Public school teachers sending their kids to private school..

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Oct 10, 2012.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 10, 2012

What is your opinion about this?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 10, 2012

They are probably thankful to have a public job that pays more than private but rather have their kids in the private school. I don't blame them.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2012

I think they have a right to send their kids anywhere they want, just as every other citizen has.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2012

Meh. To each their own.

6. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Oct 10, 2012

We have several families in my Catholic school whose parents teach in the local public schools. They choose to send their kids to our school so they can receive a faith-based education. Nothing wrong in that.... it's what they want for their children.

7. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Oct 10, 2012

I say I have the right to do what is right for my child/family. Nobody can make that choice for me just because I am a public school teacher. I am a public servant, not a public slave!
    My children attend public school, but I would change that in a heartbeat if I thought that was what was best for my child.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2012

It's a parental decision, like MANY others.. Not something I question.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 10, 2012

I just assume they do so for religious reasons, but I really don't care.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2012

This.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 10, 2012

If you want to send your child to a private school and can find a way to pay for it, then go ahead. It wouldn't bother me.

12. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Oct 10, 2012

When I have children they are definitely going to a private school! I went to private schools as a child. I've taught in both and the differences are so drastic that I'd much rather have my child in a private than public school (religious/academic reasons).

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2012

Parents have to make the right decisions for their families. None of my business where a fellow teacher chooses to send their kids to school.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2012

I'm kind of curious about what prompted the question.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2012

Parents, any parent, has the right to send their child to whatever school they want..private or public.

16. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 10, 2012

You had to ask...;)
    So.....the vice principal at our school had her daughter in a very prestigious private school in the county, ($17,500/year) and the Superintendent told her flat out that it made our school "look bad." He all but told her to take her out of the school and enroll her in ours.

No, we don't have a union.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2012

Your supe is overstepping.

18. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Oct 10, 2012

Every parent should be able to make the best decision for their child and their family.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 10, 2012

They can send their children wherever they wish. I don't care. People have all kinds of reasons for choosing certain schools, and it's not my decision to make.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2012

Ohhhh, big time!!!

21. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 10, 2012

All my admin have their kids in private schools. Most of the teachers too. It's mostly about class size...but it could be religious reasons as well. None of my business, really. Do what's best for your family.

22. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 10, 2012

I am a supporter of quality public, charter, and private schools. Any school that stands up and does a great job of teaching our children is helping our society. Any parent should send the child to the best school for their child. Having taught in both public and private, I feel the labels are way over used. If a school is a good one, I wouldn't care if it was public, charter, or private. To me those words are far less important than the children we serve.

23. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 10, 2012

I think it's not really anyone's business...the superintendent was wrong for saying that! My mom taught private school, but sent me to public. I never thought it was that weird. With all of the ridiculous requirements and nonsense going around in public education today, if I had kids I would strongly consider private school. I don't blame them!

24. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Oct 11, 2012

My youngest son is in private school and my older two children also attended private school, but my daughter switched to the public school in 5th grade.

In our situation, we made the choice for a couple reasons but none of those reasons were because of ineffective teaching on the public school level. I actually did some of my field work at the public school where my daughter attended.

They started at private because a very dear family friend was the kindergarten teacher there, and we just made the choice to keep them there. When my daughter asked to go to the public school to be with her friends, we let her.

My youngest son is very happy where he is, as was my oldest son, so I let them decide. They would be and are as academically prepared and challenged regardless of which choice we made.

I don't feel that it sends a message that I have issues with public schools because my kids are in private. It is just a choice that worked for our situation.

25. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Oct 11, 2012

I will say this about private school; I am friends with most of the teachers at my son's school. They have a lot less stress without dealing with NJASK testing and other state mandates than many in the public sector do. They also have a bit more teaching freedom and seem happier than a lot of my public school teacher friends.

As for me, once I am finished student teaching, I will work wherever I can find a good fit for me. And it could just as easily be private as public, because teaching is not about the money to me.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2012

Nor is it for many of us. However, being paid a professional wage for the work we do, commensurate with our education and experience, is reasonable, respectful and right. There are teachers on the forums who have trouble making ends meet on their paycheck.:(

27. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Oct 11, 2012

I seem to be striking a nerve with you tonight. I apologize. My money comment was never meant to infer that anyone on this board was solely in it for the money. I was only speaking for myself, because of the difference in salaries between private and public sectors. I have many friends and family members that are teachers, and I know very well how difficult making ends meet can be.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2012

No nerve struck. Just know that many here LOVE their jobs and aren't in it for the money but struggle financially...and that's a travesty.

29. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Oct 11, 2012

I teach in public school, and my kids go to a local private (Friends) school. We did it for lots of different reasons. Sometimes I feel a little bit guilty about it... but at this time, with all the pressures in public schools (class size, standards, testing, etc. etc.) I love the fact that my kids go to a small school, where it is such a community... where teachers are allowed to be more creative with their curriculum.

I also like that they talk about holidays, and peace, and environmental stewardship...

There's tons of things I love about the school I work in, and I work with and know so many amazing public school teachers... but the environment of the small private school is so much different... less institutionalized... and I love that my kids spend their days there.

30. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2012

Truthishly, I kind of understand the mentality that a school administrator sending his kids to private school "looks bad". Even so, it's nobody's business where anyone sends their kids.

I don't have kids. If I did, and if I had the money, I wouldn't hesitate to send them to private school. I've seen enough at my own public school to know that private school would be a better choice for my family.

31. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2012

There is a non-religious private school where I would send my kid (if I had one) to in a heartbeat. I agree with their teaching philosophy, the way they run their school, their focus, etc. This is my second year tutoring students who attend this school and I love it.