Public School #

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustMe, Jul 21, 2009.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2009

Quick Question: Someone posted a link to PS22's website, as in Public School Number 22, which reminded me of seeing schools being referred to by number in several movies. My question is, are schools really referred to by their number instead of a name? Would someone actually say I teach at PS22? That seems really odd and "cold".

3. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

I think the first time I noticed this was on the show Hey Arnold! Everyone just referred to their school as the number. Do they even have other names? I don't think it's too different from having a name.

4. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 21, 2009

I have always wondered about that myself. There's nothing like that around here.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2009

Oh, but a number seems so impersonal to me. What if we called on our students by their student id? :)

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 21, 2009

I'm pretty sure all of the schools in NYC are numbered that way.

7. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

That would be fine with me. Then I would not mangle their names when taking attendance. :)

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2009

I'm almost positive you're right.

9. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jul 22, 2009

My school district (IN) refers to schools by number. They each have an official name, but since there are so many schools in the district they are referred to as a number. When someone answers the phone they say the number and the name of the school.

10. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2009

Yes, there are schools like that, even outside the city. I do find it pretty impersonal.

11. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 22, 2009

In Baltimore, all of the schools have numbers. From what I understand, that's all they used to have, except maybe some of the famous high schools like City College. Some years ago, they decided to name them all. A lot of the older administrators would refer to schools by their number instead of their name.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2009

NYC's school system is HUGE...actually sthe largest school system in the United States, with over 1.1 million students taught in more than 1,400 separate schools.
    There are more students (over 1 million) in the system than people in eight U.S. states—
    Every school in NYC has both a name and a number. Most people don't use the name, just the number. But there are exceptions. There is 'The New School' which is referred to in a lot of Columbia Teachers' College writings as it is a successful reading and writing project school in which many of the TC 'movers and shakers' have done great work- it's pretty much known only by its name...High Schools in the city are referred to by name, not number.
    It's not impersonal- all schools have their own culture and climate, their own personalities- it's the students, faculty and staff inside that give a school it's character, not the name. :love:

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2009

I guess because all of the schools I've ever attended were named in reference to the small communities which they are a part of, I associate the name with a tight-knit community...and therefore a number seems so odd to me.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2009

But NYC schools ARE neighborhood schools, for the most part! I know it's hard to believe to people who don't know NYC, but there are 'tight-knit' community feelings in many neighborhoods in the city and schools become 'communities' within themselves...Sure there are some TOUGH schools- but all cities have some of those...

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2009

Oh, I know...in fact, city schools are more neighborhood oriented than the schools I attended. My entire county has only two small elementaries, one middle, and one high school, but it's of course still very tight-knit because the county is your neighborhood, if that makes sense. Like I said, it's just an association I have...numbers just don't seem personal. I totally get what you're saying though. :)

16. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Jul 22, 2009

I don't know about schools, but all the districts around here are referred to by a number. Such as my city has district 49, district 38 and so on. When I say where I work I would say I work in district #x. Each district has a name also, but they are more often referred to by their number. There are eight districts within (or just outside) the city limits.