Pulling out my hair!!!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by purplecrazy21, Mar 10, 2008.

1. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Mar 10, 2008

Hello fellow K teachers!
    Is it just me, or have the K kids gone nuts recently?? For the last 2 weeks, my kids have been absolutely uncharacteristicly crazy. They talk non-stop everywhere we go/are. They play when they are supposed to be learning, they yell, they run, etc. etc. It is like they have totally forgotten the rules we have practiced since August.
    Their voices, seriously, NEVER stop. No matter what, they talk talk talk.
    I have tried everything to get them back on track. We've gone back and practiced procedures, they have lost recess/center time, called home, visited the office or had time out in other classrooms, etc. Nothing has helped.
    Does anyone have a sure fire strategy to help me get them back on track? I am at my wit's end. I have tried everything I can think of and 6 or so of the kids are causing 90 percent of the problems. The remaining 18 kids feed off these 6.
    HELP!! :)
    Thanks!

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 11, 2008

My 5th graders have been going through the same thing, I think the crazy weather is really affecting them, though. In the past 2 weeks we've gone from 80 degrees to actually getting snow, to rain, to cold, and back to warm. I admire you for teaching K, though. I love the little ones, but with my kids I can put them to work and get a break from them. K teachers don't get that!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2008

Just think: Spring Break is around the corner!

Christy, I agree that the crazy changes in the weather probably have a lot to do with it. Thursday/Friday we had snow, Sunday rain, and its supposed to get up into the 80s on Thursday.

5. kellinakmp

kellinakmp New Member

Mar 11, 2008

I completely understand you. My children will not stop talking. We were so late for lunch today because we had to stop in the hall for them to settle down. It doesn't help that I just got a new child yesterday. Why can't people just stay put until the end of the school year. This is this child's 3rd school this year! I can't wait until Easter!

6. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Mar 11, 2008

Spring Fever! I have taught from K-8th and it happens at all grade levels. Mine are excited about the book fair, field trip on Friday and our egg hunt/picnic next week. Thank goodness for spring break!

7. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Mar 11, 2008

Cabin fever...

8. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Mar 11, 2008

Well, at least I know there is a reason now! :) Spring fever must be it. We have the book fair, conferences, spring break, and a number of Holy Week activities next week.

Christy, that is one thing I really miss about teaching the older grades. I really liked the part where I could put them to work and breathe for a few minutes. My class now does not allow for that!

Kelli,
    Yes, we've been late to several places because we had to stop the line too. And getting a new student now? Blech. I feel sorry for you. I'm losing a student next week. I sure hope I don't gain one!

9. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Mar 12, 2008

It has been the same in my class! They talk non-stop! But surprisingly have also been very productive. I use a lot of cues to get their attention (no sense in adding my voice to theirs - wish my aide would get that- whole other story)I clap a pattern that they follow, begin singing(they soon join in) or do the "123 eyes on me..." chant. I think it is a combination of a looooong winter, spring fever and just that time of the year. If they are working and not off task or overly loud I tend to ignore the noise. I also have some naturally loud talkers . Good luck!!

10. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Mar 12, 2008

kidsalot,
    My kids even ignore my attention getters (1,2,3 eyes on me, etc). They talk right over those too.
    When we go to their tables, they're a little more productive but I'm having a heck of a time teaching the lesson on the floor because they talk right over the top of me and do not care that I or the ones that want to learn are telling them to be quiet.
    I have one too that is an exceptionally loud talker and talks just to hear the sound of his voice. The spotlight has to be on him at all times.

11. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Mar 13, 2008

My loud talkers are just loud. They have only one volume! I too have limited my rug time lessons. At least at tables I have assigned seating and am able to split up my children who have difficulty. Thank goodness (so far) my cues are still working. I also use two incentives . Individual children receive a leaf with their name that I put up on a tree if they are "caught" being kind. Kindness includes listening to their friends and teachers. For the whole group I have listening links. A link is added when the entire group is listening - no exceptions. When uit reaches the floor we will have a celebration.

12. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Mar 13, 2008

I like the listening links idea...I might try that. I also might pass it on to a few other adults in our building that work with my kids. They say my kids are out of control(and they are) but they aren't as firm with my class as they need to be. The things they tell me the kids do don't happen when I'm in charge.

13. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Mar 13, 2008

I did the listening links with my class last year, it was one incentive that REALLY worked well with them.

14. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2008

I love the listening links idea!

I hear you about the talkers. And I agree that part of it is due to the time of year. We have spring break for a reason! My students also have kind of cabin fever. We haven't had recess in ages and they really, really do need an outlet for their energy. So I try to add lots of movement activities.

If I can wow them enough with a lesson I can keep them quiet for a little while, too. Or just change things up a bit - like do "super fast" calendar.

15. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Mar 15, 2008

Don't forget, we have the spring time change. We set our clocks ahead an hour.I hate that! The kids are off- I can't sleep right. Who ever thought this idea up should rethink it!!!