psst...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Emerson Squirl, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Mar 1, 2011

I've been noticing more students are passing notes during class. Since I teach 4th I kinda expected it to happen eventually, but I'm not sure how to handle it. On the one hand, I see it kinda as a developmental way for them to negotiate "4th grader" things (she won't be my friend if I hang out with Ashley, I don't want to work on the science project with you because I don't agree with how you want to do it, etc.), but on the other hand, I have no way of knowing if there is bullying going on inside a note. Frequently I am interrupted by a student who is looking for help on dealing with one issue or another which takes my time and attention away from whatever I was doing. Lately a few girls have been having what are in their minds big issues with each other. If I let them talk it out quietly during school time they would accomplish nothing else. So, to avoid this being just a vent post, what do you all a to z-er's think about the topic?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2011

While I understand the importance of needing to work out social and peer issues, I don't think that stuff should be happening during class. I'd confiscate the notes and let students know that that's not acceptable during class time.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2011

Here's what you do.

Take the note. Get out your red pen. Mark all spelling and grammar errors.

Return it.

5. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Mar 1, 2011

Totally agree. I read it to make sure it doesn't require my involvement, and throw it in the trash can. If it happens repeatedly, I would call home. Thankfully, my fourth graders this year are not passing notes! Last year, I had some doozies.

6. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Mar 1, 2011

When I catch them passing notes, I take the note and let them know it will be placed in their file. I also explain that when their parents come in for conferences and ask me why grades are going down I can pull the notes out and let them know that "other distractions" may be the reason :) This usually curbs it once you catch it a couple of times.

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2011

I have had this issue at times, only once this year though. There have been some times when I have read the notes outloud in class, other times I take them read them and address the issue myself later. Again, this is something to me that depends on the student and the issue in the note.

8. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Mar 1, 2011

My kids are starting to pass notes too. I usually just take them, read them, give a "look," then throw them away. I have found recently, some of my students are writing notes about themselves. Like "so & so is a loser" and I know their handwriting and so and so is the one doing the writing. So weird.

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2011

I wish my 4th graders would start passing notes instead of shouting at each other from across the room. Sorry I'm no help! lol

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2011

I take them and file them in their folder if I can. I read them to make sure that there isn't something else I need to follow up on.

If you want to give them time to talk about issues, maybe try having a morning meeting or an extra recess that focuses on social skills. You could have a "tattle box" of some type or try the bucket filler program....

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 3, 2011

I like this idea! Also, from now on at the beginning of the year when you get a new class & are going over the rules, procedures, etc., how about warning them up front that not only will the note be placed in their file where their parents will possibly read it, but you'll read the note out loud in class. The embarrassment should make them not want to do it in the first place right?