Punctuation Study

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by JennH1213, Oct 7, 2008.

1. JennH1213

JennH1213 Companion

Oct 7, 2008

What do you all do for a punctuation study? I would like to work on periods, commas, question marks, quotation marks, etc. Thanks!

3. tgim

tgim Habitué

Oct 8, 2008

We use some fun sounds to stand for each punctuation mark, like a quick "POP" for period, an excited "whooohoo" and a pop for an exclamation mark, a questioning "whoohoo?" followed by a pop for a question mark. We do gross-motor hand signs by drawing the punctuation mark in the air as we make the sounds.

It sounds odd, but it works to liven up the practice sessions as I read aloud various sentences. The kids love it!

For quotation marks, I just teach that the marks have to "hug" the words spoken. We do a lot of practice using sentences on the board and quotation mark-sticky notes (or use your letter machine to cut out several pairs). I also print off interesting photos from the internet...you know, those cute little "warm fuzzies" people send you. We use these in groups to practice writing what the person might be saying. We use speech bubbles and put them on the lockers when the group gets the punctuation correct. Another day we rotate the pictures and the next group has to come up with a quote. They actually BEG to do these!

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2008

tgim, that sounds very interesting. I think I am going to steal the sounds

5. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Oct 26, 2008

Very fun tgim! :) I'm stealing as well.

6. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Nov 4, 2008

I made a chart on construction paper with a title on each, telling sentence, question sentence, exclamation sentences and command sentence. I cut sentences strips in half vertical then half hortizontal. Each student would print out a sentence for each and it had to be different. I also made a flip book listing each kind of sentence, printed the definition of each, gave an example and had lines for students to write their own for each kind.

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2008

I accidentally stumbled upon hand signals (as a sub) and found that the kids love them and they really stick in their heads. I just use the actual words "period, question mark, etc." to go with the gestures.