Proud of my school

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Aliceacc, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2007

This week, for the second year in a row, members of our Woodworking club have headed south to Mississippi. They've gathered donations of supplies and are helping to rebuild the faculty room and some classrooms of a school damaged by Hurricane Katrina. (Last year it was the library and other classrooms of the same Catholic School we've "adopted") The kids are put up in local homes. Faculty members have driven the busses down so the whole thing costs very little to the school.

But these kids are giving up their week off in the service of others.

Sometimes, schools get it absolutely right. This is one of those times.

3. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Feb 20, 2007

Thats really neat that your school can do that for another school. I bet it will be something they remember all of their lives.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 20, 2007

Yes, indeed!

5. misswhammy

misswhammy Rookie

Feb 20, 2007

Bless your school. What a great educational opportunity!

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 20, 2007

The University of Cincinnati has several different opportunities for students to volunteer their help during Spring Break. This year they are going to - Miami (Habitat for Humanity), Mexico (building a church), Cumberland Mts. (housing repairs for the poor), Appalachia (housing assistance), and Kentucky (home repairs).

I think it is wonderful that students volunteer to others, rather than just go partying for Spring Break.

7. briannasoloski

briannasoloski Rookie

Feb 20, 2007

That is very cool. I would love to do that one summer.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2007

They did it again.

Today they held a one day fundraiser for the same school.

They showed videos of the kids who went down over February break on yesterday's AM announcements. Then they announced that today, instead of selling junk food in the cafteria, there would be money collection bins set up. All proceeds would go to the school we've "adopted." The kids were certainly free to bring their own snacks-- and they did-- but were asked to donate any loose change as well as any other spare money, to the Gulf Coast. As a Catholic school, it was tied into our observance of Lent.

Today we raised over $5000.

They'll delay in sending a check, so that kids who forgot money today can contribute next week. But it was a one day push; after today, the collection bins are in the chaplain's office, so no one feels pressured to continue to give.

Again, so often schools do things wrong. But I think we're doing this right.