Public school teaching positions applications result

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lollol9900, Apr 29, 2015.

1. lollol9900

lollol9900 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015

I just completed applications for teaching positions in various districts like one or two weeks ago.

They did not have many Kindergarten or first grade teaching positions open. I actually think I found one vacancy....

Anyways, I just applied to bunch of districts.

When do they usually get back to you?

It is my first time applying for a job so I was wondering when public schools reach out to candidates.

Thank you in advance!

3. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Apr 29, 2015

Varies by district. SOme want to get it done with, some want to wait until school is out. No set time or way of doing it, at least here in Ohio.

4. Newb

Newb Rookie

Apr 29, 2015

It's going to depend on where you're at and what the people doing the hiring like to do, unfortunately.

Where I'm at, most districts have a policy that jobs must be posted for 2 weeks before they officially hire someone. Some will go ahead and call applicants back immediately, some will wait until the 2 weeks is up, and some might even wait until school's out for the summer.

It's VERY common for new teachers here to land their first jobs at the last minute in July or August. That's because experienced candidates or student teachers with inside tracks get the first shot at the early openings. Then when those teachers move on from their old jobs, their old employers will open things up and there's another big round of hiring that starts in July. It's like a game of musical chairs and new teachers slot in at the end of it.

Don't worry about hearing back from them right now. Go head and keep looking and applying for other jobs and keep planning your life as if you don't have a teaching job for the fall, so be ready to sub or do something else in the event you don't get called. Subbing for a year's not a bad way to make some good contacts, if you can afford to do it.

5. ACinTexas

ACinTexas Rookie

Apr 29, 2015

The large urban district in my city is very actively hiring right now, daily, and is having job fairs every other weekend.

The openings seem to change all the time.

The teachers that are going to be leaving (thus creating a vacancy) are waiting to officially quit until they themselves get an offer for a new position.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 29, 2015

The bigger the district, the longer it might take to hear back. If you apply to a small district and don't hear back within a week... you might be kept in their pool for future openings, but probably not that one. With a big district though, you could hear about openings a long time after applying. For my current job, I applied in May, and got calls at different schools throughout the summer. I accepted at one school in July.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2015

I've heard back the same day and there are districts that I still haven't heard from- years later. There is no real answer to this question, unfortunately. Every district does things differently and even that changes year-to-year.