public school preschool

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by treysmom, Oct 6, 2003.

1. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Oct 6, 2003

I have been teaching kindergarten for 23 of my 25 years in education. I live in a very rural area; we are limited to three church preschools, Headstart, Hippy and an organization who works with young on speech, etc. My question is about public school preschool. Is there a link that could document success? I have talked to my principal about the need. While many of our children do go to preschool, we have many who have not. It has gotten to the point that kindergarten teachers are having to teach preschool skills, kindergarten skills and first grade skills-all in one year. I would be very interested in hearing from those who do have a preschool in their public school. My principal told me to research this and get back to him. Thanks!

3. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Oct 7, 2003

We do have a public pre-school in my school. I teach in a low economic area and it makes a significant difference, because many of our children wouldn't be exposed to pre-k skills otherwise. It is sad when you get children who have never had crayons, books, etc. I don't think it matters whether the preschool is public or private as long as it is a true preschool and not daycare. So many of our private pre-schools are truly daycare programs--it is just child care and not teaching of any skills. A good program would be divided into age appropriate levels and have an actual pre-k curriculum. Personally I like the curriculums that are play based instead of worksheet driven (I used High Scope--although I'm ESE Pre-K--which is mandated as part of the elementary school population).