Public school supply lists vs. daycare lists

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 6, 2011

Does anyone have a child in daycare/preschool with a longer list than your students? I hate that parents have to purchase so many things for school, but they are necessary items. My child received a daycare supply list that may total $50 or more...does this sound extreme? I must buy 2 reams of copy paper, sticky notes, sharpies, batteries, outside toy, 2 pkg. paper plates, and it goes on and on and on. It just seems like the things I ask parents to bring are directly used in their child's education...which is a free public education. I PAY this business to care for my child, and I am being asked to supply things that I feel are "business expenses" and that they should not be asking me to provide. What do you think??

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2011

I really don't know about what is typical at day care but I do think that is totally out of line. Around here, teachers don't even pass out supply lists so I don't think the day care list would fly. Most of that list isn't for the kids at all.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2011

I think I would use that argument to refuse to fund the daycare's business expenses. That's outrageous. Maybe instead you could offer to help increase the classroom library or buy some nice learning toys for the children? You would be paying as much money as you would have with the previous list, but you would be providing educational things, not office supplies.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2011

Our daycares do not ask for supplies from the parents. We are already paying over $200 a week....

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 6, 2011

The only item that my nephew has to bring when he goes to Daycare is a blanket and he has to bring it home to be washed or bring in a new one twice a week. They have not asked for anything else!

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 6, 2011

When I taught pre-K, we asked them to bring an extra change of clothes (or two if they were accident prone) and a pillow and blanket for nap time. They were also responsible for bringing their own lunch. All materials, supplies, etc. were provided by the school as the parents were spending a lot of money.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 6, 2011

When I was in daycare preschool, the only things we asked parents to bring was nap items (washed weekly) and spare clothes. Everything else came out of what they were already paying in tuition.

My list for PreK is, essentially,
    -backpack
    -spare clothes
    -diapers and wipes if needed
    -2 boxes of Kleenex
    -1 roll paper towels
    -1 package of wipes
    - pkg of cups (maybe... depends if the program decides to buy us a bunch again or not)

I prefer to get the other things (scissors, glue, crayons, markers, etc) myself because then I know it's the quality and type I'm looking for. I either buy on sale over the summer and turn in receipts (sometimes...) or order them.

9. america82099

america82099 Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

Does sound a little extreme to me. Batteries, really? I think I would want to discuss the contents of the list with them.

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2011

As a business, it appears they are not charging enough for their service to pay for the delivery of that service.

It would be far more efficient to simply tack on an extra $5 a month to their fees. They would then be able to order supplies in bulk and either turn a larger profit or pass on the saving to the customers.

In other words, if each parent is spending $50 on these things, the school could probably order all of them for $25 per student.

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2011

I have had three kids go through daycare, and never were they asked to bring any supplies. Copy paper is a business expense. They charge you tuition that is (supposedly) going to cover the expense of caring for/educating your child. To me, it would be different if you were asked to supply items for your own child's use (such as a blanket or a set of lunch dishes) but that list seems to be funding the daycare's operating expenses.

My last child's daycare did have a $15 per year supply fee per child. It was part of what you paid in June to reserve your spot in September. But I never had to send in actual THINGS. I'd balk at that list and ask the director for some explanation.

12. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 6, 2011

My son has been in daycare most of his life (he's 3 1/2) and we have NEVER had to bring in supplies. At the first daycare, they had you pay a supply fee - I think it was $75 a year. At this daycare, we don't pay anything extra. It's $90/week for him and everything is provided. He has to have a change of clothes and a bottle of sunscreen in his cubby - and the infants have to bring their own diapers and formula - but that's it.

They do ask for donations if you have any toys or books you're not using, and this week they asked if anyone had any extra stickers - but nothing is EVER mandatory and it's nothing costly.

13. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 6, 2011

I teach at a private preschool with extended hours to meet the needs of "daycare" hours. We do not send out a supply list, but parents are required to pay a registration fee per semester (Fall/Spring).

14. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Aug 6, 2011

yep

at our old daycare i had to pay $25/kid every 3 months

at our new daycare she gave me a list but it was stuff i knew they would be using in the rooms, crayons, shaving cream, wipes, etc so i just waited for bts sales and got the rest at dollar tree...this was way cheaper

15. jd019

jd019 Companion

Aug 6, 2011

I have to pay a $25 a yr art supply fee at my son's day care.

16. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 6, 2011

Same here --the only thing we are required to provide are sunscreen, extra change of clothes, and their lunch.

17. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Aug 6, 2011

We were paying $200 a week too and were never asked for any supplies/annual fee. The only things that we had to bring in were a blanket, pillow, and a stuffed animal if the child wished. Lunch and diapers were provided there.