Provincetown to give condoms to elementary school kids...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yarnwoman, Jun 24, 2010.

1. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 24, 2010

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2010

Apparently I can only use twenty emoticons in one message...and not the eighty sad faces I tried to post. So instead, here's one big one:

[​IMG]

And I just want my school to supply pencils...

4. JoshCHT

JoshCHT Rookie

Jun 24, 2010

High school and college aged people should have access to condoms.

But elementary kids.....no.

Maybe its to get them use to the idea of condoms in the hopes that they will use them and be responsible when they are older. :confused:

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 24, 2010

My principal was telling me that a student came up to him after recess with her hand closed in a fist... she said "look what I found on the playground!" and dropped it right in his hand.

Yup... a condom.

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 24, 2010

Wha?? The lady on the video said it was available to 1st graders because they don't want to make it overly interesting by giving only to the older elementary kids. 6th grade - seems like the bleeding edge of sexual activity, or maybe I'm living in yesteryear.

If a little one knows to ask for a condom, they must really need it. Hopefully no one that little needs a condom!

7. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 24, 2010

So ridiculous! I would think this violates a parents right by limiting them on what they can or cannot do with this! If a child, especially a 1st grader, is asking to have a condom, I would think the proper authorities should be contacted as this could be a case of sexual abuse!

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2010

i wish they gave them out at my school! (I'm only half jesting) One of my 10 year old students got pregnant one year...by her father!

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2010

I was just discussing this with my husband. There are many facets to this story I could discuss, but I'll choose just one for now. How often do you hear educators complain that we are expected to parent more and more? I hear it often. So it makes no sense to me, if we're going to find fault in having to play the role of parent in so many ways, to voluntarily take to giving students condoms and not allowing parents any say in the matter whatsoever. I think the school has crossed a line and is stepping all over the parents' territory.

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 24, 2010

Absolutely, JustMe! I think this should be done on a case by case basis. For that woman to say she doesn't want to "leave out" or "focus" on one group of children is opening up Pandora's Box in my opinion.

11. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 24, 2010

I am so totally shocked that I don't even know what to say!!! This is inappropriate in so many ways!!!

12. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 24, 2010

Disgusting. :|

13. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jun 24, 2010

In elementary school?! Seriously?! This is sooooo wrong.

What sort of a message does this send to elementary age students? We tell you not to have s*x, but we're going to provide a condom for you to do it safely (just in case) AND we're not going to tell your parents - don't worry no one will ever know! This is not okay. What a horrible mixed moral message to send to elementary age students.

The fact that parents can't opt out or request to know if any are given out to their child is ridiculous. Who should ultimately be in charge of decisions for a child? Their parent, not the school. In my school, we have to give parents the option to opt out of our version of "the talk." And we only talk about the physical and emotional changes that will happen in your body!

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2010

Same here.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 24, 2010

On the San Antonio news, they said the school was going to revisit this policy.

I sure hope so.

16. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 24, 2010

"DEAR LORD,
    HOW IS IT THAT ADMINISTRATORS OR WHOEVER THOUGHT THIS HAIRBRAINED ABSURD UNBELIEVABLY IDIOTIC (take your pick) IDEA UP, HAS A JOB IN EDUCATION, SHAPING THE LIVES OF LITTLE KIDS, WHILE I CAN'T GET A SNIFF?

YOURS HUMBLY, JOHN LEE"

17. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 24, 2010

I agree, I would love if we just got enough supplies to do our job!

18. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 24, 2010

I had a middle school student leave one in my classroom once.:eek:

19. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 24, 2010

I could not believe it either. I had to watch the video to see if I misread the title.

20. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2010

That makes me incredibly sad.

21. hac711

hac711 Companion

Jun 24, 2010

to swansong-OMG...there are not enough words in the English language to express what I felt when I read that...I hope her father went to jail and that she went through proper channels to handle her situation??

This is horrible...do 1st graders need to know about sex??? My first graders think girls are the most disgusting things on the planet and throw things at them...what do you say to a first grader?? when you get bigger you are going to want to stick your penis in a girl so wear one of these??? Sorry for being so graphic, but i don't understand the mentality of that place. We are ROBBING are children of their innocent years...

22. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 24, 2010

Isn't it illegal for kids to have sex? I feel like I've seen many a Law and Order SVU where kids had sex with other kids and they were charged with crimes, regardless of how young they both were... where's 3Sons?

23. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jun 24, 2010

It varies from state to state. In some states, it is not illegal if the minors are within 3 yrs of age from each other. But again it depends state to state.

This breaks it down from state to state.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America#United_States

24. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 24, 2010

WTH!!!!!!!!!!!

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 24, 2010

If I first grader wants a condom then they better be getting that child to a counselor because something isn't right in the child's life. First thing that would pop into my head is abuse.

I can understand giving them to 7th to 12th graders.

Of course my first thought when I saw this thread was "Leave it to P-town to do something like this".

26. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jun 24, 2010

I remember the days when we got free whistles and rulers.... really, what is happening to our country?

27. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 25, 2010

I saw this story on the news tonight. It's gaining some real momentum so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't go through. The Sup said she would rather parents tell their kids, " You are not allowed to have sex." other than "You are not allowed to have a condom." Tha makes stupid sense to me. And not a valid argument to back up this insane policy. I completely disagree with taking away rights from parents. Even if the parent forbids the child, there's nothing they can really no. There is going to be no paper trail because no student names will be written down. (Didn't read what was written in the link-so this may be a repeat of information.)

28. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2010

One of the citizens of the town said something about the kids would just use them for water balloons.

It's idiots like this super that make legislators think they should be in charge of education.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2010

:D Funny.

30. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 25, 2010

Completely ridiculous! I agree with a PP, if a first grader comes asking for a condom, something is VERY wrong! I would suspect abuse as well.

31. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2010

Maya's right, it varies by state.

I'm a bit surprised by the lack of any opt-out, though. One can generally opt their children out of particular lessons for religious reasons -- so, would they allow the opt-out of the lesson but not actually receiving a condom?

I'm about as liberal with giving information to my kids as they come, and even I didn't get into the plumbing details with my first grader (I spoke to my oldest about it this year, and his reaction was simply, "That's disgusting. Why would anyone ever want to do that??" :lol:)

It seems like a pretty stupid idea, on the whole.

32. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 25, 2010

Yes, I'm wondering if they are going to TELL the 1-5th graders they are available, or just have them in their desk drawers, just in case. If they are going to say to the kids 'By the by, we have a basket of condoms in the closet if you need some-just look next to the glue sticks', won't they get a lot of questions regarding what a condom is? And if they get those questions, are they going to ignore them or will they launch into a sex ed conversations? Which then leads to teaching first graders about sex.

33. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2010

Jem, the video says "Yes, even first through sixth graders get condoms and each one comes with a talk about the birds and the bees".

34. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 25, 2010

Oy!

35. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2010

Yep. And yet we have to get permission for our "talk" to the students about starting their periods and wearing deodorant. And trust me, plenty of parents opt out of even that, so I can't imagine how they would (rightfully) react to this.

36. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jun 25, 2010

As a mother of a soon to be 9 year old girl...

This is insane! My daughter is still more interested in disney channel shows and playing than boys...I can't even imagine her teacher giving her a condom, and dear me what would my husband do! I will be the one to have that kind of conversation with her when it's time...

to repeat a PP, why are we robbing these children of their most innocent time in life????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

37. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2010

From what I've read, the condoms are available from the nurse. A child has to go up to the nurse and ask for one. The nurse then speaks to the child about abstinence, then hands them the condom. No notification to parent. There isn't a lesson. The superintendent justifies it by saying that condoms should be available to school children.

I'm sure that she has a major problem with backing down from a generalization...that when questioned about it, she realizes she's in deep doodoo and instead of being intelligent, she just says something like "I meant what I said...all children."

I can't imagine Provincetown will allow her to remain in office. Rightly so. Can you imagine working for someone like her? Deep insecurities coupled with stupidity and self-rightousness. Lovely combination.

38. hac711

hac711 Companion

Jun 25, 2010

Why have parents stopped being the ones to parent their own children?? I could just imagine my parents if I came home with comdoms from school in first grade...my father would probably be in jail right now for murdering someone!

39. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Jun 25, 2010

I think the school should give the condoms to the students, then let those kids grow up and sue the school/district for robbing them of their childhood.