Psychologist vs. Counselor (at elem. sites)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jan 29, 2017.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 29, 2017

This is for my elementary folks:

What's the role of the school counselor and school psychologist at your site?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 29, 2017

We have a school counselor. She teaches guidance lessons to every class once every other week. She sees small groups or individuals on an as needed basis. She coordinates all testing. She handles DHS things (teachers make calls if necessary, but I know our counselor handles a bunch of things I never know about).

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 29, 2017

Our counselor meets with groups and individual students, mostly through teacher referral. Some of the individual students are regular visitors, some are there for special circumstances or once in awhile. She also assists us, the teachers, in all things social/emotional. She'll come in and work with classes if needed as well. She is part of the SST process for all students needing behavioral support.

We don't have a psych just for our site - we share her with several other schools. As far as I've seen, she's really only around to do testing for special education students. She also comes around when students are having severe behaviors as part of the team working on observing and potentially creating a behavior plan. Honestly, though, she's not around much. That could have to do with the fact that we have a relatively small population of students on IEPs.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 29, 2017

Wow. I'm shocked that counselors also handle testing! Here in my district, the VP (me!) handles all testing. It's interesting to me how things vary so greatly from district-to-district.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 29, 2017

I could've written this myself.

You'll notice that when I quoted you, I deleted your last sentence. We have a TON of kids on IEPs here!

7. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jan 29, 2017

Our counselor meets with students and also handles some aspects of the scheduling for state testing. The psych is responsible for seeing to the administration of all testing related to IEPs and 504 Plans.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 29, 2017

Yeah... I'm applying to move elsewhere next year. Waiting on a couple letters right now. I want to go low income again badly.

But that's off topic. I guess California schools must be similar with the counselor/psych thing. We have a WONDERFUL counselor. To be honest, I know next to nothing about the psych, since she just shows up when my kids with IEPs need testing. (I have all the IEPs in my grade level.)

As for scheduling testing, we have a TOSA who does that as part of her job.

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 29, 2017

This is exactly our set up as well, except our psychologists are shared between so many schools that we don't see them often.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 30, 2017

I know you didn't ask about high school, but I just wanted to say, we have a counseling department with at least 4 counselors, that handle our school, juvenile hall and one of our other schools. They're only responsible for testing and transcripts, enrolling, making sure we have records, and graduation, diplomas, etc.

Our psychologist is the one that actually interacts with students (nothing testing related) but we're all sharing her, so each school has her about a day and a half / week.

11. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jan 30, 2017

Our guidance counselor teaches guidance lessons to K-5 each week, handles all 504 meetings, meets with individuals and groups of students per teacher requests, and coordinates state testing.

Our psychologist serves as diagnostician for special education and only does testing.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2017

No counselor at the elementary level. We do have Child and Youth Workers assigned to schools who work with some of our most vulnerable students. Psychologists serve many schools--ours is assigned to our building 1/2 day each week. She does psychological testing and meets with parents and teachers to share testing results and make programming recommendations. In a crisis situation, the board has a bank of counselors and psychologists that can come out to consult at a school.

13. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jan 30, 2017

This is a bit more broad than just at my site, but I've noticed the role of school psychologists changing over the years, in some locations. Since IDEIA in 2004, there has been a bigger emphasis on problem-solving beyond SPED testing, largely through the introduction of RtI. In some sites, school psychologists are working at the building, classroom, and individual level assessing and planning interventions. At other sites, they're still largely stuck in the "test and place" model.

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 30, 2017

We have a full time school psych and 2 full time counselors. We have A LOT of severe behavior issues at my school, so our admin elected to use some of our title 1 money for more counselors rather than more interventionists.

School Psych's Role:
    -Cognitive and social/emotional testing when necessary for SPED evaluations
    -"Director Designee" at IEP meetings (in a previous school, an admin did this)
    -SPED team leader- in charge of our weekly team meetings, keeping the caseload list up to date, and double checking all of our paperwork for compliance
    -Meeting mental health IEP minutes
    -Permanent member of the MTSS (RtI) team
    -Responds to severe behavior situations
    -Helps teachers develop behavior plans
    -Runs Check in/Check out

Counselor 1:
    -The "first responder" in a crisis/severe behavior situation (these situations are happening all day, every day at my school). Handles students who need to be removed from the classroom or provides on the spot/in class intervention for a student who is escalated.
    -Attends MTSS meetings when the main concern being discussed is behavior
    -Helps develop behavior plans
    -Runs behavior interventions that take place outside of the classroom
    -Writes/manages 504 plans

Counselor 2:
    -Goes into classrooms once per week to teach the lesson from our social/emotional curriculum
    -Runs "tier 2" counseling groups like friendship groups (if a student ends up on an IEP, they start meeting with the school psych instead).
    -Is "next in line" to respond to a crisis/severe behavior situation if psych, counselor 1, and admins are not available.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2017

Our elementary campuses have social workers that meet with students either individually or in groups. Our psychologist is contract and is housed in the special education department at administration. He does emotional disturbance and autism testing. He also meets with high school students every so often.

16. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Feb 1, 2017

We have both a counselor and a psychologist.
    Our counselor teachers lessons about behavior, handling emotions, manners, being supportive, etc. to each class on a rotating schedule. They also pull small groups or one on one when students need more support. They handle 504 plans and also work with our social worker to make referrals for students in need of more counseling than we are able to provide.

Our psychologist does all of our testing for students to determine special ed eligibility. She also works on our child support team and manages our RTI program.

17. TheGr8Catsby

TheGr8Catsby Rookie

Feb 7, 2017

Guidance Counselor: Do zero guidance counseling because you're working on testing 100% of the time.

Psychologist: Be booked for the year by September 1.