Publishing Ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lcr, Jan 31, 2005.

1. lcr

lcr Companion

Jan 31, 2005

My fourth graders have been working on a creative story over the past few weeks. I was wondering if anyone had any publishing ideas? How can I turn their stories into class books? Thanks!

3. Maxine

Maxine Companion

Feb 1, 2005

If you have access to a laminating machine, run them through and punch 3 holes so that they fit into a 1" binder. Have a contest among the students to create a WordArt design for the front page. They could even colaborate on an index listing the page topic and author.

4. LABooks

LABooks Rookie

Feb 1, 2005

This link has several books about creating books for children.

You can make very attractive book covers by getting donated samples of wall paper. Be sure there is a high cloth content so they will be more durable. I suggest using 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper without folding it if there will be many pages. Just cut the wall paper samples to the correct size and staple the papers inside. You might want to cover rough edges of the staples on the back cover with a row of tape.

If there are only about 5 or 6 pages, this will be thin enough to put the pages and cover into report covers using the slide bar to hold them together.

Betsy
    Learning Abilities Books

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  5. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Feb 1, 2005

When I was a student in Elementary school for book-week we all wrote and "published" our own books. We wrote and edited the stories over the course of a few weeks, and then we typed them on the classroom computer, being sure to leave room for a picture (to be illustrated by us!) on each page. Then we designed the cover on construction paper and the teacher laminated the cover and a coordinating back cover. Some teachers stapled the books together, and others brought our books to the teacher centre where they were spiral-bound for us. I still have three of these first books of mine!

6. frenchie

frenchie Rookie

Feb 1, 2005

book bags

Hi! Do you have access to a binding machine? One of those kind that punches lots of little rectangle holes and inserts the plastic band on the "book"? If so, here's a great idea. Get a colorful or picture gift bag. Like with a ropey jute handle. That becomes your cover. You can coordinate it with your story, or just buy a color or patterned one. Cut the bag apart into a front and back. Use wide clear tape to tape down the excess parts (ths side and bottom of bag). You can create titles on computer and tape/glue on bag. Then, bind the bag and story together. You can bind on the side so the handle is at the top, or on the "bottom" of the bag so the handle is on the right. It is tooooooooo cute. If you don't have a binding machine, you could use metal rings, chicken rings, or even yarn if you must. You can find the bags fairly inexpensive at a Dollar Tree type store. Enjoy!! I usually do this near the end of the year and have an Author's Picnic. We invite the parents, share our books aloud. Lots of fun.

Also, there is a company called Bare Books. They have blank hard back books. They cost about $1.25 each. If you have any left over money :) I have used these and the children LOVE them. You just write inside and illustrate the cover. Just like a real book.

7. frenchie

frenchie Rookie

Feb 1, 2005

book bag again

I reread your post and realized you probably wanted a class book. I have also used this method and bound the whole class stories. A little trick I also do is to send the book home with a different child each night to share with their family. This helps the parents to see where their child might need some extra help. I know this sounds kind of bad in a way, but it does help in some cases. I also attach a piece of paper to the back cover so the parents can write comments. It's always complimentary and the children love it. I have my parents sign a form at the beginning of school saying I can display their child's work, pictures, etc. so I don't have a privacy issue.

8. lcr

lcr Companion

Feb 2, 2005

Thank you so much for all of your ideas! I really liked the idea about the parent comments!

9. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Feb 4, 2005

I once put our class story on giant pieces of chart paper. The students illustrated it and we hung it outside in the hallways. We received lots of compliments!