Publishing poetry?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by scooter503, Jan 13, 2010.

1. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jan 13, 2010

I have a student who loves to write poetry and is interested in trying to get something published. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any contests or something similar you know of that she could participate in? I would like to encourage her to keep writing.

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 13, 2010

There are some to beware especially online but I can't think of any at the moment that stand out. If you submit poetry and then they ask you to buy a book then it's a scam. It's easier to self-publish when it comes to that. I know that public radio in Mississippi has a spot where writers (students and teachers) are spotlighted for their work and broadcast doing a reading of their work. It might be the same where you are.

4. Braves09

Braves09 Rookie

Jan 13, 2010

Your local library may have some contests. I know ours does. Try checking their website.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 13, 2010

Highlights magazine publishes students' work. There are also various sites online that publish. Google some key words.

6. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Jan 16, 2010

http://www.wikicu.com/Joyce_Kilmer_Memorial_Bad_Poetry_Contest

A university prof once told me "Just because you have a feeling doesn't mean you can write poetry. You have 10 fingers; can you perform surgery?"

There are plenty of vanity publishers who will be happy to publish your poems & stories so they can sell you the book.

Caveat Emptor.

Best to you.