Pumping milk at work

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by AZSpedtchr, May 6, 2009.

1. AZSpedtchr

AZSpedtchr Rookie

May 6, 2009

Hey,
    Anyone out there with experience pumping milk while at work? I just had a baby 2 weeks ago and am on maternity leave until the start of the next school year. I am not sure whether I will take next year off, and one of my main concerns is how I would be able to manage pumping milk at the school. I cannot figure out how I will have the time!!!

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 6, 2009

You will have to do it during your prep period or a break. Just go into the bathroom stall (faculty) and do it, then I think you can freeze it. If you are comfortable talking to your P. or team members let them know you have to keep this schedule or you will start leaking milk, and get very cranky. Good luck!

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 6, 2009

My student teacher was pumping last year, so I let her store her milk in my little mini fridge in my room. If you can get one, it's a big help.

Also, I can lock my door and you can't see in to the classroom, so I would leave the room while the kids were at specials or something, and let her use the room. I personally wouldn't like using the bathroom.

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 6, 2009

I did for a year! I was fortunate to have an abundant supply, so it worked for me to pump just once each day. I pumped in my classroom while my students were at lunch. While it was kind of hard to add something else to my busy day, I really loved having that time to just focus on my son and know that I was doing something wonderful for him even though I was away from him.

I have a small refrigerator in my classroom and would just put the bottles and all of the pump parts in there when I was done. I didn't take the time to wash it at school. I just washed it at night. I left the pump itself at school and brought the horns and bottles back and forth each day in an insulated bag.

15-20 minutes was all it took. I usually sat with something to read and something that I could eat with one hand. Although they do make bras to hold the pump so you could sit and eat or whatnot with both hands.

6. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

May 7, 2009

I did this for my daughter for about 2 months. It was difficult because my supply didnt want to work with the break schedule so i eventually stopped because of engorgement. I would go in the restroom and sit in a chair in the corner at the recess and lunch breaks, and right after school. I just took a insulated lunch box with me and a few ice packs to keep it cold durring the day. This was 9 years ago, so i hope the pumps are lighter and easier to use than the one i rented from the hospital back then. I actually just left the pump in the restroom so i didnt have to carry it around with me.

7. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

May 7, 2009

I did also for almost a year. I pumped twice a day on my prep and at lunch, and kept the milk in a cooler bag. Breast milk is safe at room temp for a pretty long time.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 7, 2009

I was lucky enough to come home. But I know another teacher who would pump in a small room no one would walk into her. She did it at lunch everyday.

I'm with KCJO, I wouldn't be able to do that in the bathroom. I don't eat in the bathroom, so why should I have to pump in there.

Check with your insurance because it may cover a pump. I know mine we only had to pay $50, but now they cover it. Get a good pump as well.

Like Mom said Breast milk "freshly" pumped can stay safe at room temp for awhile... quite awhile in fact.

Good luck & try to stick with it even when it's frustrating. Any questions that I may be able answer PM me.