, and other additional areas that I found fascinating over the years and I thought would help my students.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2011

Funny you posted about a paralegal degree because that is what I'm thinking of going to do. I have 3 years experience doing that kind of work while I was going to school to be a teacher.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2011

I understand. I want out as well, but I don't think it will be easy for me to find a position that comes close to paying what I earn now. Small town, no opportunities. Unless I want to work in a factory. And I don't.

I don't think you're necessarily being punished, but you are not feeling rewarded and you are not witnessessing others be held accountable, and these two things can feel just as bad as being directly punished.

10. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Apr 4, 2011

Would it be possible to create a committee at your school that is focused on staff morale?

I know that if our teachers were feeling this way...I'd want to know and I'd want to put steps in place to focus more on recognizing the efforts of staff members.

Solutions always exist as long as the problem is recognized.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 4, 2011

These are some of the reasons I won't be leaving my banking job any time soon...

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 4, 2011

No...our principal is not open to this. She likes to control. Plus according to her we aren't allowed to have low morale. She lets us know real fast that there are a lot of people wanting a job "if we want to whine."

13. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Apr 4, 2011

Ahh, that is just too sad. :( I need our teachers to work hard and in order to do that, I need to meet their needs in a multitude of ways. It is a demanding, high burn-out job....that has to be recognized. Teachers are only human as well.

So sorry that your admin has a take it or leave it approach....how is that working for her? Probably not very good.

14. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 4, 2011

I haven't even graduated yet and I'm looking into a plan b and c. :dizzy:

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 4, 2011

Oh, how sad to read all of these posts of teachers wanting out of the classroom.

I don't have that feeling at all. I am very happy and love my job.

But, if you are really feeling like you are done, you should do what is right for you. Good luck to you in your future pursuits.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2011

It is very sad. And, it seems like more and more of these types of posts are popping up here on A to Z. I do enjoy teaching, but it is exhausting, and I hate all the work that goes into it outside of the classroom (even though I try to keep it minimal to keep me from burn out). I am sorry for those who are unhappy teaching, but hopefully you all will find something that is fulfilling.

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 5, 2011

I love teaching, but I am to the frustration level at my school. I am looking for alternatives that will keep me in the area until my children are out of school.

18. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2011

I feel sorry for children when I see teachers treated badly
    enough to leave the profession. But there has been a real
    effort to discredit public ed. for awhile now and the results
    are coming to bear. All I would say is that their are great places
    to teach and help kids and not all schools are lead by idiots or worse. I hope you can find a school with good leadership and
    real professionals that will do their job and recognize those that
    do. My real rewards are how the children react and what the parents say to me. Just knowing my kids are getting what they need keeps me happy, damnnnnnn the bean counters and their minions......:whistle:

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2011

That makes me think of our last school. Morale wasn't low because they said so. Which of course just makes it lower because you are refusing to recognize how people feel.

20. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Apr 5, 2011

mrachell it would be sad to lose you as a teacher and it would be sad for you to have to stop doing the part you love. Is there any chance you could just find a job in another school district or a private school? A different administration might make all the difference.

I have not worked at many schools, but I have worked at many jobs. early in my former career I learned I did not do well in large companies, I just didn't fit the mold ( I was a single working Mother LOONNG before that was normal). So I started working for small, more personal Co. in these I could have the flexibility to be there for my daughter and I could better showcase my strengths and willingness to go the extra mile.

I never have been good at playing politics or kissing the a$$ of people I don't respect. This is my major concern with teaching. So far I have only worked at small schools that only had a few teachers so it was easy to avoid the 1 or 2 unpleasant people.

You sound like an extraordinary teacher IMHO who loves the teaching part of her job. I hope you can find an alternative that lets you continue that part.

21. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 5, 2011

It really saddens me too. You guys are such good teachers-you can tell from your posts. :( But I understand the decision in these times.

mrachelle-I know exactly what you are saying about others getting the privileges. I love my admin-but it's frustrating when you put in the time (and I'm the same way in early/stay late, volunteer for committees/leadership positions, even facilitate for 2 student books clubs as well as Student Council after school and an Art Club on Saturday mornings-not getting paid for it). Yet the ones that get recognition are the ones that always come in late, don't do lesson plans, ineffective teachers all around, don't contribute anything to our team or our school-but this one time they did what they were supposed to--yeah, congratulations. Grrr. We had that happen the other day, a name was announced over the loudspeaker-great job-we're so lucky to have you on our team, thanks for doing this one thing (that others at our school do on a daily basis).

It's like they don't feel they have to motivate us, so let's try to motivate the ones who need it. It's just become what's expected for us. Can you tell I'm a little bitter myself?....:rolleyes:

22. Simba

Simba Comrade

Apr 5, 2011

I can't tell you how relieved I am knowing other people that I admire here on A to Z feel the same way.

I'm SO burned out!

I'm trying to remind myself it's ok if I don't like working in the career I went to college for. I often feel like a failure because I don't want to do it anymore.

I thought I was the only one feeling this way.

...Now what?...Is all I keep asking myself? What else can I do with my education degree? It's fairly easy to APPLY for teaching jobs...Go to the district site, apply, etc.... (not as easy to obtain a teaching job)I feel like it's much more difficult to search for a job in the business world. Where do I start? What do I want to do?

It's all so stressful.

Thank you for being honest about your feelings.

Thank you for helping me feel normal...As though I'm not the only person feeling this way.

Thank you

23. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Apr 5, 2011

As much as I try to mentally prepare myself so these things don't affect me and to keep focus on the reason why I try to do my best (the students), it's very hard many times.

Last year I came home in tears after a coworker received the highest review when she missed about 20 days, was always late, left when the bell rang, and would kick students out of her classroom all the time.

I got a lower review even though I would stay after school to help struggling students, I would always work out a plan with behavior problem students, and the students' scores were great.

It all didn't matter to the principal because it all came down to personal reasons at the time of my review. This was a very painful dissapointment at the end of the year where I had given my best effort.

24. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 5, 2011

Even though I haven't graduated yet I've already thought about a backup plan. My degree won't be useful really unless I'm a teacher so I'd have to go back and get a second bachelors degree in whatever I pursued. :confused:

25. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2011

April is the burnout month, in all the years I taught April was "thee" month, Testing, parents claiming they did not know their child was failing and the point where a student who is failing would ask if they could do extra work to make up Zeros.

Believe it or not you can see the finish line and it is not coming up any faster.
    In many schools teachers would start to take fridays off as a "mental health" sick day.
    The teachers who were RIFed or not renewed would start taking the remaining sick days "use 'em or lose 'em" which put a burden on the teachers who were in school to cover classes because the school would have almost 50% of the teachers absent.

When I retired the district bought back my sick leave, I received about $3,000.00 :).

26. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 6, 2011

I do think that may be part of it-my kids are kind of in a slump this time of year too.

However, I do think even reading this forum has been more depressing than ever. Post after post about cuts, increased class sizes, more demands put on us, media telling us we're worthless, etc (not complaing about that-I actually find it interesting to see where issues are the same as ours). I really believe we are at a point in education where people are just fed up and find it's not worth all the stress. The powers that be all talk about getting rid of ineffective teachers, all this is actually probably going to drive away more of the effective teachers.

27. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 6, 2011

A wonderful teacher I admire so much once told me NEVER make a career change in April. She said that more people regret it later. She is right. I am not making a career change now. I am going to be smart about it. I am looking for another job over the summer and make a decision then. I am not burning bridges. I vent on here because I don't want to do it at school.

28. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2011

Huge hugs, mrachelle. I hope that taking some time and stepping back from the situation leads you down the right road for you and your family.

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 7, 2011

mrachelle87, I'm sorry you don't feel appreciated. I've always learned teaching to be a thankless job. At least you get appreciation letters from parents, which I hope you've kept. You sound like the model teacher who's passionate, but, you do what you have to do to be happy in this short life of ours. I'm not going to talk you into staying in teaching & no one (not your relatives, etc. should make you feel guilty for wanting out).

As long as you're completely sure that it's not just that particular school you're at, I say, that's great you'll go ahead & finish this yr out to the end & good luck in your quest to be content!