public schools use of readingatoz

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by brandy, Mar 31, 2010.

1. brandy

brandy Rookie

Mar 31, 2010

do public schools consider running records of readingatoz leveled books to be an accurate/valid assessment tool to determine if a child is reading on grade level or below grade level? i know there is a correlation chart on the website but i was wondering if PUBLIC SCHOOLS CONSIDER the levels/running records comparable to DRA levels.
    Also, what level should a first grader be at in late March?
    Is it considered on grade level for a first grader to be at an instructional level of I or J by the end of the year?
    thanks

3. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2010

My old school was a huge fan of reading a to z. I tried to get my new school on it but we just have too much other stuff we can use.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2010

My school has a subscription. We use the Fountas and Pinnell levels- which are different than the levels listed on some of the books.

5. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Apr 7, 2010

We use DRA and A-Z and have 5 data points with running records for the year (3 DRA with 2 A-Z in between). We generally feel like A-Z books are a bit harder. Especially for the lowest levels.

There is an assessment tab on the a-z website and we've found some other great tools for our common assessments (fluency for ex)

:)

6. meltua

meltua Rookie

Apr 7, 2010

At my school we consider an independent (not instructional) level I to be on grade level for the end of first.

7. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Apr 9, 2010

We have also found A-Z books to run about 1 level harder. For example, a level 8 A-Z book corresponds to a level 10 DRA. Our students have to be at an instructional level 16/I, but next year it is changing to an independent level 16/I.

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2010

We used it a lot in years past and found it to be credible. We adopted Treasures last year so the school no longer subscribes to it.