Punctuality/Reliability

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 17, 2009

How puctual are you generally? Can people rely on you?

I'm extremely puctual. If I'm meeting someone someplace at a certain time, you better believe I'm the 1st one there (arriving 10 min early). Then, after about 15 min after the meet time, I'll call the person to see if they're clse to being there.

Once an old HS chum/teacher pal of mine & I agreed to meet for lunch & she completely forgot. She felt really bad.

Today, I was supposed to meet a friend between 9 & 9:30. She was coming from a far way. I was there at 8:58. I gave her a full 30 min & called her at 9:30 & found out she had car trouble. She said she didn't have my # to call even though I had given her my home & cell already. I was completely understanding though.

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Nov 17, 2009

I'm usually always on time unless there is bad traffic or some accident. I HATE being late! I don't like being too early either...but better than being late. I'll sit in my car if I'm really early, and then go in a few min before to where I need to be.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 17, 2009

I hate being late. I always try to arrive early for things. People who are late drive me nuts. It's worse if I know they are late because they dillydallying too much.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2009

I am absolutely obsessed with being everywhere on time or early.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 17, 2009

That's what my husband says about me LOL I remember when we were getting married the priest told us that I was the first bride in 2 years to arrive ON TIME to the church. My husband laughed and said YUP that's her!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 17, 2009

Plus, when you wake up early enough to give yourself plenty of time, you don't have to be driving like a bat out of hell to get to your destination. I HATE when drivers drive fast all around me...don't blame me for driving nice & leisurely & you're running late & driving like a maniac! :mad:

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2009

I am just about always early.

9. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Nov 17, 2009

I am perpetually a tiny bit late, which does bother me. I'm somehow always just making it at the last minute, or a couple minutes later than planned. I just can't get my life organized. I even tried setting my clock a few minutes ahead, but I just subtracted the minutes in my head. I am trying to become more like you early people.

10. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2009

I am always early or on time, rarely am I late and if it does happen it is because of something I have no control over...like being in an accident. People who are always late really irritate me. It's like they have no respect for the person that is waiting for them.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 17, 2009

I was a musician until an injury forced me to quit. I had it beat into my head that "if you're on time, you're late". If you're arriving for a rehersal at 9am, then you should be in your seat, warmed up and ready for the first baton to fall at 9am. That means you should probably get there around 8:30. I can't get over that mentality. I'm nearly always 15 to 20 minutes early to everything. I spend a LOT of time waiting in my car.

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2009

I am also in the always on time camp. People who are habitually late really bother me - I think it is rude and inconsiderate but it just doesn't seem to bother them.

My mil was one who was always late. I told her to be at my wedding 1 hour before and she wasn't there. Everyone wanted to wait and I said no way, I am being married on time. We were lined up, ready to go, music about to play when she rushed in. She was horrified I would have started without her but my husband was okay with it since she was already an hour late from when we told her to be there. Good thing she got there because I was not going to wait!

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 17, 2009

I agree. I mean if someone's late a couple times, OK, but this constant habit of being late is a real pain for the person that has to wait on them. I don't care if the person has to wake up twice as early as the other guy to get there on time, if that's what it takes, DO IT!

mmswm, yes, that's my way of thinking too. In one's seat & ready to go!

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2009

Being on time is not easy for me I try to be :30 early
    I work hard at being on time I have a routine that keeps my ADD mind on time, so when someone else makes me late I am furious :mad: (inside) or if someone is late meeting me I am furious (again on the inside) Lucky I am ADD and can't focus on the anger very long :mellow: :lol:
    [​IMG]

15. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Nov 17, 2009

I am either early or very early. When I'm early I get the chance to familiarize myself with the surroundings.

16. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Nov 17, 2009

:agreed:

When it comes to music rehearsals, 9 AM means everyone is set up and has tuned their instruments by 9 AM.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2009

It's the same with sport practices. If my daughter has a 7:00pm practice, she needs to be there by about 6:30 to get ready and socialize first so that she's ready to hit the field at 7:00.

I'm always early as well.

18. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Nov 18, 2009

I am always early and I also am annoyed by people who are habitually late. I do understand extenuating circumstances, but so many of the late people just don't care. I have 2 teammates who are late to school EVERY day, and they say, 'we just don't have enough time in the morning' and I say 'get up earlier!!!!'. I would much rather give myself more than enough time and be early, than to be late.
    I go for blood testing to a lab that opens at 8am. At 8 am, the employees are just coming in the door and then do all of their setting up until 8:15 or 8:20. That bugs me! When you open at
    8, you should be ready to take the first person at 8:01.

19. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Nov 18, 2009

mmswm - totally agree...I was in marching band in high school and we had a big sign on the wall "to be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, and to be late is inexcusable."

When my wife and I first started dating, she was always late...used to really stress me out, but the funny thing is...now that I don't stress about it anymore, we are more often than not on time anyway...

Another funny story, most of our friends are usually 15-20 minutes late for parties, etc...when we had our daughter's first birthday party some of her day care families showed up EXACTLY on time...I had just gotten out of the shower and was running around with a towel wrapped around me...lol

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 18, 2009

In Miami, we would just tell you that you're running on "Cuban Time". (and before anybody gets all offended, Cuban people are probably the first people to make the joke at the time it's being made...It's Miami's standard excuse for lateness).

21. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Nov 18, 2009

Yes, I am always either early or really early. I hate to be late!

22. glaciergirl

glaciergirl Rookie

Nov 18, 2009

I'm always on time, unless I hit traffic or an accident.

23. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Nov 18, 2009

I have an irrational fear of ever being late for anything. I don't have to be at school until 8:10, but if I'm there at 8AM I feel like I'm late. I also like having my "me" time in my classroom before my co-workers arrive.

Add me to the list of those who also hate it when others are late. I can forgive reasons like traffic (it's SO bad where I live-- people here cannot drive), kids, or pets.

24. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 19, 2009

Early bird here, it bugs to me to no end to have to wait on someone.

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 19, 2009

I'm always early. It makes me nervous to be late. I also hate having to wait on someone, and the people I know who are chronically late drive me insane.