Public or Private for own child?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by RMM, Dec 31, 2007.

1. RMM

RMM Rookie

Dec 31, 2007

I teach in public school and went to public school myself but really want to keep my daughter in private school for kindergarten. She currently is in 4K at a great school that I taught at several years ago. I want her to stay there!!! My daughter, however, desperately wants to come with me to my school for kindergarten next year.

My reasoning is that in public she'll be in a class of about 24 kids with one teacher and an aide for only 1 hour a day. In private, she'll be in a class of about 14 with a teacher and full time aide.

Also, I plan on having another baby soon and don't think she'll be able to go to this public school for more than a year anyway.

What should I do???

- RMM

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 31, 2007

I've had my daughter in private school since kindergarten for several reasons. She's in 7th grade now, and I plan on keeping her in private school until she graduates.

1. Small classes. The elementary schools around here all have 700-900 students. My daughter's elementary had 300, k-6. The largest class she ever had was 18.

2. P.E. and recess every day.

3. Field trips: 1 per nine weeks, at least, every year. There's only 1 field trip *total* (k-5) in the neighborhood district.

4. No state assessment. I didn't want my daughter thinking the be-all end-all to her education was the TAKS test.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2007

I don't have kids (yet?), but I suspect I'd lean towards public school. Mostly I like a lot of the special magnet programs offered at Vegas public schools. Also, private schools would be cost prohibitive for our family, I think.

5. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Dec 31, 2007

I teach in a private Christian school. We have lots of students whose parents work in the public school systems in some capacity.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2007

I teach in private school and my children attend private school. Most of my friends teach in public schools but their children go to private schools. I do not know what I would do if the public schools in my area were decent. It is a shame that anybody around where I live who can afford private schools send their children to private schools.

7. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Dec 31, 2007

I'm planning on sending my kids to private school also. I went to private school, and in my experience (although I'm sure this is not always the case) I wasn't exposed to some of the behaviors and language that are more prevalent in some public schools. Public school definitely offers more extracurriculars, but with your children being so young, that won't matter. Good luck and I say just go with your gut!

8. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2008

It all depends on where we live. Right now we live in a great neighborhood, but the schools are not great. If we live here when kids come along, private school is a MUST! If we live in a better district, they will go to public school.

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2008

Putting your kids in private schools isn't always about an indictment against public education. Whatever is best for your child and your family is all you need to think about. Sounds like she's better off where she is. I have a friend who teaches with me (public school) who put her daughter in a private school for the middle school years. The girl is pudgy, very very intelligent, very tall, and has a tendancy to look down her nose at other girls. Her mother knows she'll be miserable at our very good middle school. So far, it's been an excellent fit. Her son, however, will fit right in when he's ready for middle school.

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 1, 2008

I voted for public for my children. My school in my area is wonderful. The private around me do not have certified teachers, high turnover, and limited extra curriculum activities. My daughters class in public is 19 students, she gets p.e. and music everyday, she has a resource room for creative play she visits daily, she gets computer instruction twice a week, library weekly, and has special reading classes available. She can also go to after school tutoring free of charge, but who would send a kindergartner?

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2008

If I had children, I would also, with no doubt, have my child in private school.

12. RMM

RMM Rookie

Jan 2, 2008

Wow! It is interesting that so many public school teachers vote for private school. When I go back to work next week, I'm going to try to find out as much as I can about the kindergarten progam at my school so I can be fair in my decision. (But, I still think I'll lean towards private.) At my school kinder gets out an hour earlier, so she'd have to sit in the cafeteria in an after school program. I've gone in there and all they really seem to do is sit. At her school now, there's a nice daycare attached that keeps them busy with art projects and playtime outside.
    You see what I'm leaning to, right?

13. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Jan 2, 2008

I teach at a private school, but lots of the parents at our school are public school teachers. I went to public school as a child, but when I have children, I think I'd prefer private schools.

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 2, 2008

There's a question behind the question, I think... "Why aren't public schools good enough for the teacher's own child?" At least that one keeps peeking it's head out to me.

15. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2008

In My Opinion...

You do need to remember that not only do my children go to private school but I teach in a private school. For my husband and I, it was not necessarily the education but the similar values that sent our children to private school. We are catholic and my children attend catholic schools. I like that they go to mass as a school, pray every morning as a school, and that our religious values are also taught along with educational subjects. The public schools in my area are very political and sports oriented and my children probably would not have been able to play but are able to make the private school teams. This is what is best for my children and so that is where they go to school.

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 2, 2008

The religious aspect of the choice makes perfect sense to me.... a family values decision.

I'm not trying to be judgemental, and I apologize for coming off that way if I did. It's just the question that comes up for me.

17. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2008

You were not Judgemental

I often wonder about this also. I did teach a year in a public school and realized that the politics (in my area) were not worth dealing with. I also teach in a unique situation because I work in a private school but my pay is more than if I worked in a public school in the area. I do have many friends that teach in public schools but their children attend private school and with most, their children would not be able to attend the school that they teach in because they live in one parish (county) and teach in another.

18. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jan 2, 2008

Not being judgmental either but I'm just curious:

I'm just wondering where everyone is getting the money for all these private schools?

I don't have children yet, but I always figured public school was good enough for me so it is good enough for when I have kids. Maybe my thoughts will change when I have children, but I don't see how I'd afford private.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 2, 2008

I only want to teach in a developmental, constructivist alternative public school. As such, I often feel like I'm saying, inadvertantly, to my friends who have kids in the traditional public schools that their "kind of school" isn't good enough for me and my kids. I don't mean it that way!

20. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2008

I will answer this..

I don't know about everyone else but we could definately not do it without both of us working. My husband is an IT manager but I pretty much work to pay the tuition for my kids. We are very lucky that since I am an only child and my mom (who is also a teacher) stayed home with me until I went to school and they wanted me to be able to do the same thing. They paid the tuition for my older kids until my youngest was in kindergarten and then I went back to work. In 3 years (my youngest just started high school) I will actually work to make money and not pay tuition. :2up:

21. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 2, 2008

Chemteach, same here. Husband is in IT, so that helps, but we still live in a much smaller home than our peers, and we don't take a lot of vacations and such. My daughter's tuition is about $1,000 a month. She's only in the 7th grade, so we still have 5 more years to go. The way we see it, though, is that college will probably be cheaper! LOL! And if it's not, at least we'll already be used to paying it.

22. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jan 2, 2008

In my small town the only private schools are very expensive and very, very conservative. As a freshman, DS did try a small, self paced one for a semester but the curriculum was not very good at all. The largest one is run by the church I attended as a child. I left the church when I was 18 and the minister said from the pulpit "I bought my son a car when he was 16 but I will never buy my daughter a car because girls should stay home and learn to take care of home and family" that goes against my personal beliefs and values.

I have nothing against private schools but how would I respond to a parent of one of my students if they asked why my school was not good enough for my child?

23. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2008

We are lucky with college...

College is much cheaper in Louisiana. Louisiana has TOPS so I only paid $800 for my oldest daughter to attend LSU last semester. We pay $1500 a month for the two that are still in high school.

24. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jan 2, 2008

You just hit the nail on the head. If I work in a public school, why would I send my child to a private school? The pay is the one of the main reasons I'm assuming that people don't work in private schools......

25. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2008

Since I teach in private schools, that is where my kids go. I have a fellow teacher in my school whose children attend public school and all we ever hear is how much better they are at their public school. One day someone finally asked if their school is so much better, then why is she teaching in private school. Her answer was that she would have to start at the bottom because honors classes, AP, etc. were "political" positions. Her children are in these types of classes but she would not want to have to deal with the discipline issues in a regular class so she went to private school where we have very few issues with discipline. I did teach in public school while my children were in private school and was asked that question many times. I always answered that I wanted to see how the school worked out for me before I move my children from a school that they were already completely settled into.

26. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2008

It depends on the child, and where we live. Here, the private schools are not that great.

27. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2008

I'd keep her just where she's at.

28. RMM

RMM Rookie

Jan 3, 2008

For me the main concern is that the public school I teach at packs the kindergarten classes too full. Plus, all 5 kindergarten classes at my school share one aide who is pulled out for various duties throughout the day. The teacher is on her own with up to 25 kindergarteners for the majority of the day and only has an aide in her room for about an hour a day. (Is this how it is elsewhere?) In the private school I'm looking at for my daughter, the max in a kindergarten class is 15 students with a teacher and full time aide in the room.
    I also like the fact that my daughter spends the first 15 minutes of her day in chapel in song and prayer.

- RMM

29. RMM

RMM Rookie

Jan 3, 2008

It is expensive, but we're used to it now after 2 years of pre-school! We've learned to live without the extra $600 a month!:)

- RMM

30. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jan 3, 2008

When we do have children, and they become school age, I would prefer to send them to a private school; however, I do not see why I should have to spend 15k for a good private school. SO...they would have to go to public school.

I'd like to have my children attend the school at which I work. If I didn't work at a very good school, then I would drive my children to another school....Hopefully, it won't be far away.

31. iSaint

iSaint Rookie

Jan 3, 2008

Sadly, the largest private school in my hometown was started when desegregation was put in place. I see no reason for my kids (14 & 8) to go there even though the public schools are only 10% caucasian. The public schools boast the 50 best ACT scores. There are far more opportunities, academically and athletically, in the public schools for all students. There are also about a dozen other small, private schools in competition. There's no way any of these schools can compete with the level of quality teachers and programs offered at a public school.

I recently read a report that stated the most important factor in students successes is whether their parents are involved in their lives. Poverty was the number two factor. It also found that the choice of public or private school for their children had no major effect on their education.

Google search on this study

32. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2008

I do have to disagree with some of what you are saying. I live in a state where we are usually ranked last (or very near it) in education. Out of the top 5 high schools in my area (educationally--based on ACT scores) 4 are private. We compete very well with both the teacher quality and the programs that are offered in area public schools. Teacher quality is great because 1) we make more money than our public school counterparts and 2) we have little to no discipline problems. The discipline is because we do not have to keep any student. If they do something against school rules, we do not have to have them in school. They are regularly reminded that they are a _______________ School student 24/7. I am not saying this is the case eveywhere but there are many private schools competing very well with the public schools.

33. iSaint

iSaint Rookie

Jan 3, 2008

I'm in Mississippi. We're the ones that are just below you! ;)

I was just trying to point out that parental involvement is important in a child's education, and the choice of private vs. public didn't matter as much if the parents were involved. I realize now that I was bashing private schools a bit. The options where I live aren't the best. But, there are large private schools in bigger cities that I would love to send my kids to...and where I would like to teach; and I mean I could teach because I wouldn't have the discipline problems to contend with!

34. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

Jan 3, 2008

I also teach at the private school that my daughter attends. She has been there since preschool and when I graduated with my BA I started working there. Our choice was based on lots of things. First we wanted a school that leans towards our values (CHristian). Our school does not teach Bible, but we are allowed to bring God into our teachings and discussions. Second, the class sizes are small. Major bonus because everyone gets one on one help and attention. THirdly, I love the relationships in the school. Everyone is so close and supportive. It is like an extended family for both myself and my daughter. But most importantly my daughter enjoys her school. I think that you need to choose what you think will benefit your child the best. You know your child better than anyone. Consider that and you may have an easier time deciding. P.S. The one thing I struggle with is the lack of resources. If my daughter did attend public schools, she would attend one of the best districts in Michigan. Both public and private have their "pluses and minuses". Good Luck:)

35. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jan 3, 2008

I teach 1st grade in a public school, my daughter goes to kinder at a private school. There are 16 kids in her class. She has a dedicated music teacher and a dedicated PE teacher. The private school provides many things for my kid that a public school can't. We pay for it and believe that is is what's best for her.

36. iSaint

iSaint Rookie

Jan 4, 2008

That's all that matters in the long run! :)