Pumpkins

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by taraes1982, Oct 28, 2007.

1. taraes1982

taraes1982 Rookie

Oct 28, 2007

Okay, so I know pumpkins is a unit that so overused sometimes, but I still love doing it! Post your pumpkin/Halloween activities here and give me and everyone else some good ideas to use!!

Something I did this year....I gave each student a paper pumpkin from a dye cutter. Then, each student got a sheet of paper with three mouth choices, three eye choices and three nose choices copied on it. I instructed the students to create their own jack o lantern with the materials. I told them they had to leave their pumpkin orange, and to color their eyes/nose/mouth black before gluing on. (You'll see why later....) The next day I told the students to get their paper jack o laterns out and get with their shoulder partner. I gave each pair a venn diagram made out of two pumpkins and told them to compare/contrast theirs and their partners jack o lantern. (I printed out two clipart pumpkins from the internet, and, using a black sharpie and the copier, made the venn diagram with the two identical pumpkins....it was very cute!) They all had at least two or three things similar with their partner, even if their faces were different. They were all orange, had a stem, and had black features...that's why I had them do this part the same earlier....I thought this was a cute way for them to practice comparing with something they had ownership over and not just something I made and put in front of them. They liked it!:2up:

3. newtiepatootie

newtiepatootie New Member

Oct 29, 2007

This is a great idea! I am going to use this since we have just started using the Venn diagram. Thanks!
    :2up:

4. taraes1982

taraes1982 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007

Glad you could use it!

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2007

Life cycle of the pumpkin

out of construction have templates to make:
    brown seed
    green leaf
    yellow flower
    small green pumpkin
    orange pumpkin

Use green yarn for vine.
    Tape the pieces in correct order to the vine.

After the orange pumpkin, you could have then make a jack-o-lantern or pumpkin pie picture.

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Oct 30, 2007

An activity I do is using the book "The Giant Pumpkin" from the old Wright Group series. It tells the story of a couple who thinks of various ways to use their pumpkin that keeps growing and growing. At the end it explodes and they have a pumpkin soup party. I have the children think of what they would make with a giant pumpkin and why. We create a pop up book. We read our stories to each other while enjoying pumpkin soup that I make and bring in.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 30, 2007

I actually just finished reading Ready Freddy! The Pumpkin Elf Mystery. I then had the pumpkin elf visit our classroom. The kids love it. There are so many books about pumpkins. I'm also using these to help teach non-fiction strategies.

8. JillianCleary

JillianCleary Rookie

Nov 7, 2007

We did the same thing with Pumpkin Elf Mystery and my kids absolutely loved the book. We just started Turkey Trouble Anyone have any cute thanksgiving math ideas??? I am look for a thanksgiving themed math bulletin board

9. maroki

maroki Comrade

Nov 7, 2007

We made a class pumpkin patch after reading a book about a day at the pumkin patch...

Each student got a large piece of orange construction paper to creat their own pumpkin. They also got a green pipe cleaner and two die cut leaves. They each took turns placing their pumpkin on the huge piece of brown butcher paper that represented our dirt, and then they glued the leaves and vines on the pumpkin patch as well. When they were finished I added some extra vines to connect all the pumpkins. It turned out so cute!!! :2up:

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 8, 2007

I also have a pumpkin patch outside my room. We were studying nouns and quatrains, so a teacher came up with a MadLib type poem for them to fill out. It's really cute.