Punctuation problems...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by PinkLily, Dec 3, 2010.

1. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Dec 3, 2010

How do you teach first graders to properly punctuate their work? My students know that they need a capital at the beginning of a sentence and a period at the end, but they rarely put them. I think that part of the problem is that they don't know where one sentence ends and another begins. How can I help them undertand?

3. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Dec 3, 2010

I taught the semicolon today. Maybe this might help a little.

My class is split into two sections and I normally stand in the middle. I told them that if I had two clauses/sentences that they could stand alone. In other words if I didnt have half the class with me that they would still be a class. It didn't matter if we didn't have the second section with us. The same with the other side. So I told them we needed to seperate ourselves, but still stay connected. Normally, we can use a conjunction and a comma, howeever, since someone was absent then we didnt have our conjunction.

I told them I was the comma, but without my conjunction we couldn't be together. So I turned into a semicolon...it worked. They understood me. Of course me standing up there moving around helped. What if your write out strips with sentences and capitlized letters, and periods and have them move around and write it correctly. Once you teach it, encrouage they higlight them so taht they can notice it too.

4. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2010

I remind the children every time we are writing. I call out "what do we put at the beginning of the sentences?" They call out "Upper Case Letters!" I call out "What do we put at the end of the sentences?" They call out "Periods!" I check for periods and upper case letters in any copying or simple sentences and send them back to put them in.

If a child is writing fairly well at this time I start helping them recognize the sentence breaks by reading back their stories to them and pausing at each sentence end. I start pointing out what notes a different sentences.

In about January I start doing sentence books where the children all need to write a few sentences when done the children exchange sentence books to have them corrected by another student. Once corrected by a student the children bring the sentence books to me to double check. I also have the kids do sentence correcting in written sentences.

The biggest thing is lots and lots of practice. My class does journal writing daily. They do sentence writing daily. I remind them as a class daily. I remind them as individuals if they are not doing it already daily. I have them correct their work daily, if needed.