Provisional Teachers in Central VA?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by puppermum, Jun 6, 2018.

1. puppermum

puppermum New Member

Jun 6, 2018

I am new here, so please forgive if this is something that has already come up 2000 times...I am wondering if anyone has experience as a teacher with a provisional license for elem school. I will be eligible early August and will start applying to schools then. Seems last minute but that's just how the timing worked. I was going to go to grad school for education but have decided that is not the best route for me at the moment. I am switching careers, just about to turn 40, and have been wanting to do this for a VERY long time. I'm in Richmond btw and would look to teach in the city and surrounding counties. Just not sure who/how many actually hire provisional? Hopefully not just reserved for the schools no one else wants to teach in...? Thanks for input!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 6, 2018

You will increase your chances for a position if you have passed the required Praxis II content exams for your desired/eligible content area. Do you not meet the Career Switcher Program criteria? Just curious. Of course, you will need to pass the VCLA, but you may have more leeway passing that than the content area tests.

4. puppermum

puppermum New Member

Jun 7, 2018

luckily the assessment exams, VCLA, reading and praxis can be taken during the 3 year provisional period. I will be eligible for provisional in August and will get a statement of eligibility later in the summer. I considered the career switcher program but decided against it for a variety of reasons. I am more curious about the experiences of teachers with provisional licenses in elem schools, experiences relating to Richmond if possible, experience with the hiring process of provisional teachers, etc. Thank you.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 7, 2018

Although not in Virginia (although my son teaches there), I am extremely well versed about AR and some of the ins and outs. FYI, saying you have three years to pass you Praxis exams and preferring to hire someone who has already proven they can pass the required Praxis exams are factors that have, indeed, been discussed on this forum before. Passing the exams shows that you are truly invested - saying "I have three years to do that stuff" implies that this could just be a whim, and you will bail if the going gets tough. Just my opinion, of course, but I have witnessed a lot of teacher hires and dismissals.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. puppermum

puppermum New Member

Jun 7, 2018

Correct, and I agree. That's why exams are scheduled, eligibility will be met in August, and in terms of professional development requirements I have already met 12 of the 18 credits required so I am on my way. Thank you for your input on exams. I will do another search of "provisional" on this forum to see for additional information regarding the experience questions I had.

7. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Jun 7, 2018

I am in the Richmond area and got hired with a provisional license but in Sped. You will have a better chance getting hired August - October I would say because schools will be most in need of a teacher now then. You will probably have the best chance in Richmond, Petersburg, Hopewell, and the Eaat end of Henrico. Those area typically have vacancies throughout the school year. The other counties may have a few vacancies during the year but they are more sporadic and are typically filled quickly or in hard to fill certification areas.

puppermum likes this.
  8. puppermum

puppermum New Member

Jun 7, 2018

@Kelster95 That's helpful, thanks! Mind if I ask how long it took you to find a teaching job once you began applying? I did recently hear that Aug/Sept would be about the time they look to fill vacancies with possible provisional folks if they haven't filled with certified.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 7, 2018

Keep in mind that of almost all certifications, Elem. Ed. if the most competitive, with the highest saturation of applicants.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Jun 8, 2018

I was hired fairly quickly, but my provisional was Sped. I do know people who were hired with provisionals in saturated fields like elementary ed and English too though. You shouldn’t have too hard of a time if you are willing to gain experience at one of the districts I mentioned above. Luckily in the Richmond area even our not so great areas aren’t bad to teach in.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 9, 2018

If you want to get hired in a Title I school (and that's going to be your best bet to find a job), you'll want to take the Praxis now, even though you don't technically "need" to for three years. I teach in Fairfax... Title I schools in the district are flat-out not allowed to hire teachers (or even long-term subs) without a Praxis unless they have three years experience. I'm not sure if that's a state-wide thing or a district thing, but either way, it'll cause you less headaches to just get it out of the way now.

vickilyn and futuremathsprof like this.