Public? Charter? Private?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by mathandbugs, May 21, 2019.

1. mathandbugs

mathandbugs New Member

May 21, 2019

Hello!

I currently work at a charter school. I've worked here since mid-year and there have been a multitude of challenges (behavior, admin, etc). I am a newer teacher but I have an offering from a Private School for a physics teacher position (my preferred subject) while I am currently teaching as a math teacher.

What are the cons/pros of private versus charter/public?

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 21, 2019

Private schools typically pay less than public schools do. That being said, if you play your cards right then you can negotiate to receive a competitive wage, especially if your intended field is harder to fill like physics and math are.

Private schools do things differently than their public school counterparts in some ways, but are still held to the same educational standards. You have more autonomy in your own classroom, for example.

Speaking as a private teacher and newly hired administrator, I receive a nice salary ($67,000 this year as a fifth-year and next year I will be making $85,000), but my school is located in an affluent/middle-class area and so wages are higher than in surrounding areas. Really, you should scope out the school and ask if the private school has a salary schedule so that you can get an idea. Don’t settle for less and go get ‘em!

4. mathandbugs

mathandbugs New Member

May 21, 2019

Thank you for your response! I am excited to have the opportunity to look at the school and figure out if it is a good fit for me. I'm in a very expensive area so I imagine the salary will be competitive (or at least, I'm hoping it will be!) I will need to balance out the pros and cons as my current school is helping me to pay for my education.

I am worried that private school will be more intense than teaching at a charter but I have no experience dwith private schools so I am just feeling out the waters.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 21, 2019

I would only seek out employment at an established private school with a proven track record. And there is no question that I work really hard at my school, but it’s good to have higher expectations placed on me because I am an expert at my craft and my students are expected to do well. It makes perfect sense.