Public Schools vs. Private Schools

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by nicy, Oct 8, 2005.

1. nicy

nicy Rookie

Oct 8, 2005

Hey, looking for a bit of advice. I have taught in inner city public schools for nine years. I resigned from my last job (w/o a new job) because I just couldn't take it anymore. Discipline problems were an everyday part of life and of course I would get the worst of them because I could "handle" them. I still loved my kids though, :rolleyes: it was the administration and the parents I couldn't stand. One year I had two parents about to fight and they were blocking my door. It was 8:30 am, the day hadn't even started yet. :eek: They were cursing in front of my kids (fourth graders) it was ridiculous. Principal? No where to be found. Security? Didn't seem that stressed. And that is not even the worst of the incidents that would go on in that school. :(

Anyway, I have just interviewed at an independent school. The campus is GORGEOUS!!! :) The people seem friendly. I have to give a demo lesson on Friday. The thing is, I just don't know what to expect. I guess I am so used to the nonsense that I don't even know how to react to an environment that isn't chaotic. What about pay? I don't think private schools have unions. Like I said, I went to private schools growing up, but I don't know what it's like to teach in one. Any advice would be GREATLY appreicated. Thanks!! :D

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 8, 2005

Pay is often much lower than in public. The atmosphere depends upon the school. Some private schools have their own set of issues - not always, but, in general, the parents can be overprotective, the children, coddled and dependent. Some schools are too ritzy for my taste, the kids too wealthy to be regular kids. My school isn't at all ritzy and we can maintain a calm, child-centered, gentle atmosphere with very few behavior problems. Being a small facility helps.

4. wolfster

wolfster Rookie

Oct 8, 2005

Hi,

I just started working at a private high school (also in New Jersey). I can't compare the discipline, etc., but regarding pay - I think my salary is similar to what I would receive at the public schools in the area (I looked online at the 'steps' for public schools).

However, there are private schools in the area that do pay lower (and I would even say half the salary) of a public school, so you do need to be careful.

I would be happy to share info regarding the private school that I work at (via email), but I am not going to post info in the public forum here.

5. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Oct 9, 2005

wolfster--can you give me the website for the steps? Was it just for your town or is there a comprehensive site for each county.......? thanks

nicy--as upsadaisy said, it is different from school to school. In my experience, the friends schools are closer to the public school pay than the catholic schools are. But with the catholic schools you usually get better benefits since the diocese is so big. One friends school I applied at (now we're going back a few!) was paying around $10,000 less than surrounding districts with ok benefits. The nearby catholic school was paying about $12,000 less but since it was connected with the camden diocese you got good benefits and a 403(b) (like a 401 (k) but for nonprofits.)

6. nicy

nicy Rookie

Oct 9, 2005

thanks for the feedback everyone. my demo lesson is on friday, i'll keep you posted on the outcome. :)