Publishing Party

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by st1981, May 5, 2007.

1. st1981

st1981 Rookie

May 5, 2007

I am a first grade teacher and I am planning on having a publishing party with my students in a few weeks. For each student, I am going to type one of their better stories and have them illustrate it. I will then bind it together. In the story, I am planning to include a dedicatation page, a title page, and an author page along with their picture. We are going to make invitations and invite their parents and grandparents. I am planning on having cookies and coke for a snack. Can anyone think of any cute invitation ideas that I could use that would be simple and fun to make. Thanks!

3. classemom

classemom Rookie

May 6, 2007

Maybe an invitation that looks like a book on the outside would be cute!
    ~ or even having the kids themselves write the invitations....

I will be teaching first grade next year....I love your idea about the party! I have planned on publishing too, and bought an old director's type chair at a garage sale...I plan on labeling it "Author's Chair", and having the students sit in it when they read their books to the class.

How do you bind your books?

Goodluck with your party...it sounds like so much fun and I know the parents will just love it!

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 6, 2007

Just wondering is your party going to be during the school day or after school? I wanted do so something like this. I did it with the kids in March. They had so much fun.

5. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

May 6, 2007

That sounds like a lot of fun. Do you have each child read his/her story to their parents or aloud to the whole group? I might do something like that toward the end of the month. Did they pick their best pieces or were they all the same?

6. JenL

JenL Comrade

May 6, 2007

i love publishing parties...i try to do one a grading period...
    i have mine during the school day and the kids share their stories with the people there and then their parents/friends/classmates sign a sheet with what they liked best.
    i have always wanted to have each of them read their story one at a time but that seems lengthy.

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 6, 2007

Okay maybe we'll have another one the week before school gets out. We'll invite the parents but if they don't show up, they don't show up. I have little involvement and a lot of the parents work or go to school during the day. But it's worth a shot. I've always wanted to do this!

8. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

May 6, 2007

I do a publishing party or "writing celebration" every month!!! As part of our reading/writing program, we allow the kids to celebrate their writing after every writing unit. I've done just a basic snack and have the kids read their published stories, I've had partners share their stories together, I've had kids rotate through the room. But I am ending my poetry unit and I think I will do a "Poetry Cafe". I will set up the desks in maybe a circle, sip hot cocoa (pretend its tea), serve cookies/bagels etc. and have them sit in the author's chair and share their poems. Or I might put all the poems on desks in a circle and have the kids walk around the circle, reading other kids poems freely. Maybe display each poem on a posterboard beautifully and set it up like a museum type thing. I think it's time for my kids to be independent even during writing celebrations. They've had lots of experience in what to do when someone shares, what to say (name 2 things you liked) and also how to be respectful and appreciate others writing. Hmm...I let you all know how it goes.

9. st1981

st1981 Rookie

May 7, 2007

I will be hiving it on Friday, May 25th. I think I am going to do it in the morning simply because I am taking a personal day in the afternoon. Originally, I wanted it to be at the end of the day, but this way is fine to. My principal liked my idea. But first I have to find time to type them up. I am running out of time.