Pumping at school after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by massteacher, Oct 9, 2012.

1. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Oct 9, 2012

Hi all,
    Does anyone have experience with pumping at school after your maternity leave ended? I am returning to school at the beginning of November, and in an ideal world would like to try pumping, but I don't know how feasible it actually will be between having the kids in class, etc etc. Does anyone have experience with this? I'd love to hear it, and if you weaned your child beforehand I would love to hear how you did that as well. Thank you!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2012

I pumped at school with my first until she was a year old. I am currently pumping at school with my second (have been since school started in Aug).

It's a bit of a pain to pump at work. It takes away valuable time that you could spend doing other things. I would definitely take a look at your schedule to see if you can fit in the pumping times.

You'll probably want a time about 2 hours after you last feed your child, another time about 2 hours later, and one last time before you head home.

If you are planning to pump, I would buy a nice pump or a hospital grade pump (you can find one on ebay for cheaper). I would be sure to have a nice hands free pump bra too. They are awesome!

4. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2012

Agree that it's a total pain but I was committed enough to do it once... don't think I'll be able to handle it again next time but I'll try to start out on the right foot and see how long it lasts.

I pumped in the morning before leaving - you work up to it, should be able to get a good amount after baby's regular feeding. Then again during my break time. I actually found it more efficient to just hand express because I never got the hang of hands-free pumping anyway - doing it by hand was just more comfortable for me and didn't leave me with all the apparatus to set up, take down, clean, stash, etc. But if you can pump hands free then that probably is better. Then I did another round before leaving and still had enough left in me to feed the baby as soon as I got home. By feeding right before and right after work, I only really needed two bottles to get through the day. I had also built up a stash before I went back to work, that lasted a while as backup for when things happened like leaky bags or such.

Anyway all that was such a drag that I started my baby on food probably a lot sooner than I would have otherwise. That way she had a food feeding while I was at work and I didn't need to do so much pumping.

Next time I'm planning to maybe express one bottle per day and supplement with formula. Now that I'll have 2 kids I'd rather spend that time before and after work with them and not hooked up to my pump.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2012

Definitely use the time before returning to work to build up a supply if you plan to pump. It does ease the mind a bit because the amount you make will vary from day to day. It also builds your supply (which is much easier to do earlier rather than later).

Practice, practice, practice before you go back to work. This will help you feel comfortable with the pump (this takes some time), learn how to use the pump, and make it easier when you rely on the device.

6. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Oct 10, 2012

Thanks for the advice. I go back the second week of November so I'm planning on starting to pump two weeks prior and pump during the times of day that I'll most likely be pumping at school to build up more supply. Does that sound about right? Or would you recommend pumping shortly after my daughter feeds a couple of times a day starting now? I do want to have more milk stored. I probably only have enough for a day of daycare right now. bah.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2012

I would start pumping right after she feeds as soon as you can. You will probably only make a two oz or less each time, but it will help you become more comfortable with the machine and will help you to build up a little supply.

8. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Oct 10, 2012

When you start pumping Feed off one pump the other after. Then switch sides the next time. I pumped the full year for both kids. My bigest suggestion is to use 2 pumps if your going to. One for home and one for school.
    The medella pump for around 300 is very nice and is what I used at school. But you can often rent hospital grade machines at the hospital or laleche league. (If your hospital has a lactation consultant call and ask about it.) I had a pump for work and one for home. (my oldest was bottle fed breast milk the 2nd latched just fine) I still pumped at home like above on the weekends.

If your schedule allows it 3 hour intervals is best for most unless of course your body tells you different. I had a closet I kept the pump in so i didnt have to haul it everywhere just do a quick clean of the needed parts.

Another piece of advice is if you find your milk suply dwindling you can use Fenugreek to boost supply. 2 pills 3 times a day. It makes you smell mike maple syrup but at least you'll know its working.

Best of luck feel free to ask questions I'm an old pro at it!

9. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Oct 10, 2012

Make sure you have a DISCREET way to refrigerate the pumped milk. If you use the faculty fridge, PLEASE don't store it in a container labeled "Mommy's milk." (Yes, someone at our school did that.)

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2012

I kept an ice pack to store my milk. It actually came with my medela pump and worked well.

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2012

No advice, but just wanted to say Congrats on your new sweet little one! Enjoy the last few weeks of leave.

12. txagteach

txagteach Rookie

Oct 10, 2012

I am going back in a few weeks as well. My only planning period is from 10:10-11 every morning, so that will be my pumping time. (I also have lunch off every other day from 11:10-11:40, but not like I can pump again during that time too.) We get out at 2:45, so I'll just have to pump after carpool too. I'm renting a hospital grade in hopes of building up a nice supply now so that my 2 pumping times a day (plus nursing her before school and after school/night) will get us by. I pumped with my last daughter too, but my supply dipped pretty low then I got pregnant again and it completely wiped out my supply.

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2012

Have you talked with your principal? It's not law but some principals will allow you an extra pump break. I know that my principal was going to give me an assistant once a day so that I could pump in the afternoon.

14. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Oct 11, 2012

I pumped with both of my daughters. I would nurse them in the morning on one side and pump the other simultaneously. At noon, I would pump both. Immediately after school, I would either pump both or would pick up the baby right away to do the pump/nurse thing again. The first week or so back, I did need to do a quick pump in the middle of the morning to take the "edge off". After that, my body got used to the schedule. I didn't lose any production by dropping down to that number of pumpings. At night, I would nurse the baby as often as she needed. I had plenty to send bottles the next day to daycare and put a little in the freezer.

I would suggest for the first couple of weeks for you to make sure that you have pads with you. There are those awkward times when you "let down" when it is SO not convenient. :) Also, if you run a little long at the end of the day, you would have protection.